Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That was SUCH a well edited doc. They created several amazing twists just with the careful doling out of information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Starting Wild Wild Country. Interesting story so far but they need to chill the gently caress out with the sound effects.

(City name comes up on screen)
WHOOOSH

(Someone’s name comes up on screen)
SCRIBBLING PEN NOISES

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Field Mousepad posted:

That's a really strange thing to be annoyed about.

Not when it gets in the way of hearing some of the dialogue

Edit: looks like the distracting sound effects were only in the first episode, didn’t notice any in 2 and 3

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 22, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cube 2 is dumb, but I have to admit I kind of enjoyed it for being dumb.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

married but discreet posted:

Memories of Murder is on Prime and probably one of the best movies, people should watch it.

My favorite procedural, even slightly above Silence of the Lambs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
M Night didn’t get what made his own movie work because he ripped off the general premise from an episode of Nickelodeon’s Are You Afraid if the Dark:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/34374-the-sixth-sense-ripped-off-an-are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-episode-heres-the

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Parachute posted:

yeah im just spitballing here but i dont think AYAOTD was the first one to come up with that concept

Maybe not but based on the details it appears to be the one M Night was cribbing off of

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey if you haven’t seen it (it didn’t get much of a push in the US), Girl With All The Gifts is on Amazon prime, a zombie movie that is surprisingly thoughtful and moving.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a good way to see what movies and TV shows are available on international versions of Netflix and Amazon prime?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Barto posted:

I didn't like it at all. The characters' actions made no sense, the ending made no sense either. I felt it was quite a waste of time. Almost on Walking Dead Season 7-9 levels, but shorter, so at least there's that.

Think of it like The VVitch or Ex Machina where the girl has been treated like garbage by the people who were supposed to be on her side for so long that when their fate rest in her hands, she can’t come up with a good reason why they’re worth saving

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How is Sabrina? The trailer looked like Footloose except the boring normies are now the good guys

Edit:

thelaughingman posted:

It's just plain bad.

How bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Random trivia: Kubrick bought the same special lenses used in NASA satellites because it was the only thing at the time that could capture enough light from a candlelit-only room. I think only six of them were ever made?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Whoa, Filmstruck shut down?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bird Box’s screenplay adaptation was by Eric Heiserrer, the guy who adapted Arrival. Good job.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love his other movies I just wasn’t happy with that one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dredd is up there next to Robocop as being both awesome action and deeply meaningful statement

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Inspector Hound posted:

.. which Robocop

E gently caress it, i think the new Robocop was better, just that scene where they slowly reveal which parts of him are robotic while he just mourns in disbelief still makes me uncomfortable to think about

Both. Both Robocops are excellent movies for different reasons. Dredd is up there with both in standing up to analysis and interpretation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Netflix never shares their numbers so they hold all the cards when it comes to negotiation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Netflix doesn’t bother marketing 99.999999% of the stuff on their service, especially if it’s not a Netflix Original because they think word of mouth does most of their work for them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One time I saw the DVD at Dollar Tree and didn't but it. I don't really have an excuse for why I didn't.

Because it was DVD and you subconsciously knew you should get the Blu-ray

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

The Hulu documentary about the Fyre festival is great (Fyre Fraud)

At the end they basically say the Netflix one is gonna be full of poo poo because the marketing company for Fyre made the doc and are gonna cover their asses in it.

Strong move, Hulu.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I actually stopped watching the Shield because it was too stressful. Every episode felt like the house of cards was just about to come down

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Hulu one is definitely the better doc, but the Netflix one is still worth watching because of a couple amazing anecdotes

:lolplant:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stealing artifacts from museums and returning them to the third world countries they were taken from sounds alright with me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Netflix’s Fyre:

- mostly avoids talking about Jerry Media’s involvement, which Hulu’s leans into

- avoids Billy’s fraud during Fyre and emphasizes Billy’s fraud post-Fyre

-definitely more professional looking overall, doesn’t lean on stock footage punch ups

-on the other hand misses out on some great moments like dwelling on the mannequin challenge or the pigs biting models

-has some insane anecdotes the Hulu one doesn’t like the veteran marketing guy being asked to suck cock to avoid customs fees

-doesn’t have an interview with Billy

Overall I think the Hulu one is slightly better but you should watch both

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They’re not that long and they’re both fun. Watch both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Crows Turn Off posted:

Someonr else mentioned Hannibal as well, and that was just regular NBC.

“Hello, standards and practices? We’d like to have two naked murder victims with the flesh on their backs flayed and spread out like wings, with all the bloody muscle and stuff visible”

“Okay, but no butt cracks”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
2 episodes into Russian Doll, it seems kinda pedestrian. Does it get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok thanks that’s all I need