Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Honeymoon seemed like a bad X-Files episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I thought the bees and black oil stuff was cool to begin with, but it really went nowhere on the TV show. The first movie was enough of a capper for the show really. At that point you know aliens are definitely real in the X-Files universe, and that was pretty much the point of the show.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
M gave me a nice laugh, but yeah, overall it was just mediocre.

For those that are curious, M is for Masticate. The majority of the short is a long slow-motion shot of an ugly fat dude in his underwear running down the street, hitting people and pushing them down, culminating in him biting the neck of a passerby. A cop shows up and puts a bullet in his head, then smash-cut to two hours earlier where the same guy tells his friend "gently caress YEAH, I'LL DO BATH-SALTS!!!".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

axleblaze posted:

Arononofsky won after the studio tried multiple awful cuts that audiences hated even more. I haven't seen the movie but I also heard that the movie also isn't as crazy as some of the rumors indicated it might end up being.

Noah is pretty cuckoo-bananas already.

It's the bible with a shot of Tolkien in it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That Works posted:

Looking back at Spielbergs wiki I forgot about Empire of the Sun and really dug that one as well.

gently caress yeah! Empire of The Sun is a brilliant, amazing film. Every dad should show that to their young sons.

Just like every mom should show Spirited Away to their young daughters.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You know what should be on Netflix?

Fernwood 2 Night. That show gently caress was loving hilarious. Make it happen, Netflix.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wafflesnsegways posted:

My issue was entirely with the writing. The whole thing felt unfocused and haphazard. They joined a biker gang and then barely mentioned it again.

This was the one part of the show I didn't get. Obviously a biker gang is not going to have the smartest guys in it, but their plan was to dress up like cops.... but keep their giant ZZ-Top beards? And then go in with a guy still dressed like a biker?

In what universe did that plan have even the remotest chance of fooling anyone?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

This is amazing. I want to see if they do the pizza roof toss.

Maybe he just tosses a whole mess o' tacos up there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let's rent out a giant hall at Comic-con! Clearly this film with a miniscule following will draw a capacity crowd!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Transformers: Age of Extinction is up if you hate yourself and want to writhe in pain for nearly 3 goddamn hours

Ugh, seriously. I fell asleep twice during this last night, and when I finally shut it off there was still a goddamn hour of it left.

Plus, Wahlberg and daughters dynamic was fuckin weird, since in any other movie they'd be a couple. Plus plus "The Pill". gently caress off, product placement.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Malloreon posted:

I have not been below 330 items on my list in 3 years, I dunno what you guys are doing.

Watching stuff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Lost Soul - a documentary on the making of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

This was fairly good, but a bit uneven in parts. How did they not even mention that Rob Morrow got replaced with David Thewlis? They just mention that Rob Morrow left.... and then leave it at that. And could they not have got Kilmer in there to comment. That dude is like a D-Tier actor these days, I'm sure he would've shown up if they promised coffee and donuts.

I love watching Richard Stanley though. He's got the weirdest accent, and everything he says sounds like he was up the previous night rehearsing it in the mirror.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LogisticEarth posted:

Hurt Locker is a decent movie, but deserves a lot of flak because it's just total action/thriller junk that is portrayed (and was hyped as) a realistic portrayal of the war in Iraq. Huge amounts of inaccuracies, squads going out solo in a Humvee, blood jamming guns, etc. "Tactical Realism" arguments are usually pedantic and stupid but since it's played straight, the bullshit really takes away from the weight of the film.

No it doesn't.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No1curr.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COOL CORN posted:

It looks like they're moving in the direction of culling their contracts with film distributors, so that they can focus more on original content than existing film/tv.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34110968

Welp, that's the end of Netflix then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sleeveless posted:

I remember when people said this when Netflix first started making original content. And when they seperated their streaming and disc service. And when they increased the subscription price. But it's only doing better than ever before with no sign of stopping.

Yeah, because none of those changed the core business of watching movies.

But if there plans are to stop renewing deals with studios, then that completely interferes with watching movies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Thank you. I was on the fence on whether to put that in my queue because I'm a dumb loving idiot but now I can avoid it.

Seriously, it's so bad.

I really dig his other stuff, but Area 51 was abysmal. The Paranormal Activity movies are no great shakes when it comes to story or cinematography, but Area 51 was student-film level bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dear White People was kind of boring, and didn't really have anything new or interesting to say.

Dwayne Wayne had deeper insights on A Different World than in that movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What do you mean "why"? The entire movie was about extra-dimensional creatures coming through to earth. At the end of the movie you see an exceptionally large one. Pretty self explanatory.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Considering every Columbo episode is basically "I'm a big dumb detective, and you criminals will tell me everything because you think I'm dumb, BUT WAIT, I'm actually smart.", it's still eminently watchable because Peter Falk hits it out of the park every single time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's Sci-Fi?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of animal flicks, I couldn't stop laughing during White God during the "dog fight" scene, which is clearly footage of two dogs playing with each other overlayed with an audio track of dogs fighting.

It's kind of like in Cujo; once you notice that in the scenes where Cujo is directly "attacking" someone that he's actually just licking them to death, the whole movie's tone changes. In the scenes where Cujo is attacking the car trying to get in, they made him do that by putting his favorite toys in the car and then telling him to go get them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cineplex in Canada used to have Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, New York Fries, and Burger King, but they seemed to have all pretty much disappeared out of theaters and they're just back to candy and popcorn poo poo.

Well, they've introduced their new "menu" items, which is code for sub-fast-food-quality garbage that they try and pretend is gourmet. "Yes sir, please enjoy our gourmet food choices, prepared by our in house executive chef, who is whoever isn't on sweeping duty tonight."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yarp.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

axleblaze posted:

Posted this in Genchat but I'll just repost it here with some additions: With Bob and David is the steady decline in quality from a show already showing a decline in quality fifth season that Mr Show never had.

It's not bad or anything and it's often funny with moments of brilliance but it overall just seems really sloppy, with sketches going on way too long and struggling to find a point with a general lack of direction or tightness that the original run mostly had. It's fun seeing the old gang back together but they really don't seem to know why they got back together other than because other people wanted it.

It feels like I'm probably being too negative because it's still a funny and good show but overall there's like 2-3 sketches I'd call great and the rest are just good or worse. The show has the same sense of humor it always did but, for better or worse, these four episodes feels more like them getting together to gently caress around for a little bit without worrying too much than the soul destroying stress factory that produced the original series.

I think I'd probably be a little more kind if it were a ten episode set but it has a far lower good/bad ratio than any of the original seasons and it's condensed into a much shorter package so I felt it all the more.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on the show. The fact that one of the "episodes" was a behind the scenes thing shows they were really struggling to fill time. After all this time too, the people in the live audience are obviously the die hard Bob and David fans, but this just led to ridiculous amounts of laughing at the end of every single sentence uttered during a sketch. The volume and amount of laughter just got to be really off-putting after a while.

Also, I think John Ennis might be the Picture to Jay Johnston's Dorian Gray.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Erebus posted:

Is there room in this theory to explain why Mary Lynn Rajskub looks better now than she did 20 years ago

She's deaf, so her beauty compensated for the lack of hearing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bob really seemed to be sleepwalking through some of the sketches as well, which was a bummer because he was far and away the strongest member of the cast on Mr. Show.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched all of Detectorists, a charming little comedy series from the UK about metal detector hobbyists and their quirky lives. Written by McKenzie Crook, and starring him and Toby Jones. Great writing, subtle humor, and wonderful cinematography of the english countryside.

Deffo recommended, check it out on Netflix US/Canada.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried to watch Monster Squad for the first time a while back. I guess because I didn't see it as a kid, it definitely felt unnecessary to me.

I loved Monster Squad as a kid, but I rewatched it recently, and man, what a piece of garbage.

The only things I really liked from it still were the redesigns of Wolfman and The Creature.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am super-hyped about Bone Tomahawk. Awesome!

You may want to temper that excitement....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty sure Macro Polo is really just a rehash of the earlier release of Micro Polo, writ large.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
*cymbal crash*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Load up Ridiculous Six, fast forward until you see David Spade and Vanilla Ice. Watch their scenes, then quit out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

computer parts posted:

So I was bored today and I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler was on Netflix so I decided to watch it.

What was the timeline in the Butler, anways? It seemed like by the time he was on old dude, he had been around for like 200 years.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Bone Tomahawk (Amazon Prime) did what I thought was impossible - made me like Matthew Fox. :monocle:

It's a drat fine slow-ish little movie. Really surprised there isn't more discussion about it, since Kurt Russell and all.

Probably not more discussion since it's turrible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Since this uses the Netflix webplayer for it's content, does anyone know if Netflix is still limiting it's webplayer to 720p and lower? They used to do this because of fears of piracy (because pirates will only accept 1080p apparently), but I'm curious if that's still happening.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

enigmahfc posted:

Just wanted to quote this to say holy poo poo the rest of the world gets much better stuff then the U.S.

They don't, not really. Typically when Netflix rolls out a new region, they'll get a few new-release choice picks and drop them in that region to go "Hey foreigners, isn't our content amazing?!", and then after that maybe once a year they'll do the same just to keep you interested. Other than that though it's usually just a stream of crap you've never even heard of.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

In unrelated news, Netflix profits are down as 82% of all users cancelled their accounts.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, it's not like there's an ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD using Netflix with poo poo content libraries and using a simply program would unlock everything else.

I swear a read an article not that long ago that was saying a really large chunk of Netflix users were using some sort of DNS/VPN fuckery to get around region restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

InterrupterJones posted:

I just remembered that We Need To Talk About Kevin was released on Netflix on the first of the year. It was probably already mentioned earlier, but I finally got around to watching it today. drat...if you haven't seen it and want to watch a movie about as dark as a cup of french roast, go watch it.

Is.... is French Roast dark? Not sure how coffee-darkness works.