Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not as ecstatic about it as most people, but's pretty good. Why did you hate it so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

These forums must have the highest percentage of Dredd advocates anywhere. I wholly approve. That movie is fantastic.

I just love how if anyone talks crap about it they just get piled on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why would you say it wasn't interesting or well done? Personally I thought it was one of the most interesting and well done, and aesthetically pleasing action movies I've seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lycus posted:

People used to ask this question about shows on cable all the time. "Original" has always meant "owns the distribution rights for the first local run".

I figured that was the case. It just sounds weird when they actually produce original content and then some of it is pretty obviously sourced from other places.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo Preservation is dumb. The amount of completely implausible poo poo that happens surpasses just about any movie I can think of off of the top of my head. I don't think I went two minutes without thinking "That would never work in a million years, or why is this character doing this?" It's not just big stuff. Small inconsequential events usually make just as little sense.

Weirdly it's shot pretty well and has some solid actors, but woof, what a terrible movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody watched Starry Eyes? Looks interesting but I'm not feeling that adventurous after thinking Preservation looked interesting last night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does he ever get a cool daredevil costume? Didn't see one in the trailer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of violent rear end old timey shows. What's better Spartacus or Rome? I was thinking about starting up one of the two soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

peer posted:

If you do go for Spartacus, be aware that the first episode or two are pretty bad and not representative of the quality or style of the rest.

Good to know. I've started the first ep a couple of times and haven't finished it.

I'll probably go for Rome right now and watch Spartacus next.

Yeah I can't think of a funnier show on Netflix. Also, Amazon Prime has Nathan for You which isn't really the same kind of Comedy but I think it's just about the funniest show ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

e: Never mind

Wish that was a reality show. I'd watch that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If babadook isn't horror I don't know what horror is.

Edit: haha holy poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if we will hit a point where we won't just be at the whim of Netflix' selection. I wish they would do some sort of extended plan for around the cost of a DVD plan where maybe you could stream a limited amount of movies ( new releases/random stuff) that aren't normally offered. I'd pay a little extra for that. I don't know if that's realistic or not.

I guess that stuff is all available to rent through amazon anyways.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Isn't a Girl who Walks home alone at night supposed to be up today?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Drive because it's one of the only movies out there that felt sort of close to No Country For Old Men in it's tone. If that post makes sense to anyone I'd welcome recommendations along those lines.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't seen Only God Forgives. I'll check it out and some of the other ones you guys recommended.

Blue Ruin isn't a bad choice but I don't think it stands up to NCFOM or Drive in overall quality. Still a decent movie though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Canal is worth a watch. It's a little hit or miss in the execution, but overall I'd put it in the good end of Netflix horror. It actually gave me the heeby Jeebies a little bit which doesn't happen often. Definitely not as low rent as the cover art would indicate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I subscribed to this HBONOW thing for Game of Thrones and I'm going to cancel as soon as the season's over. Help me maximize the value of this thing: what else should I watch while I have the chance, TV/movie-wise? I already have the latest few seasons of Veep lined up.

What have you already seen? There is a daunting amount of good stuff on there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

Fwiw I'm not into marvel or dc movies and daredevil did nothing to change that. Not that it's bad, but it's not grabbing me at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

My Xbox One (or my Netflix account?) has not been saving any progress on shows/movies that I watch. It will let me store things in the queue, but my progress on any tv show or movie is a freeze frame of a month or two ago. It is making me crazy. Any advice?

Have you checked on your computer to see if it's the netflix account or the Xbox? Have you tried reinstalling the application or even just logging out/in?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think millers crossing is the only coen bros movie I haven't seen. I really need to get on that. I even had it on blu ray for years and never got around to it. I don't know wtf is wrong with me.

Now I know what I'm watching this weekend at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't finished it, but They Came together was a pleasant surprise. I put in on even though it looked bad, because I like Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd and realized about 10 seconds in that it was basically a spiritual successor to Wet Hot American Summer. I gotta finish that this weekend. From what I watched it's pretty hilarious if you dig their ridiculous breed of comedy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished it last night and I thought it was really funny. Not quite on par with WHAS but if you can handle really stupid humor, it's stupid humor done well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The House October Built is so dumb. It's pretty entertaining if you can stand the garbage the Paranormal activity people are releasing, but the ending is so anticlimactic I was kind of in shock when the credits rolled.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fed Up is awesome. I'm usually wary of docs like this because a lot of them are stupid, but I thought it was really solid.

Also watched a bit of the Chris D'Elia special. I've never heard of him, but the guy is unfunny as poo poo. Terrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the ad that's trying to copy the Harlem Shake fad? Twix maybe? Whatever it is I'm boycotting then for life .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Subscribing to Hulu Plus is worth it anyway for getting access to 90% of the Criterion Collection

It's really not a bad deal as far as content goes. Ads+a sub price is super weak though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm no Criterion aficionado, but I really liked Eyes Without a Face a while back when I watched it fwiw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

The Canal was a very good horror movie but it really let it self down with the dumb ending. One day a horror movie might figure out that TWIST! endings where all the characters die aren't scary. It also killed the idea that the dude was just going crazy, and instead I'm left wondering if evil spirits convinced the kid to kill himself with like 10 seconds of whispering or if they possessed him like the father was

Yeah a few tweaks would have made it a much better movie. The worst thing about it is that for me I never knew what was supposed to be real, and by the end it just kind of turned out that the writing was bad and that was a side effect. I don't know if most of it was even intentional.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sucks that the best thing bing is for should be done incognito.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dreadnought posted:

ABP blocks the majority of the ads for me. Some still sneak through but it works pretty well. You still have to sit awkwardly in silence while you wait for the ad break to end though

Yeah I don't really think that qualifies as working. I'd rather sit through a lovely ad than silence and a black screen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should do one of those Hulu fan ads of a guy who was browsing the criteron collection for smut.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoy the Vice doc series on HBO and would like any recommendations along the same lines that are available on Netflix or Hulu. Just like, world news stuff/environmental/cultural. Maybe things you aren't likely to hear much about in detail through major news outlets. I know there's a lot of options out there but any recommendations would be appreciated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just watched a new found footage thing called The Mirror. It has terrible reviews on Netflix. There's no real plot (three friends by a 'haunted' mirror on eBay to enter a paranormal competition to win a million dollars, they film itt). Acting is decent, pretty well directed and the editing is top drawer.

I loved it. Maybe helped that I watched it in a pitch black and silent room late at night, but it definitely creeped me out.

Nice. I was just thinking about checking that out. That sounds like the type of medocre horror film I enjoy (or maybe just have a high tolerance for)

That Dock Ellis documentary sounds fun on paper but I don't know how anyone could stretch that (albeit amazing) story out into a 1:40:00 film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cat doter posted:

I can't quite remember the first time I thought the academy were full of poo poo, I remember being pretty pissed Crash won and I was probably about 17 when that came out I think.

That movie was convenient when it came out,because you could easily weed out really dumb people when they started talking about how it blew their mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst was the fat dork (with the steampunk collection) getting scammed and pulling up another bikini model photo at the end and talking about how he thought it might work out. Wanted to slap him out of his chair.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was he the one who's wife wore the same comically enormous stripper heels at all times?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. That guy seemed more like a normal guy going through a rough time. Everyone else was really pathetic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grizzly Man is up there. It's not at all like King of Kong obv. but the dude is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody got an opinion on Residue?