Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

There's basically always been cinnamon flavored toothpastes for that kind of person.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Cherry and bubblegum flavor have existed since at least I've been a kid.
I remember a few years ago hearing a radio ad for some toothpaste and the big selling point for it was that it wasn't mint flavoured. I don't think they even said what flavour it was. I saw it in the supermarket one time, and I had planned to buy some, but it had completely vanished - never to return - by the time I needed more toothpaste. That is the only time I have ever seen non-mint toothpaste.

Of course, you can always just use baking soda and water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

What third world hell hole do you live in where you can't enjoy root beer?

Literally anywhere but America.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

amityville anus posted:

Cracked sucks it's nothing but clickbait.

Some of their articles are still decent. In fact, there are probably about as many good articles as there ever were, there's just a bunch of crap ones now as well. They still make some pretty good videos though, and one of their podcasts is good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Australia is the best country
Australia is expensive
Australia is part of asia

Melbourne is better than Sydney
Melbourne is design

Sydney is better than Melbourne
Sydney is getting a bacon festival

Perth is a hole
Perth is better than Melbourne
Perth is full of bogans

Brisbane is so boring
Brisbane is a ghost town
Brisbane is the ugliest city on the world

Adelaide is a hole
Adelaide is a backwater
Adelaide is taking a chance on me
Adelaide is better than Melbourne

Hobart is epic
Hobart is made by miller

Canberra is a hole
Canberra is cool
Canberra is known as the bush city

Darwin is considered the father of evolutionary biology
Darwin is wrong

PittTheElder posted:

Good lord, this. I've stopped listening to the pod casts just because of how much time he wastes on whatever hip hop song he likes that day.
Just skip the intro and get straight to the discussion then? It's not like he says anything important in that bit anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Who is Googling "google is not working"? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I want so hard for this to be real that I don't dare investigate...

It's not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I found it interesting that a self-identifying queer-oriented group did it. Having a hell of a time trying to wrap my head around their rationale, though.

They didn't like people using their cause to promote a bank. Seems quite reasonable to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I have a tea kettle and so do most Americans I've known. You're thinking of tea pots.
Most non-Americans talking about kettles mean electric ones, not the old-fashioned stove-top ones that Americans call "tea kettles" (which is adorably twee).

Data Graham posted:

I mean, WTF is wrong with using the microwave?
Well, it's harder to get boiling water because the time needed depends on the weather. With a kettle you just press the button and it stops automatically when the water's hot enough.

BiggerBoat posted:

My Mom drinks a lot of tea and has a tea pot. She swears she can tell the difference between using water from the tea pot as opposed to microwaving a cup of water and dunking a tea bag in it. She's full of poo poo, of course, but I wanted to get in on this bizarre tea derail and that's all I've got.
The advantage of a teapot is that you can use good quality loose-leaf tea. If you're just using bags anyway then you may as well just make it in a mug, it makes no difference.

BTW, with no electric kettles, how do you make two-minute noodles? In a saucepan on the stove? Or do you microwave a bowl of water to boiling and then put the noodles in and microwave it some more?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If they kill you then it's not an exception, is it? :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What is this from?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trent posted:

It reads like a stupid riddle out of context, I guess.
Apparently it read like a stupid riddle in context to at least one student.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Not really, it's the way most people do math mentally they just don't write it down and realize it. If I asked to you add 1127 to 94 you drat sure wouldn't be doing it in your head the way you'd do it on paper.
Which way you do it probably depends on what you were taught in primary school, but I'm pretty sure anyone who learned it the way I did absolutely would do it the same way in their head as on paper, because that's just the way you do it.

Unoriginal Name posted:

(8+2)+3=(10)+3

You quickly know what adds up to 10, then you figure out the rest.
How is this any easier than just adding single digit numbers and carrying across? In fact, I'm not sure I understand how this works at all.

76+
====

The way I learned, you go 6+6=12, write down 2 and carry 1, add the 1 to the 7 then add the 5 to the resulting 8 and write down 13. The other way you take 2 from the 6 to make 4, write down the 2 and carry the 10. You add the 10 to the tens column giving you 1+7+5, and then... you add the 1 to the 7 to make 8, realise that 8+2=10 and take the 2 from the 5, giving you 3 (which you write down), and then you carry the 10 to the next column as a 1? Is that how it works? That seems overly complicated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

breaks posted:

"write down 2 and carry 1" is the same thing as "take out 2 and make 10", just with somewhat different phrasing.

No it isn't. 6+6=12 is simple addition, one step. The other way you have to start with 10-6=4, then 6-4=2 to get to the same answer. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

breaks posted:

6+6=12 is not any different between the "old way" and common core. poo poo, the common core standards explicitly specify that students should have the sums of all pairs of single digit numbers memorized. What's different is what you said the first time. When discussion addition in a broader sense, the traditional way focuses on the "carry the 1" - the mechanical procedure of addition, observing an immutable problem and calculating an answer by totaling up columns of single digit numbers. Common core focuses on the "make 10" - the concept of a tens digit, the properties of addition, reasoning about the properties of an equation and how to manipulate it into a more easily solvable form.
I have no idea what this means. :shrug:

Trent posted:

I bet you argued with the teacher about showing your work, didn't you?
I certainly did. You'd get a problem like:

4 x 7 + 3 x 8

and I'd write out

28+
===
5¹2

and be told I hadn't shown my working. I still have no idea what working they thought I was leaving out.

FadedReality posted:

I was farting around on Khan Academy a few weeks back and it gave me a positive number plus a negative number problem. I realized I had never been taught WHY that makes a positive number and had to really look around for answers beyond "because it just is and math is correct or incorrect". Same thing for why you can invert and multiply when dividing fractions. I say if kids are learning the why these days then good, even if it does look convoluted.
I still don't understand what this "common core" method is, but I certainly learned this stuff. Did you not do stuff with number lines in maths class where they explain it as addition moving to the right on the line and subtraction moving to the left?

jmistajay posted:

Dear Parents,

If you never understood or liked math as a kid you're probably not gonna understand your child's math homework either.
Also if you did understand maths, they're teaching it in a completely different way now and you're not going to understand it anyway. :eng99:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

They wanted you to write out what 4 x 7 and 3 x 8 equalled separately

I did though? It's right there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jidohanbaiki posted:

It's great that you know off the top of your head what 7x8 is, but do you know why?
Yes, because it's seven, eight times. Are you supposed to write down 7 x 8 = 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 56? Why not break every one of those sevens down into seven ones while you're at it?

mind the walrus posted:

No poo poo but again it's about making sure you follow a process rather than getting into the habit of shortcutting every "small" task in your head, which depending on the number crunching you're doing can gently caress up a shitload of work or even endanger lives if you have that 1 in 1,000 moment where you go with (7x4=32) in your head because you were tired or slightly distracted or some other poo poo.
What is the "process" for multiplying two single-digit numbers? The only one I know of is counting multiples and you're certainly not going to do that every time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, and also I have no idea what a Cracker is in this context, but from what I can tell he voluntarily put something up his rear end. How exactly is he the "victim"?

A cracker is a small explosive. He is the victim of his own stupidity/being from the Northern Territory. The NT News is a beacon of journalism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna pick up milk and eggs.

By the time he gets to the shops, he won't be able to afford both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have an older HP Color Laserjet and if you don't have all the color cartridges full, you can't print black and white even though the black one is full. Also the printer uses up some of the color every time you print to keep the heads flowing. I ended up just buying a cheap network laser printer for regular docs. Anyone that doesn't do this really needs to.

Unless you print a lot of stuff, just go to the library instead of buying a printer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That guy must be hacking so many mainframes. :swoon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I barely play Magic (and I'm in Europe anyway), but I'm a Judge, and taking pictures of people without their permission (or even knowledge) to post on the net and laugh is Not Okay, especially since there obviously are shitlords who'd do the same to women for less humourous purposes.
How would that ever come up at a Magic: the Gathering tournament though?

Serperoth posted:

The definition of Unsporting Conduct - Major is as follows: "A player takes action towards one or more individuals that could reasonably be expected to create a feeling of being harassed, threatened, bullied, or stalked."
Taking a photo of someone in a public place is none of those things.

Serperoth posted:

"A player takes inappropriate photos of another player without express permission."
But the only thing that makes the photos in any way inappropriate, is the inappropriate way the people are dressed, and they did that themselves.

Serperoth posted:

I had a giggle at the photos when they first surfaced, I won't deny it, but, to further quote the Judge blog "this behavior impairs the comfort of our players and the safe, welcoming environment we are responsible for creating and promoting, and it bears being called out specifically."
First thing you should do if you want to create a safe, welcoming environment is kick out half the players. I like Magic: the Gathering as a game, but (on top of it just being a massive waste of money to keep up with) the players just make it a bad experience. It was fine when I had friends who also played, because they were people I liked anyway, but the people who just show up to game shops and tournaments? Those people are the worst.

wayfinder posted:

I can sort of see how your rights end where you're ugly and gross and people want to laugh about you. That's just common sense.
What rights? It's a public place and they're not being harassed or threatened.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Like "Roberts" and "Smith" and other goofy names?

Bindlethrush Cornershop.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tales for the L33T: Romeo and Juliet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I never understand the out and out vitriol teen pop stars get from adults, like they're playing a constant brown note or something. At the end of the day, most of that stuff is pretty much inoffensive and paper thin substance wise, and is some of the most forgettable songwriting wrapped around a catchy beat. If anything, it's some of the easiest stuff to ignore.

A surprisingly large number of adults continue to listen to top 40 radio, and get angry at the constant reminders that they are no longer the target demographic. "Why does the radio station I have always listened to not play the songs I like any more? Clearly music is objectively worse now."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dud root posted:

Early lovely v1.0 browsers like Netscape and IE wouldn't parse anything without the "http://". What if you put "google.com" and its actually ftp??
That's why people got into the habit of giving the full URL, but the thing Centripetal Horse was talking about was people saying "backslash" instead of "slash". And syou still occasionally hear people do it. And if it started as a holdover from people used to DOS, that would make even less sense because in that case it should be pretty clear that it isn't a backslash.

glomkettle posted:

It's because you start drawing the slash at the top and it's a back- or forward-slash depending on if the stroke moves back or forwards. It's not that complicated guys.
That is the opposite of how it works. The real way to remember is that the slash is the same character you've seen all your life in numerous contexts and it's always just been called a slash, whereas the backslash is the backwards one you only ever see on computer keyboards and never use for anything (unless for some reason you're typing file paths in Windows, but if you are then you're almost certainly not using the word incorrectly).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

I actually kind of like "playing it by year". Good way to live.
I've always liked "supposably", but to mean "it could be supposed" rather than "it is supposed".

Sormus posted:

I am sorry to be the baron of bad news, but you seem buttered, so allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies, and are more than just ice king on the cake. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality.

I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the fax, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zanael posted:

No, "cul de sac" as a whole is a french term, meaning dead end (litteraly bag's butt).

I think you may have missed the joke there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Full milk (10%) and semi skimmed (5%) milk cost the same right? So, what if you dilute a bottle of 10% by 50% water. Would that not make it 5% milk? Effectively doubling the milk you own for no extra money?

These are the things that keep me up at night.

Full-cream milk is generally between 3.2% and 3.8% fat. Low-fat is usually 2%. There are other ingredients in milk than just fat and water. Low-fat milk tastes bad and the amount of it you'd need to be drinking for that amount of fat reduction to even matter is absurd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

I don't trust lactose free skim milk.

My roomate has a bottle of it that has been open for almost 2 weeks now and only uses it for her coffee every day. It still doesn't smell off, that poo poo ain't normal.

Milk will easily last two weeks if it's stored properly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Signs at a little supermarket near my house.

"White round bread" was bread rolls, "big round bread" was a vienna loaf, but they didn't have any of the "white long bread" or the even more mysterious "grey long bread", so I don't know what those are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Still 27 seems way too young; I could never date someone under 30.

I can't relate to these kids these days.

I've always preferred the 4:5 rule. If you're 40 that would make your minimum 32 (and your maximum 50).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I don't know if it's illegal or not, but someone buying a physical copy of a PC game in 2015 has either lovely/no internet, or a bandwidth cap. So I imagine that anyone buying that is going to be pretty loving pissed.
Only if they don't read the packaging, because I'm pretty sure it will say on it that it requires a Steam account and internet connection to install.

Jamesman posted:

If you have a computer that plays current-gen games, you have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive. :confused:
I know lots of people who play modern computer games. I don't think I know anyone with a Blu-Ray drive in their computer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Sounds like misleading or deceptive conduct to me. Maybe not a criminal offense but certainly against the law (in Australia).

If the packaging says that you need a Steam account and internet connection (I haven't checked, but they'd be stupid not to say that) then there's no deception.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

How's the Black Ops 3 Beta going?

It's poo poo, so I only played for ten and a half hours.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Literally Esoteric posted:

If you don't observe your pets for a month and then name them based on their behavior then get the gently caress out of my face.
All cats should simply be named "cat" and I refuse to call them anything else. Same with pretty much any other animal. If there's more than one present, you can call them "grey cat" and "white cat" or "small horse" and "large horse" or whatever. Only dogs deserve real names.

HairyManling posted:

If only we were allowed a period of time before formally naming our children instead of scribbling in whatever dumb poo poo sounds good when you and your wife haven't slept for 57 hours and just want to lie down instead of filling forms.
Some people decide on a name before the baby is born to avoid being put on the spot like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HairyManling posted:

God drat it, Tiggum. You can't possibly have thought I was being serious in that part of my post.

Correct.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dod-a-WORSTBOOKSERIESEVER

Not even close. Even ignoring self-published garbage, it gets a lot worse than The Dark Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ugato posted:

This should be in every pack of magic cards. My god magic events are horrible. My friend's wife brought him some dinner at one. She got about 15 feet from the open door, turned around and called him from the car. Told him he can pick up his food. She hasn't come anywhere near another one since.

Magic: the Gathering would be a pretty fun game if it weren't for the players.

• Locked thread