Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"That's not Jim from The Office, it's the one guy from The League who looks like Jim from The Office" they all cried in unison

E gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've only seen the first episode of Danger 5, but I love it. It's like Team America meets Darkplace. There are definitely some slower parts, but there's a lot of hits too and I lost my poo poo when their boss has an eagle head.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just finished Wilfred. I thought it ended pretty well; the last season had a few places where it gets slow but being a directionless former dog owner myself it completely crushed me when Wilfred died, like I'm about to tear up writing this. It was sort of bittersweet that Ryan was just insane the whole time. It really couldn't have turned out to be anything else, and him being able to "keep" the Wilfred hallucination is a kind of twisted happy ending.

Crank is as close to Grand Theft Auto: The Movie as we'll probably ever get.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I really enjoy the Vice doc series on HBO and would like any recommendations along the same lines that are available on Netflix or Hulu. Just like, world news stuff/environmental/cultural. Maybe things you aren't likely to hear much about in detail through major news outlets. I know there's a lot of options out there but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I hate Anthony Bourdain, but his stuff on Netflix (there's two or three different shows) is pretty similar on tone to Vice. Also Departures, and some of the drug documentaries like Drugs Inc and Breaking the Taboo (The Union and it's successor/sequel Culture High also come to mind, but they both sort of fall apart toward the end). I haven't seen Bulletproof Salesman, about the international and dealer, but that also might be what you're looking for.

The Animatrix is up too, relive the anime you forced yourself to watch because you thought it would give you deeper insight into Revolutions.

edit: this is all Netflix

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 3, 2015

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

I think it just premiered over the weekend, but has anyone dipped their toes into Sense8 on Netflix? Created by the Wachowski siblings and J. Michael Straczynski it looks like something along the lines of The Tomorrow People.

Edit: Oops, I'm dumb. It premieres this Friday June 5th. I could swear I saw a full episode up already. Still, anyone hear anything about it?

It's about a group of unrelated people spread across the world who have access to each others minds and bodies; there were some cool ideas like a character being in multiple fights in different locations at the same time in the trailer I think.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 1, 2015

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just watched a bunch of Nicolas Cage movies. The best one on there now besides Lord of War is probably Snake Eyes, there are a couple of shots in it that are so long and complex I had to rewind them to see where they started. Even if you don't like the movie the scene where he walks into the stadium is awesome and basically why they did the whole thing. The Outsider (?) is almost worth watching because Cages character loses an eye part way through and just squints his eye for (most of) the rest of it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

There is a weird scene where it shows a crotch scar for a second. I don't think it's discussed any more than that in the movie, but I believe in the book it goes into more detail about how he had his dick cut off at some point. I haven't read it though.

Edit: I do think there were some scenes where he is like "I'm not a girl" but it's supposed to trip you up like "yeah I know, you are a vampire".

This is loving bizarre. Yesterday i randomly remembered the last time this thread had this very discussion and went hunting for this scene, only to realize as i scanned through that i had forgotten like 90% of this movie. How far in is it?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

These are two of the tricks Netflix uses to keep their content looking fresh so subscribers who are iffy about keeping the service have something to look forward to. It's similar to their notoriously poor treatment of popular documentaries and classic films: they disappear and reappear at random so that their service appears 'curated' instead of simply being a library with reliable long-term access for stuff you can't watch right now but will get to eventually. Content rights have something to do with it too, probably.

It's all content rights. Also, I worked for Netflix, don't bother calling in and requesting stuff like that get fixed; it just annoys the poo poo out of the agents who have no control over the content (and don't actually have a way of "requesting" content or "taking feedback," Netflix knows you want all the seasons of show X and gives the agents a tracker that dumps your request into the aether).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

If you're a fan of so-bad-it's-good movies then your double attraction this month is Snake Eyes and Sphere

Snake Eyes loving rules

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

Coven was the most boring, but Freakshow was actively terrible.

It's like if Coven were The Eagles, Freakshow would be Insane Clown Posse. Literally.

I watched Asylum, it was inspired. I've tried to watch the other seasons and i can't get into them.

Seriously, serial killer+demonic possession+ nazi doctor+prescient social issues+loving alien abductions, i was surprised by almost every episode

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: I just googled the original ending and I guess that addresses half my questions.

Actually never mind the theatrical ending is terrible now that I think about it.

The book is even better, the vampires point out that he's been murdering them in their sleep, and he's the monster, then they execute him

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Do any streaming services actually let you do the commentary tracks and stuff for anything?

Netflix has commentary on some of their originals, check the audio/language tracks!

veni veni veni posted:

One movie I've always wondered about the ending of is Source code. It really seemed like it was supposed to end at the freeze and al of a sudden there's 5 extra minutes of sappy poo poo.

I always figured it tested poorly and they tacked that on.

Source Code would have made an absolutely awesome reverse Quantum Leap-esque TV series. Each disaster is prevented, freeing from/keeping the dude in the capsule, free dude rides off into the sunset, capsule dude is ready for the next disaster. Build on the concept from there; an episode where he prevents a disaster or attack inside the facility and assumes the identity of his own CO or a mole inside the organization comes to mind right away. I loved that movie.

It fits with the rules the movie sets up that if he prevents the disaster, he gets to go on in that survivors body and timeline, but that also means the disaster never happened, which means the whole time another version of him was just waiting in his little time capsule. Ugh, i love that stupid movie

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 22, 2016

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm always late to great shows, and holy poo poo the Netflix original The Crown is so great. John Lithgow should be knighted. Can John Lithgow be knighted? That fish pond painting scene, gah.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I always read the monster in It Follows as blossoming teenage sexuality. There's a few scenes that just make more sense from that perspective, and i seem to remember one scene that kind of shouts it (the guy friend awkwardly offering himself up to have sex with the main character so the monster comes after him, i think).

A better STD movie would be any vampire movie. Except Daybreakers, which is about overthrowing capitalism.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

They're all 20 somethings though, pretty sure. My hot take is that it's about the Millennial generation experiencing existential terror when confronted with the inescapable fact that they aren't children, the world they're inheriting is a picked over, hollowed out shithole and there's nowhere they can go and nothing they can do to escape that reality. Seen through that lens Adulthood in the 2010s is a certain kind of spiritual death, and the creature in It Follows functions as the despair urging towards annihilation that can overtake you when you realize the predicament you are in & have always been in. Using Detroit as the setting and stuff like the quotes they chose from The Idiot kinda support that.

They're in college, i was initially remembering them being high schoolers. I'm mostly thinking about the monster as the old lady (fits with your interpretation, but also works as a young person looking forward to a time when they'll be undesirable with a kind of existential horror), the naked guy in the roof (who is not attractive, but is definitely naked, an uncomfortable image whose brief time on screen you probably spend recoiling), her friend in the bikini (representing sexual curiosity), the little boy (perhaps a representation of the innocent affection of childhood, now transformed into a tireless stalking monster), and finally the shape it takes at the end, which we don't get to see and is almost certainly her father (elektra). Her friend also gets iced when the monster turns into his step mom and, in the only scene where we get to see a kill happening, appears to have sex with him (oedipus).

This isnt saying she's "into" the monster's form at all times, it's just the inexpressible and uncomfortable feeling of this animal waking up inside of her/you/a person of a similar age. It would work better if they were in high school like i thought i remembered, but in the same breath I'll say that college is where a lot of people awaken sexually.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

david_a posted:

They make it pretty easy to unsubscribe for a few months. Take advantage of it! For the foreseeable future I'll probably be hopping around between various streaming providers because I can't justify paying for multiple services. I had Hulu a few months ago, currently on Netflix, and will probably switch to HBO Now in the near future. If you let the content build up you'll have a nice cache of stuff to watch when you switch back.

This man speaks the truth. Its not cable anymore! Don't pay for services you're not watching and experiment with all of them because they almost all give you a free month every year or six months. When i worked at netflix we were specifically instructed not to try to get people not to cancel, and you can also just do it online. You get the rest of that pay period to watch, and if you call and are nice can sometimes get it refunded.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I want to like The OA but i can't shake the feeling it was written by someone whose kid is an iredeemable piece of poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

I thought the first episode was really good but about around episode 4 it really started to weaken and just got more and more corny from there. There's very little development for a couple of what should be more important characters and some really unnecessary scenes The second scientist researching the NDEs. Wtf?! Came out of nowhere and added nothing. I watched it through to the end because I'm a glutton for punishment and I can't help but feel a really good premise was just totally wasted and the ending was just bleh, really? .

Im getting close to finishing and I feel pretty much the same way. I loved The Cell, Flatliners, and Sense8 and this seemed like a big mash of those things, but I was shouting at my TV wishing they weren't making some of these lame choices. More than anything, the spoiler you mentioned reminded me of Laurence Fishburne in Predators: awesome, intriguing concept you can't wait to see what they do with oop and he's dead. I got the same feeling of writers trying to stuff in more ideas than they could in the time they had, but they had eight hour-plus episodes and chose to use the bulk of their time dragging out just the strangest things.

edit: Jesus Christ the ending

edit 2: please do not misconstrue that as an endorsement, dont watch The OA

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

OA is a pretentious , art shool students wet dream and oh my god is it so loving bad. I hate to use this term because it makes me sound like an alt-right rear end in a top hat, but the whole thing felt like it was written while in someone's 'safe space'. Lets stop school shootings with interpretive dance!

I don't like to think that i get offended, but even after having slept on it i can't really describe the end as anything but offensive or at least ridiculously tone deaf and in unthinkably poor taste.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

His daughter's name is Harley Quinn and she fights foot tall sausage nazis in Yoga Hosers, the follow up to Tusk (prequel to Moose Jaws). I didn't make any of that sentence up.

Does he finance all of this with Clerks royalties or

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's probably safe to say Smith and Depp are buddies. Lord knows depp didn't have any reason he needed to be in Tusk.

They probably bonded because Depp likes acting in terrible movies and Smith loves making them.

I think once you reach a certain level that's all you need. Johnny Depp was already successful, but really had his ticket punched by a movie based on a theme park ride for Pete's sake and can do whatever he wants. Kevin Smith has a standing invitation to every comic book and sci fi festival. See also: the Sandler gang that apparently film their "comedies" at locations where they want to spend the summer.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Tell us more about how much you hate political correctness but stand above its effects

Hahah i don't give a poo poo about political correctness, how can you watch that scene and not have your testicles crawl up into your body out of sheer embarrassment for the writers who came up with it and the actors who had to do it on film and in front of a crew

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I just got to see The Shining in theatres on 30mm, it owned. They played a Mr Magoo cartoon instead of previews haha. Anyway, the shining is pretty good as far as movies go or whatever

Check out Room 237 on Netflix, it's a bunch of people ranging from semi-crazy to completely crazy giving their interpretations of The Shining.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah Room 237 is great, I like the guy who starts rambling on about how the moon landing was faked and how the government audits him every year and keeps him under surveillance.

:tinfoil:

The moon landing interpretation had some of the best evidence :tinfoil: My favorite parts were really the analysis of the movie itself. I never noticed the impossible window or the kitchen weirdness. It made me realize how much attention to detail there is in the movie. What are some other good films-about-films? Because

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I got stoned all day and watched Still Game. Stoned or not it was great, along with Chewing the Fat it reminded me of Snuff Box or Mitchell and Webb.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dog Eat Dog is stressful as gently caress, but you just can't stop watching after that opening scene. I thought i was watching for Nicholas Cage, but he seems nuanced and reserved next to Willem Dafoe.

Looking for a Friend for the End of the World is funny, pretty good date movie and a reminder that Steve Carell is actually a great actor beyond yelling funny things in The Office.

The Wraith is a 1986 teen racing movie, basically The Crow meets The Fast and the Furious. I don't know why I started watching it, but it's awesome and one of those 80's movies you had no idea all your favorite actors was in. Clint Howard looks like the guy from Eraserhead

edit: the car in The Wraith is a Dodge M4S.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slandible posted:

In need of some more good horror movies on Netlifx. Have seen and love things like:

It Follows
Green Room
Hush
Kristy
Babadook
Girl Walks Home
The Host
Youre Next
Bound to Vengeance

(Obviously like horror with a heroine)

The Innkeepers! What a loving great movie. Horror with a heroine, well acted and a script that didn't make me cringe. It's a little slow i suppose, but I'd probably say it has at least the pace of Babadook and It Follows.

edit and a great poster/splash/cover art

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 12, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Really love the chemistry of the leads in this movie. Really breaks the whole "Characters in horror movies suck" trope with two charming characters.

Yes! I believed pretty much every second they were on screen, they really pulled off a couple scenes in particular that were tense to me in different ways the scene where he thinks it's leading up to a kiss, but she just wants to keep scooby-dooing, and the scene just after where she sees the ghost, but he doesn't want to turn around.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Just finished Watching 3 Mics with Neil Brennan. Goddamn that was a good stand-up show, I highly recommend it. I could relate to his emotional points so I laughed my rear end off and was deeply impacted on his emotional points within minutes of each segment.

Other good stand up with heart that's not necessarily clean is anything with Mike Birbiglia and Bo Burnham's what.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"America--which I invented" [booing]

https://youtu.be/aVZs0hRxdYQ

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

morestuff posted:

I really liked the first season but the first five minutes of S2 was so offputting I bailed

There are almost no redeeming parts, i wonder if they did more than a single pass on it. The first season even dragged at a few points late in the game, i couldn't believe it was the same people who wrote the "we can't let them find my husband's bones" bit

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

So for people who burned out on the whole zombie thing like 5 years ago, Train to Busan really brings something new to the table? It feels fresh?

All the poor zombies live in the back of the train and have to eat candy bars made of cockroach brains

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

my summer at fat camp posted:

Netflix browsing will always be useless until they add the most desired feature - "Never show me this again"

We were told this would never happen "because of licensing agreements," I guess because Netflix paid for it and the copyright holder gave it to Netflix to put it in front of people so you're drat well going to see it's available, basically.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I Love Dick, The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson 's pilots were all released at the same time and they all got picked up for a full season on Amazon.

This could be a single movie about penis variety

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My 20-something roommate experience was much closer to Workaholics than How I Met Your Mother, so while parts of it were enjoyable it mostly came off as nostalgia for a 90s-esque fantasy of what living in New York would be like.

I thought the consensus here was that Don't Trust the B was awful? Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ChickenMedium posted:

Since Netflix has Bill Nye, Amazon should fire up a reboot of Beakman's World

I heard an npr interview with beakman once, he's huge in like South America and does tours and stuff.

e here we go, looks like he's popular from the rio grande to the straits of Magellan:

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/26/443168428/remember-beakmans-world-the-wacky-scientist-is-still-big-in-latin-america

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Handmaid's Tale is great, but it's a little on the nose

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

^^slick little standalone streamer, size of a deck of cards, also comes as a stick like a jump drive^^

Rokus are probably the best, Amazon Firesticks have a UI and everything and basically work like a roku. Chromecasts are meant for casting from a device to a TV, so you can't even use them without another gadget to actually play Netflix on, and consequently can burn in hell in a big pile.

e and for gods sake don't buy a smart tv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 18, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

aren't all new tv's smart tv's?

Yeah this might be the case. Ive just found them to be a little less reliable wifi wise, theyre better hooked straight up to the modem/router which isnt always possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Your Castlevania trailer.
https://youtu.be/iIMrFnl5NiA

Edit: Got the right thing copied now!

Ha, that NES interface is a "real" thing that some of the developers showed off at one of their engineering conferences/expos.

e: found it!

Netflix Hack Day 2015 (Towards the bottom)

Neat seeing it in action, I had no idea it could stream the movie in 8-bit too (unless that was just for effect). Warning, the Netflix tech blog can be a black hole.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 26, 2017