Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just finished watching Frank on Netflix, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I had no idea what to expect going into it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody else mention it. I'm also pretty surprised it's billed as a comedy, because while it's quirky and has a few funny moments, it gets pretty drat dark in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did the ending mess you up?

Yeah, it got me. I don't think they could could have written a better ending for the film than that.

I dunno why everyone singles out Fassbender's performance though, I thought the entire cast was great. I was really impressed with Gleeson, I (probably unfairly) wasn't expecting much from him, and Maggie Gyllenhaal nailed it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The Babadook scream is really, really jarring if you played a bunch of video games in the 90's, since it got used in DOOM, Xcom, and I think even Resident Evil, among others. It didn't ruin the movie or anything, but it definitely stuck out and it was such a bizarrely lazy decision given how much effort they put into other parts of the movie. Like if you are going to use a stock sound, at least run it through a filter or distort it a bit or something so it's not exactly the same.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It's pretty much the Wilhelm Scream of 90's nerd poo poo.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Indeed he does.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anybody that hasn't seen Elephant Man needs to get on that before it expires.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Elephant Man is a great, great film, though I really want to know how much work it took to keep David Lynch so restrained. It feels like the only one of his films that could have been made by someone else (apart from the very beginning and the very end).

Also the makeup work on John Hurt is fantastic; Elephant Man is the reason there's even an Academy Award for Makeup and Hairstyling.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was his first studio film and I personally think he was intimidated by Mel Brooks.

I still love Brooks' response to the Paramount execs that wanted to cut the opening and closing sequences: "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

Mel Brooks is awesome.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Going to recommend Southcliffe . It's about a spree shooting in a small English town (this isn't a spoiler), though most of the focus is on the aftermath and how people come to terms with everything that happens. It's got a great cast and the entire thing wraps up in 4 episodes, so definitely give the first episode a shot and see if it hooks you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'll watch almost anything with Michael Shannon in it, but man Iceman was dull.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Speaking of Shannon, if you ever get the chance to see Take Shelter, you absolutely should. I vaguely remember it popping up on Netflix once upon a time, so maybe it will come back.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Blue Ruin is really impressive for a crowd-funded film. I'm not usually a big fan of revenge films, but it plays with some of the tropes in interesting enough ways and the lead performance is great.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just watched Heathers. Such an 80s movie. I love the idea of someone getting suspended for bringing a real gun to school. Also something that really struck me is how similar Slater's character is to Heath Ledger's Joker, from the coat to the posture, mannerisms, and even speech patterns. I wonder if that was a big influence or just an odd coincidence.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

beanieson posted:

It's been a while but isn't Slater just doing a Jack Nicholson homage?

I could definitely see that, I was so distracted by the similarities that I didn't stop to consider that Slater himself might have been taking major cues from someone else.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I thought the new Aziz was kind of disappointing. It felt like he was playing things safe for the most part, and his timing was all over the place. Not terrible by any means, but I thought it was easily the weakest of his sets that are on Netflix.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I have always insisted that Heath Ledger is doing the world's greatest Paul Giamatti impression in The Dark Knight, to the point that it's ruined the entire movie for me now.

drat you for this.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is there like a shortlist of X-Files episodes considered to be the "best"? I watched the show as a kid but I don't remember any of them, and realistically I have a lot of stuff I'd rather watch this month besides a marathon session of X-Files.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Does Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt get better? People keep recommending it to me, but the pilot was aggressively unfunny. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes if it improves, but I'd rather start watching something else from my giant backlog of shows if not.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Question for the people with Hulu:

Does the selection of Criterion movies cycle around or anything? There's a ton of good stuff on there, but obviously not everything. Do they rotate movies in and out, or is it just a static library that they are adding to over time? Just wanna know if I should be worried about movies disappearing from my queue or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

coyo7e posted:

It's kinda like an xbox downloadable game. They remove it from the listings but you can still watch it if you had hold of it the right way - which in this case is have it open and about to play, or already playing. I'd bet that they have a system in place to leave the actual content up for at least 24-48 hours after removing it from the viewers' lists (probably a week, if it was my guess, in case of weird legal back and forth that might get something put right back up immediately,) as well.

Stir of Echoes. I dunno what service it's on, but one of my all time faves.

I was scrolling through Netflix the other day and saw that there is apparently a Stir of Echoes 2, about a guy who comes back from Iraq and sees a ghost. I almost want to watch it because it feels like there might be some interesting stuff under the hood but holy moly it looks bad.