Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Robocop 2014 was good. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton were great.

I didn't think it was great, but it was better than I expected. It was still kind of bloodless and charmless, and I didn't understand why Robocop had to look like a 7 foot tall armor robot who could never live a normal life instead of a cyborg with fake skin who could put on equally effective body armor or have it installed under his skin, other than "because it makes the movie work better and is how Robocop is supposed to look". It seemed strange enough that it pulled me out of the movie a little, probably because it was obviously trying to be more grounded and less campy than the original.

Speaking of bloody, I watched Ichi the Killer again last night because a friend had never seen a Miike film, and it's one of those that really makes me wish I had a magic wizard spell that could let me flawlessly understand foreign languages. The subtitles kinda suck and I feel like I'm missing out on some clever wordplay in a funny script, not to mention it further obscuring the already-weird ending.

Oh, re: Miike, is the Japanese version of One Missed Call kind of taking the piss out of the Ringu subgenre of technology-horror films? I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being funny in that way, but sadly it isn't on Netflix. Should I bother watching it again or am I misremembering a bad horror film?

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samfucius posted:

Yeah, it was too on the nose cliche. As for the movie, I didn't find a single short that was as good as my favorites from the first movie, but there also weren't any as bad as the really awful ones.

Yeah, I felt the same way. The original had a lot of awful toilet humor and phoned-in bullshit in it, but I could more easily see myself forgetting the best of ABCs 2 long before the original.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

it frequently uses abrupt, brutal violence, but the dark humor isn't there most of the time, the impact isn't there most of the time. It just feels violent for the sake of violence. A lot of the oddball characters are just out of place too. Billy Bob Thornton's character and especially Mike Milligan seem like they would be more at home in a Tarantino movie than a Coen film. Both of them and their constant monologues and blabbing got old really fast. Also Milligans 2 main henchmen are a good example. They are twins that dress funny, but their isn't anything interesting about them. They look like something from a Coen film, but that is about it. Also, the Coens make a lot of films about bumbling idiot criminals, but most of them in the show are portrayed and stoic or clever and all around badass. Those are just a few examples but the whole show feels like that to me. A lot of what they are going for feels pretty off.

While I hope season 3 doesn't have quirky hitmen in it, I guess it's important to remember that the Coens also adapted No Country, which is one of the most unfunny movies about a badass hitman who's clearly supposed to represent something more than a man ever made. Billy Bob's character in S1 felt like it was drawing inspiration from that, and saying "what if Chigurh were a cavorting, Puckish devil instead of an indifferent God?"

I think part of that Tarantino vibe you picked up in S2 might've just been because that character (Mike?) was a 70s blaxploitation character - a big influence on Tarantino's "house style" and imagination as well - slightly out of time in the 1980s being forced to change.

I agree the show isn't the perfect thing some people seem to think but I love it a lot and think S2 in particular is absolutely crackerjack television, hitting a lot of the marks that prestige TV with fancier pedigrees than "FX original" fails to.

Baku fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Roman posted:

Bright was alright, more hokey buddy cop movie than I expected but it entertained me, and I want to see more of that world. People talking about it like it's Battlefield Earth need to get their head out of their rear end.

I'm having a good time watching it because it's funny and entertaining, but laughing about it feels weird because most of the humor is coming from the uncomfortable juxtaposition with real-life issues

like, the second scene in the movie is will smith, off-duty cop, casually bludgeoning a fairy to death in a scene which is played for laughs

it's one of the strangest movies I've seen in a long time and people are going to write some ridiculous reviews, both positive and negative, of it