Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Franchescanado posted:

I agree, they are pretty meta, but this time they're meta with their own material instead of an outside source/genre. Consider how Burn After Reading handles those same subversions:

Anyone who has an altercation does it without knowing why they're having an altercation. When Brad Pitt meets George Clooney, his head is blown off immediately--typical Coen hyper-violence, but completely out of nowhere, without reason (it was a surprise/accident). Or when John Malkovich hacks away at Richard Jenkins with a hatchet, he is drunk, paranoid, and pretty much confused with anger. It's also important that this is the "final moment of violence" that punctuates the denouement of most Coen movies, but instead of a wood chipper, a battle outside of a bowling alley, a flood, a fire, a car accident, a tornado, anything sensational or Act-of-God, it is a distant shot of a man attacking another man. It's still very violent, the sound effects are still there, but it's muted and we are removed from it.

They take the concept of a running joke and literally turn it into a running joke about George Clooney running.

Frances McDormand is usually considered the heroine or a romantic interest. In BAR, she's neither. Ultimately she's the crux of villainy, and she's used in an affair, and she is "aged" and vain. And after this movie, she's hasn't been used in that type of role again.

There's no real overall conspiracy, everyone is just selfish and too ignorant to see the answers are in front of them the whole time

The movie ends with a punchline that not only emphasizes the movie's playful theme of absurdity, but can be used to summarize most of their movies (especially post-BAR movies that heavily deal with knowledge/understanding/absurdity):

CIA Superior: What did we learn, Palmer?
CIA Officer: I don't know, sir.
CIA Superior: I don't fuckin' know either. I guess we learned not to do it again.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir.
CIA Superior: I'm hosed if I know what we did.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir, it's, uh, hard to say
CIA Superior: Jesus loving Christ.

I'm sure there's a lot more to make a stronger argument, but it's been a few years. I'll rewatch it soon and reconsider.

It's incredibly re-watchable; lot's of tiny little throwaway jokes that are still in line for their characters. One of my favorite joke in the movie is Tilda Swinton is one of the coldest, bitchiest shrews of a woman in recent history - and she's a loving pediatrician! Of all the medical careers she could have chosen, she chose one of the most demanding as far as having a pleasant, warm demeanor goes. And even that isn't just a random gag for the sake of it - she's married to a spoiled, drunk, unimportant man, so no wonder she's always pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Green Room is quite a bit heavier than The Guest.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
My issue with the movie version of The Mist's ending is that the books ending was far superior and really didn't need changing. In the book, they just drive on not knowing if they're actually going to make it to Hartford, or even if they do, that there will still be people there. It's also perfectly ambiguous as to if the mist has spread further than New England, or even taken over the whole world.

The movie fucks that all up by killing the kid and then having the military roll in. So now you know the event was just localized and that everything is going to be alright. Like, it's shocking that the kid dies by his own fathers hand, but the stakes were a hell of a lot higher than that when it was potentially apocalyptic event that was occurring like in the book. When the military rolls by in tanks and stuff, that's basically a happy ending compared to the book - the only thing that makes it somewhat unhappy is that kid died, but again, there were just monsters the size of buildings tearing people apart so in the grand scheme of things it's still not too bad an outcome for the world.

The movie should have ended with the zoom-out where it shows the skyscraper-sized monster utterly dwarfing the SUV.

Stephen King says he wished he thought of the movie ending, but Stephen King can't write a good ending to his stories to save his own life, so I think that proves quite objectively that the book ending is the better one.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm about 20 minutes into the first episode of Chappelles new stand-up specials on Netflix and it's good.

I'll be honest; I was a little worried that he'd lost his edge because I'd seen a very rambly Dave up on stage in Oakland a few years back but rest assured he's just great so far, he's really enjoying himself on stage, he's got great jokes.

Welcome Back to primetime Dave!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Schindler's List is up on Netflix. I'd watched it in a few different classes for different reasons but I'd never sat down to actually watch for the sake of watching it.

I don't think Spielberg has made a better movie; it's a beautifully done movie and you can feel the reverence for the subject matter in every single scene and frame.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I like a lot of Spielberg's films but I think the criticism that a lot of his stuff is easily digestible rather than more nuanced holds some water.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
No, but he is consistently good.

He's also much more than just a director, he's been a major force in pushing the film industry forward.

And Schindler's List is an amazing film so to get back to my point, everybody should choose a rainy evening to really settle in and watch it.

"Ist das Bach?"
"Nein. Nein, Mozart."
"Mozart?"
"Ja."

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
It's also kinda stupid to try and choose "The Best" when it comes to movies, music, photography, food, architecture, or basically anything else where you can see that somebody is a master of their craft to the point where it's your own subjective opinion rather than their technical excellence that let's you like or dislike the output.

"Does Spielberg deserve to be listed among 'The Greats?'" is a much more fruitful debate, and I'd say that Schindler's List alone makes that answer an inarguable yes.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
"The Departed" is up on Netflix. It's a pretty obscure movie, probably a lot of you haven't seen it yet but it's good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Alterian posted:

The Netflix Fyre Festival documentary is pretty entertaining. I also noticed several Nine Inch Nails songs as background music.

The Hulu one is a lot better, in my opinion.