Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bright isn't a great movie, but it was entertaining and had some very cool concepts and scenes. I'm glad Netflix picked it up. They have had some really good genre stuff before like Spectral, and Wheelman is genuinely a fantastic movie.

Spectral was the one with those ‘ghost’ things the one scientist had to develop that special light/viewing tech to see, right? And regular bullets didn’t work?

My big complaint, as with most movies where you have a cast of identically dressed military guys is that in some battle scenes, you’re like ‘uh, wait, which guy was that one again?’ I thought it was a pretty neat concept though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unmature posted:

Goon rules. Haven't seen the sequel yet.

Save yourself the waste of time. Watched the sequel last night. Felt unnecessary; and Wyatt Russell was twigging me out because he kept making me think of his dad’s role in The Thing. It just felt like a retread of the first one, all the characters making the same kind of jokes they made in the original.

Funny story, I watched Goon on an international flight. It was like a ‘edited for tv’ version. LaFlamme’s drug-use and manwhoring was cut out so he just seemed depressed, the Russian brothers practically didn’t exist, and Jay Baruchel showed up considerably less than in the non-edited version.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I wasn't expecting The Vault to be good, but it was just aggressively bad.

That’s the Nic Cage and Elijah Wood diamond heist film, right? Yeah, it floundered quite a bit.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I enjoyed the Polka King with Jack Black. I may be a little biased though being from the town where it was set at.

I watched that this morning; I liked it, even though given the Netflix Original branding I was expecting it to be mediocre at best.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nah, more recent Franco heist/horror movie. You're thinking about The Trust?

Ah, dang, that’s the one I was thinking of, yeah. They were trying to break into a super-fortified diamond vault in The Trust, my mind mixed it up.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 14, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea it was based on a true thing. I need to track down the documentary it was based on.

You’re in luck! The doc ‘The Man Who Would Be Polka King’ is also on Netflix!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HBO Go has a really mind boggling documentary called ‘There’s Something Wrong With Aunt Diane’.

Long story short in 2009 a woman named Diane Schuler was driving in the wrong direction, crashed her car head-on into an SUV and eight people were killed: her, her daughter, three nieces, and all three men in the SUV. She had a BAC of .19 and a high level of THC in her system, and they found a smashed vodka bottle near her seat.

The husband and sister-in-law seemed absolutely nuts. They’re pretty adamant that she didn’t drink or do drugs and there was no way Diane would drink and drive with the kids in the car. Experts think she was trying to self-medicate for a tooth abscess.

Though the biggest WTF moment is they showed photos of her dead body

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pahuyuth posted:

What food oriented shows on Netflix do y'all like? My wife recently got me hooked on The Great British Baking Show. I've seen a few of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown which I loved and none of Alton Brown's stuff. I know there are several documentaries to choose from as well.

Someone Feed Phil is a fun one on Netflix. He’s just so goddamn excited to be eating everything. Plus he FaceTimes with his parents and explains mangosteens and lychees and stuff to them. There’s another British show called like ‘Family Cooking Challenge’ or something along those lines and it’s in the same vein as GBBS.

And if you have Hulu there’s a few seasons of Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, and Worst Cooks in America if those kinda shows are your jam.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

precision posted:

All those, especially Cutthroat, are so freakin' good. I just wish they had a better editor but I guess the terrible "confessional" edits are appealing to the usual Food Network watcher.

I really like to put them on when I’m doing housework or just want a little background noise because you don’t have to pay too much attention. Guy’s Grocery Games is a guilty pleasure of mine. Cutthroat is always great when those ding dongs freak out and bid $15,000 in the first round.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Simplex posted:

I watched the remake of Ben Hur on Prime. When the movie came out, I saw several different ad campaigns for it, which made me think they didn't really have any idea who the audience for the movie was. After actually watching the movie, I have absolutely no idea who the intended audience for this movie is. It's equal parts dull, preachy and inexplicably weird (I can get behind weird, but the movie never fully commits to it). There's too little action in the movie to make it even a dumb popcorn flick, but at the same time it's way too gory for the church crowd.

Watching it I honestly can't tell if they started with a subpar action movie that they tried to shoehorn a bunch of religious nonsense into in a desperate attempt to save the movie. Or if they started with a ridiculous religious movie that they tried to save by throwing in some blood and guts. I refuse to believe that this Frankenstein's monster of a film was the original intent.

That sums up my feelings on the Ben Hur remake pretty much.

Though I have to ask, did you burst into inappropriate laughter when the stepbrother(?) was revealed to still be alive? Because man oh man, that twist was so goddamn stupid I just lost it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, I liked Bad Day For the Cut too. Your standard ‘man goes on a quest for revenge’ plot, and nothing all that groundbreaking, but I was very charmed by the bumbling Polack sidekick.

Land of Mine is a good flick on Prime, but it’s a real downer. It’s about German POWs forced to clear mines by hand on the beach.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lycus posted:

They tricked me with the narrative device because I didn't know anything about the National Lampoon guy.

:same:

I was like ‘wait, what?!’ when it got to the end. I got a kick out of the scene with the tennis balls full of coke though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Simplex posted:

I didn't laugh, but yeah, everything after the chariot race is completely ridiculous. That scene in particular is beyond awful. Poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited.

It just hit me as so drat bizarre and out of left field because they had that extended shot of Ben Hur watching the revelers parading Messala’s ‘corpse’ around. I guess he was just knocked out really hard?

And agreed on the editing. The chariot race had like, no cohesion and I couldn’t tell where each racer was in relation to the others during that scene.

And I mean, rabble rabble they altered the plot but the changes were so weird. Like changing up the whole warship/becoming a charioteer portion and taking Balthazar out of the story. Then again I can see why they’d try to tighten it up since the original was like, four hours.

Just a string of bad decisions all around. But in general it seems like those ‘ancient times epic movies’ from the last few years have all gone over like a fart in church.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 28, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

mysterious frankie posted:

All three seasons of Monsters are on Prime. I'm pumped to watch them for nostalgia reasons alone, I don't even care if it turns out to be garbage.

Some of the episodes are super dated of course, but I was super excited when I saw they were on Prime. When I was a kid, we’d eat dinner then I’d hurry up and put on SciFi so I could watch reruns of it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tweet my meat posted:

I've been going through some pretty severe depression lately and Paddington was just the movie I needed. It's an absolutely delightful movie that anyone of any age can enjoy. It's extremely heartfelt, and a lot of the physical comedy is hilarious. One of the best kids movies I've ever seen.

Paddington was so goddamn charming.

And, sorry to hear about your depression. If you’re looking for some more movies like that, I could probably give you a laundry list, as I would search out a lot of movies like that when I was depressed af

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

All this talk of It Comes At Night makes me think of this lovely movie called something like It Knows or It Follows I saw at a film festival.

Probably half the dialogue was ‘What is it?’ ‘It’s it.’ like that Faith No More song.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Stevie Lee posted:

It Follows owns though (and so does its soundtrack)

and it's on netflix

That narrows it down. ‘It Knows’ was the crappy film I was thinking of. I called the ending and left after 20 minutes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

K. Waste posted:

What do the scientists in Life do that's dumb?

Doesn’t Ryan Reynolds pull the classic ‘disregards quarantine’ move when Calvin is crushing that guy’s arm?

Oh, and Sho fucks up and gets the Cosmonauts killed

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s worse than that. He actually hides the dangerous alien from his crew and lets it feast on his legs overnight.

I just thought it had latched on to him and he didn’t realize due to the paralysis?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Disregarding quarantine was the right move there, and would have possibly saved the station if he'd done it immediately like he wanted. As it was, he traded his life for the life of another, which is heroic, not dumb.

The second was the result of a reasonable misapprehension given that he had been lied to about the extent of the quarantine procedures. Again, not dumb.

I must be mixing up the quarantine part with a different alien life movie, because I looked up the Wikipedia summary of it.

And altruistic/helping friends or not, you can still make a bad split-second decision in a panic. Life would have been an even duller film if they went ‘Sorry Hugh! Quarantine protocols and all! Sucks, man.’

I maintain Sho made a dumb move, but I felt like that was panic and that scene where he was looking over the picture of his new baby overriding ‘better worry bout that alien’.

Could someone at least clarify about Hugh apparently letting Calvin feast on him? I assumed he was hosed up from getting attacked and just couldn’t feel him on his legs. Was there some dialogue I don’t remember where he said ‘hey, BTW, got Calvin eating my legs. Have fun!’

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Again, sacrificing oneself for others is not inherently dumb.

I don’t think anyone’s trying to sell this point. That’s like calling out Parker for rushing the Alien to try and fight it hand-to-hand because he didn’t want to light it up after it grabbed Lambert in Alien.

It was a poor choice in retrospect, sure. But he tried to save his crew mate in a split second decision.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh man, if any of you are lame-os like me and like ‘make-over’ shows, Netflix rebooted Queer Eye with a different set of experts. I know it’s super-campy and not for everyone, but I find the sentiment exceedingly sweet, particularly when they were working with an ultra-Christian father of six.

But redecorating that one house with the ridiculous 70s grandma decor was criminal.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pizza valentine posted:

The new Queer Eye is great and I'm bummed it's only 8 episodes.

I sorta binged it, and I feel the same. The man who came out to his step-mom had me all choked up

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

James Woods Fan posted:

I use Hulu to try out anime. I am enjoying Gungrave so far.

My friend got me to check out Attack on Titan. S1 is on Netflix, and I think Hulu has both seasons. It is a weird-rear end show.

All the Hulu anime content, are they all just subtitled?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Field Mousepad posted:

Action wise it's really good and it's a cool take on apocalyptic end of humanity type stuff but goddamn the dialogue and voice acting is terrible.

But it's anime so yeah.

Yeah it’s a typical stupid anime dialogue but I thought the world-building was cool. Action-wise I hate that it’s kind of your typical ‘only the main characters can seem to ever kill a Titan’ and even the most senior members totally job to them, kind of like in Sailor Moon where only Sailor Moon could ever hit the killing blow.

The thing that really caught my attention was in the first ‘defense’ arc, all the kids were gung-ho, psyching themselves up and ribbing each other over who would get the most kills then seconds later that one squad member ends up halfway into a Titan’s mouth.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

business hammocks posted:

My favorite is the elderly couple who receive vaguely threatening notes written in crayon. I still remember how the old man speculated about why he was getting the notes. He said something like “I think they’re a couple of weirdos and this is how they’re getting their kicks. That’s what I think,” in this awesome stoic old-man way. His wife also re-enacted being tied up in the kitchen (there was a little more to the story)and calling the neighbors for help, which is hilarious to watch but obviously disturbing insofar as it supposedly actually happened to her.

My favorite was always ‘Stumbles’ the bank robber. He held up three banks and got away with the cash, but each time he bungled something. First one he tripped on a rug, another one he dropped his gun, and I think the third robbery his pants started falling down.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

david_a posted:

You guys are talking about Robert Stack, right?

I would totally watch some of the Unsolved Mysteries episodes involving alien visitations/abductions because I remember them terrifying me when I was a kid. I always associated that show with paranormal stuff; didn’t even realize it covered things like bank robberies.

They used to have DVD box sets focused on specific mystery ‘types’ like alien abductions and the paranormal. A friend of mine had the set for ghosts because he was an actor in one of the reenactments (his role was sitting up in bed, seeing a ‘ghost’ and screaming ‘Mom!’ over and over)

E: https://unsolved.com/multi-gallery/
You can search through here to find specific case types

Though one mystery in particular makes me want to piss my pants just thinking about it:

https://unsolved.com/gallery/dave-bocks/

Being pushed, dumped or deciding to kill yourself by going into a Uranium smelting furnace is just... mind-blowingly terrifying. Particularly the fact that in the narration, investigators hypothesized he was still alive when he went into the furnace. Thanks Robert Stack, you rear end in a top hat.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

magnificent7 posted:

Has anybody else seen Sample This?

That’s the one where it’s getting kind of dull toward the end, then suddenly dropped that atom bomb about the drummer, right?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I watched The Mist series, and yeah, I can see why it didn’t get a season two. Soldier guy and rad dad were cool and all, but so much of it was just weird, inconsistent and repetitive, and they didn’t do enough with, yanno the actual mist. I feel like it could have done a lot more with some of the plot beats.

I did laugh pretty hard at having a doctor instruct rad dad how to do a complicated, delicate surgical procedure over a loving Walkie-Talkie.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

All this Logan Lucky talk reminds me that I watched Lucky a few weeks ago. It was really sweet, but also sad.

Harry Dean Stanton plays an old man that’s outlived just about everyone he knew and lives in this little podunk town. It kind on looks at the meaning of life, too. Kind of fitting it was his final role...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aside from that there’s also I’ll have what Phil’s having, again it’s just Phil country-hopping and eating things.

I find him so genuine and charming.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Good movies to watch stoned on Netflix? Anyone?

Wolf Cop if it’s still up there. It’s great even if you’re not high.

There is one about coral reefs Chasing Coral (it think that’s the one)maybe isn’t one I’d personally recommend watching while high. There was all these already trippy closeups of coral, and it moving and all colorful and stuff. I started freaking out watching that, but you might like it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rough Lobster posted:

....and it got me in the mood for some straight garbage rear end tv shows.

You want straight up garbage?! Check out ‘Age Gap Love’ it’s such garbage, it may as well be a city dump!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tim Whatley posted:

The Circle is on Amazon Prime and was just so bad

My boyfriend recommended a movie called Circle, I saw The Circle on Prime, thought it was what he recommended.

When I told him the movie sucked and he was an rear end for recommending it, he asked me ‘...oh. Did you accidentally watch that Emma Watson one?’

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

yo when the hell are they making more of the castlevania anime. I can't believe they had the balls to only make four episodes of that dope show

On that topic, why the heck did they leave Grant out of the anime?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because Warren Ellis doesn't really like him, mostly. Partly because Ellis is unaware that his name is actually supposed to be "Grant Danesti" and thinks "DaNasty" is the dumbest name ever.

Well that’s dumb as Hell. Plus ‘DaNasty’ is totally a fitting pirate last name!

Also, thank you to whoever recommended Nailed It. We watched a few episodes and got a good laugh out of it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He was also under the belief that Transylvania was completely landlocked and didn't get why a pirate was running around.

Pirates can get off their boats, and they do it sometimes Ellis...

Just have him go ‘yeah I found this weird treasure map...’ I know the cast would be kind of bloated with all four, considering it was only four eps, but I always played as Grant when I was a kid, so I’m just kind of disappointed.

The thing that bummed me out about Nailed It was that Sylvia Weinstock (guest judge in episode one) wasn’t in every episode. She was absolutely darling!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, the biggest flaw in his reasoning is that the Danube flows right through Romania and was a large source of piracy and Varangian raids throughout the country.

I knew about the Danube, but I never knew about all the piracy and raids. I’m gonna look that poo poo up.

Thanks!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

nate fisher posted:

Jesus I don’t watch reality shows (unless food type ones count), but I just went down the Terrace House blackhole. Never heard of it, but for someone reason Netflix told me to watch the new season. Well I did and for some strange reason I liked it. Now I’ve discovered there are other seasons (under different sub names) on Netflix.

I hope that means they have other episodes already filmed. I need more. Still I’m not sure if anything could beat the pirate doughnut or Trump cake.

My boyfriend was in the bathroom when they revealed grandma’s pirate donut. I paused it, rewound it, and might have laughed even harder the second time due to his reaction.

The one thing I think is lame is that the person who failed the hardest in round one doesn’t get booted before round 2.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

fishtobaskets posted:

I don't mean to spoil poo poo, but if you guys are on the fence about this show:
https://i.imgur.com/bVOAHe4.jpg

Hahaha, I never noticed the tiny hand on the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Just discovered that Netflix has Forensic Files. Haven't watched that since I was twenty. Gonna start on that.

Forensic files is good stuff. Just fair warning, later seasons have some really gross crime scene/dead body photos they show.

‘Hashed brown potatoes’ will never not be funny in the narrator’s super-stern voice.