Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm gonna kill a pig.

quote:

You earned 6 XP and reached level 1 in Non-Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy!

Oh, well, that's good.

Thank god, an epic necklace for my pig tanking set. So now I can tank some dungeons in pig spec.

On the other hand, that +Snails damage is hard to beat.

Pig spec it is, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This game is MMO Skyrim for mental patients but with diablo for mental patients' loot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There is a word game that is constantly running and your points in it contribute to your Vocabulary experience. This will eventually be an important step in becoming a bard but at the moment has no use whatsoever.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This is like pantheon if brad everquest was into hallucinogens instead of pills.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you talk to the stablemaster as a pig, he tells you that while he is willing to house your pets, provided that they cannot talk, he does not trust talking animals and you'd better not try to sneak into the stable pretending to be someone else's pet because he knows what you look like now and he'll recognize you.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The worst part is that you can't use abilities that require an open hand, so you can't be a kung fu cow.

EDIT: You can be a psychologist cow, a mentalist cow, a beastmaster cow, a necromancer cow, and a cow cow.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The Witchers sounds like the name of a pretty good MMO.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what are people doin at this point. I'm splitting my time between leveling random tradeskills, wandering the zone with no plan, and clearing spiders from a single hallway in the crypt.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So a couple notes:

- The second zone is not significantly more dangerous and there's a lot of stuff that's less dangerous than the worst stuff in the first zone. So maybe head over there, give it a try if you want more stuff to murder.
- Two-syllable words of power are incredibly easy to craft and just so much fun. You need salt, water, and crab, which can be found on the banks around the keep. And all the researched stuff can be a nice little buff, free teleport, or something ridiculous.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Strotski posted:

STYWWHYLL / TRULLXEF/ NACHDRYV / YUTTYL - Instant Death (gives +500 xp and a unique death first time used)

Just tried to pop these and they were all used, just FYI.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For gardening, don't forget that you can grow multiple types of produce at the same time. In my experience, going from 35-50 gardening just via cotton growing is super fast (because you can lay down up to 5 cotton simultaneously) and makes crazy bank if you sell it off to players. For fertilizer, you can grind skeletons outside the crypt or go to the mushroom dungeon. I think mushroom dungeon's slower but you could probably use the XP and other crap in there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I killed some panthers for this guy and he declared me an Old Sturdy Bastard. That is all.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
- Combat status isn't based on a timer from when you were last hit, you should leave combat the moment that monsters lose interest in you and/or die.
- Bosses are generally tougher but don't (generally) have in-combat regeneration.
- Abilities that reduce rage were also generating their own rage, and that doesn't happen anymore. Combos that end with a rage-reduction ability don't key rage off the combo effect.
- Rage reduction abilities are now generally better.
- Single-target abilities cannot damage mezzed targets during the first half of a mezz now, if the mezz was applied by someone in your party. The exception is the Tell Me About Your Mother/You Were Adopted combo.
- Monsters won't shout for help when you do a disrupting ability on them, although monsters with LOS will still aggro.
- If a monster calls for help and an ally responds, there is an exclamation point that appears over the first monster's head.
- Direct heals (not HOTs) now apply the amount healed as aggro to all monsters in combat.
- Aggro effects from equipment and abilities have been buffed.
- Pig no longer has aggro boosts, but cow and shield have more/better aggro options and psychology gets a third level of their aggro boost at 52.
- Big gear rework, lots of stuff changed, check your gear. The big points are werewolf and sword gear got a big pass.
- Precision Pierce is no longer considered interchangeable with Parry/Reposte, Thrusting Blade is interchangeable with Sword Slash and is considered a basic attack.
- Most effects that key to "when armor is 0" now key to "when armor is <33%"
- The odds of crafting higher-quality gear has increased somewhat.
- High level foraging/mycology stuff has been normalized so some types of gathers don't randomly grant huge XP
- MORE APPLE SPAWNS
- Fish-filleting recipe now require the same fishing level as gathering the fish you want to fillet, but also give more XP
- Doing stuff to corpses (butchery, skinning) now gives you partial XP based on whether you're a similar level to the monster so NO MORE +1 BUTCHERY WOW
- Leveling corpse stuff from 30 to 50 is now slower than it was
- ARROW RECOVERY archery abilities have a % chance to add the expended resources as loot to the monster. Different %'s for different abilities. Multishot, Heavy Multishot, Bow Bash, and Snare Arrow have a 0% chance.
- Oritania is fixed
- And other stuff

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

:psyduck: Amazing, I just got /ignored by one of the apparently oldest players in the game because I suggested different mechanics for the cow form, that he was horribly offended by because not being able to sell anything or use the bank is extremely important, because the game isn't about "efficiency or fun" it's about "immersion" and I quote "the opinion of someone with less than a week of played is worthless". /played elitism and cow roleplaying, folks.

I sincerely hope that the suggestions of the guy who wants the cow necromancer experience to be as immersive and realistic as possible isn't being listened to, but he's apparently the expert in all things cow and everyone bows to his wisdom.

Yeah I mean this is a fun game but it also serves a specific purpose as The Heir To The True Throne of Old School MMOs for some of the players. As such, it can do no wrong and also people will always support stupid bullshit. There's even a thread on the Project: Gorgon forums where some people were complaining that using an exclamation point effect, specifically, to show you that help is coming kills immersion because wow has exclamation points over mobs' heads. The good news is the main dev has straight up rejected their dumbass premise:

Citan posted:

There's an old saying in MMO design: "don't balance via tedium in an MMO, because players will do it anyway and then bitch about it." What that means is that it doesn't work very well to make something super dull so that players won't do it. They'll do it anyway -- some even claiming that it's fun (because they're chatting with friends) -- and then get burned out and quit because it's too grindy.

Citan seems like a guy with his head on straight so just make sure you put feedback where he can see it and it'll get taken seriously even if wackos come out against it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kevlar Beard posted:

So...how do I actually make an account for this game?

I made a character as a 'guest', but I can't find where I can actually transition this dude to an account so I don't lose him.

When you complete the tutorial it'll say "hey you wanna thing" and you just say "yeah I'll thing"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Here are all the combat skills and how you get them, generally ordered from hardest to easiest:

Unarmed - You have it by default.
Sword - You learn it by removing the sword from the corpse at the beginning of the tutorial cave.
Archery - You learn it by retrieving the bow from the dilapitated chest in the tutorial cave. It's near an alchemy book.
Cow - You learn it by becoming a cow and can only use it in cow form. The easiest way to become a cow is to have the cow boss in the tutorial cave use her rage ability on you.
Psychology - You learn it from the book in the starting room of the tutorial cave. You can gain access to the book by crafting Pick-Me-Up juice with the recipe and components found elsewhere in the cave and giving it to the guy in the starting room.
Fire Magic - You can learn it from Velkort in Serbule Keep by talking with him.
Battle Chemistry - There is a test NPC near Marna in Serbule Keep that allows you to grab it immediately. In the future, the ability will require a high Alchemy score.
Pig - You learn it by becoming a pig and can only use it in pig form. The easiest way to become pig is to grind a Pig Juice potion off pigs in Serbule and use it.
Animal Handling - You can learn it from a shrine outside the Serbule Crypt, in the southwest corner of the starting zone.
Lycanthropy - You learn it by completing the Wolf Trial for Harry the Wolf in Serbule Keep. You can only use it when you transform into a Wolf (you can do this whenever you want, and are forced to be a wolf during the full moon IRL). You can talk to Harry in another beast form or by grinding Comfortable favor with Rita also in Serbule Keep.
Mentalism - You can learn it from Echur in Serbule by doing all the chores he has for you, across a couple tiers. This includes grinding favor with the mantis Azalak on the northwest end of Serbule so that you can buy Cranium Powder.
Shield - You can learn it from Tyler Green in the higher-level area of the Tutorial Cave (don't attempt as a fresh character). You have to grind favor with him.
Staff - You learn it from Hogan in Hogan's Keep on the south end of Eltibule. A slight favor grind is necessary, nothing difficult or time-consuming.
Deer - You learn it by becoming a deer and can only use it in deer form. The easiest way to become a deer is to buy Deer Juice from Yetta in Eltibule Keep.
Necromancy - You learn it from the Necromancy shrine at the bottom of Serbule Crypt.
Spider - You learn it by becoming a spider and can only use it in spider form. You can become a spider by buying spider juice from the Strange Spider at the bottom of the Serbule Crypt.
Druid - You can learn it from a shrine on the north end of Sun Vale.
Hammer - You learn by grinding favor with Agrashab on the north end of Sun Vale.

In my experience, the best way to put together a build is to mix a damage skill with one that brings something else to the table. You can probably get away with an AOE skill + something else instead. That's just my experience, but here's what some different builds are good at (again, my opinion, and not 100% educated)-

Damage
Sword
Archery
Animal Handling
Necromancy?
Hammer

AOE
Battle Chemistry
Fire Magic

CC
Unarmed
Psychology
Staff
Shield

Utility
Mentalism
Druid

These aren't all 100%, most skills are a lot of one thing and a little bit of another. A LOT of gear procs for these skills also add some elements of another skill type to your existing skills, so you can sort of make a build out of a combination of skills + gear. For instance, I've got 4 procs for Many Cuts on my Sword gear right now that has a proc that doubles damage sometimes, one that stuns sometimes, one that knock backs and does extra damage sometimes, and one that turns it into an AOE all the time. I really like Many Cuts. The beast skills are generally hybrid skills to make up for the fact that they can't use a bunch of skills. There are also a couple skills that bring some tankiness & tauntability to bear. Does anyone else have good starter advice for choosing skills?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
She was supposedly fixed in the last update but I did it, I killed them goblins. And I'm glad, see, glad!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

Also we don't sound horrible like cows do, which is probably the most important.

I was a pig for a little while and it was good fun, but being an animal does limit things a bit. People talked extensively about vendor limitations, but the bigger issues to me were:
- You can't wield a handsaw, so it's much harder to level foraging and carpentry is very much locked out to you. It also locks out things like toolcrafting, which requires carpentry levels, and without a robust player economy, fletching.
- Of course, fletching won't bother you much, because Sword, Archery, Fire Magic, Battle Chemistry, Shield, Hammer, and Staff are all locked to you as an animal. You also can't use many/most Unarmed abilities, which require empty human hands.

In a game that lets you do basically anything in whatever order you choose, you may find animal forms confining. Pig, at least, does add a lot of bonuses to the stuff it doesn't lock you out of (truffle sniff is kind of huge if you're interested in certain tradeskills, just the strange dirt it gives is very nice for gardening which at level 35+ usually means growing lots of cotton for tailoring). Heck, when battle chemistry starts requiring Alchemy 50, a detour into Pig might be a good way to get there. The other forms, I don't know much about. I will say that if you're interested in being a deer, you'd be a fool to not just pick up Druid and level it to 25. You get deer form when you want and then you can turn into a human and do whatever.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

This was fixed in a recent patch, kinda. The spawn rate of apples went through the roof, so between apples and flowers you have a lot more foraging exp available until you can pick up all those grapes all over north Serbule. Apples were pretty much the only really rough spot for animals when they hardly spawned. By the time you can pick guavas around mid skill level you're home free, because Sun Vale spawns guavas like mad.

I've also played a bunch of spider, and I'd describe it so far as basically pure DPS with minimal crowd control ability. Doesn't seem to have any real defenses or buffs at all unless something comes later, but it hits like a truck and can spawn two baby spiders at a time (through an admittedly annoying incubation mechanism) that hit like slightly smaller trucks. Spider has an illusion power to talk to NPCs that don't like animals, but unless you're prepared to grind a bunch of surveying or pay people who do, you're not gonna have the moonstones to use it.

Spider goes amazingly well with mentalism due to the combination of heals and support AOEs with your babies - basically any damage buff or armor buff or power restoration you cast has its usefulness multiplied x3 even if you're just soloing. Plus mentalism fills in the complete lack of defenses in the spider set, and spider's pure DPS goes great with Pain Bubble.

EDIT: Also, for anyone making a run into the Crypt for spider supplies, be aware that the something like nine extra skills the spider npc will train you in are sold as scrolls rather than the usual click-to-learn mechanism. So leave lots and lots of inventory space so you won't have to come back every few levels, and just stick the scrolls in the bank until you can use them.

UNRELATED EDIT: My pig is now looking for Pyrite, because Malevolent Spore Bombs suddenly depart from the previous recipes of fish + strange dirt + mushroom and need mushroom + Pyrite instead.

Pyrite spawns like mad in the mushroom dungeon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Citan just confirmed on the forums that there was a bug with the organ knife not actually giving a bonus to organ gathering (and instead giving a bonus to bone gathering).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can also get them from the innkeeper in serbule, but they're kind of expensive. It's at a high favor level, but he's easy to favor up because he likes food.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A hotfix is out.

"- equipment that boosted damage from Fire Arrow accidentally lit you, the archer, on fire"

I think the title should be Project Gorgon: +30 Damage to Snails

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Or Project Gorgon: You have lost favor with Suspicious Cow

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Project Gorgon: You eat the corpse of Mr. Squeaky. +25XP in Percussion Instruments.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Clever girl...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Try to see if you can pick up a good belt before you go. Belts change 50-75% of gear you get to be more relevant rather than getting a cross section of whatever the hell.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

- Wolf Cave now has a level 50 duoable area. Some empty areas were added that will have werewolf stuff soon.
- A large new area of Kur Tower is open but it's all hosed up.
- Ice Magic is a new combat skill. It's like fire damage, but for CC. You have to have level 25 Fire Magic and do a cool level 40ish dungeon event to get it. You can get started by taking a quest from a signpost in Kur Tower. You'll need some buds to do the quest.
- A lot of abilities powers were changed to normalize power-to-effect ratios somewhat.
- Combat skills now give more max power.
- The Dig Deep ability you get from Endurance restores more power.
- Most abilities do more damage at high levels.

- Sun Vale is now much larger, every dimension was doubled.
- There are fewer Ranalan warriors in Sun Vale.
- The winter court fey near the Thorn's spawn have had their spawn rates normalized.
- Flowers and trees in Sun Vale are spread out more due to the zone size increase, so they're harder to collect.
- About a third of the fruit trees in Sun Vale have been replaced with boars and slugs.
- More content for Sun Vale is coming soon.

- New item drops now have level requirements about 10 levels higher than they did before.
- Dropped items will no longer sometimes be a tier higher than they were supposed to be.
- Dropped items will now have a standardized number of powers based on tier.
- A new super-rare high gear tier has been added and to make everything make sense the tiers have been shuffled around. Maroon "Epic" items are now purple "Exceptional" items, Yellow "Legendary" items are now maroon "Epic" items, and the new tier is yellow "Legendary". No stats have been changed, just the names. The new legendary tier is better than anything currently out there and is a flat world drop from every mob.

- There's a checkbox on vendors to hide equipment you cannot use.
- You can no longer accidentally drop items while the storage window is up.
- Magical items no longer show the wrong display color in the Sell window.

- Dungeon chests cannot be opened in combat.
- Navmeshes have been removed from the top of most dungeons. This means that knockbacks can no longer cause your character to magnet to the ceiling outside the dungeon.
- Some patrols have been removed from the high-level areas of Dark Chapel.
- Each corridor of the high-level areas of Dark Chapel now has a maximum number of elites that can spawn there at a time.
- The health and armor formulas have been retooled. Newbie monsters should have lower armor and high-level monsters should now have higher armor. Generally speaking, the health changes are trivial.
- Monsters can now build up an additional 50% rage past their cap to make volume of rage reduction more important.
- Yetis are now actually hard to kill while encased in ice.
- Old Fangsworth does not always spawn in the same spot.
- Khyrulek in Serbule Crypt has shared treasure like other elites now. The Galvanizer has a lower chance of dropping, but is guaranteed to drop from your first daily loot.
- Fixed Elites and Bosses did not have loot for every player.
- Bleddyn the Werewolf is now no longer an elite. Really!
- Fluffy the worm is now harder to kill.
- Lamias are now visible in areas of the Dark Chapel where they weren't.
- Acid Traps & Explosion Traps can no longer call for help.

- Weapon vendors will now buy shields.
- Bluebell seeds work.
- Malgath now gives favor for receiving shields.
- Apply Hammer Oil & Apply Katar Oil recipes now work properly.
- Stalwart Claws are now considered claws.
- Low-level fire magic recipe now cost fewer reagents to research.
- Skulls are now considered body parts, which means that many more vendors will buy them.
- Consigned items can no longer be duped.
- Some abilities that did not share cooldowns with their lower level equivalents now have the correct cooldowns.
- Fixed many treasure effects.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't even play this anymore and I want to pay for it, the time I had with it was a treasure and I have no doubt I'll be back someday.

Someone should make an over the top youtubey video to contrast with his mumbly video.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

The only thing I'm reluctant about is the idea of a PVE-centric sandbox. From my experience, PVP is what drives player politics and that is a major part of any sandbox title. As it stands, this seems like a hybrid of Everquest with a bit of Morrowind.

It's really more like Asheron's Call, which was a pretty successful PVE sandbox.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A staff... AND a shield? Ugh, my immersion.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what about psychology?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought he had a better favor/gold ratio for shields instead of the kits, but then again it wouldn't be the first time the wiki wasn't entirely up to date. I'll go give them a try tonight.

It's probably true, and there's some good shields around on vendors in consignment and used. But there's something to be said for being able to just straightup trade money for favor.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This is a really good description. The Repopulation is really shaping up quite nicely too, so I hope we see similar progress with Gorgon near the end.

The Repopulation is awful, sorry.

EDIT: Like I could write a book, it's a really bad game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm actually kind of pissed off that the repopulation's raised a solid 6 figures off unrealistic promises, some bad free tech, and nostalgia while project gorgon is looking at like 40k tops for a finished game that's actually fun and well made.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nietzschean posted:

Finished game? Look, man; there are people here who are fanboys and there are people here who dislike it, but the straight dope is that Project Gorgon is still very much a work in progress with some major, glaring errors. I posted earlier in the thread the issue that users with 32-bit operating systems simply cannot look at the skybox while in towns without crashing to desktop due to memory overflow, and that the graphics which inspire Morrowind nostalgia are literally on par with that 13-year-old game's stock models and textures. I like the game as an alpha or beta, because despite these flaws it presents me with some pretty neat things: the skills that increase as you use them and which have synergy with other skills, the loot system which puts ability-enhancing or -redefining effects on gear from the very beginning of the game, and so on. But right now this is a game where much of the terrain is permeable with varying degrees of effort (in some cases you can just run or fall right through rock formations), placeholder NPCs and mechanics still blatantly exist, all of four zones are available, the servers crap out fairly regularly for most of a day while they search for gremlins, and there exist both in- and out-of-game references to a much bigger more complex game coming soon that the users have not yet seen. This is plenty to draw the disposable income of the sort of person who backs Early Access projects, sure, but a finished game it is not.

I mean like Project: Gorgon is absolutely as finished as The Repopulation, which intends to launch in the next 4 months. And that's now. I was speaking in the context of The Repopulation's 220k kickstarter and the subsequent 50k kickstarter, when it was farts and dreams. Yes, Project: Gorgon is not ready for release. But the game is like, playable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah some spot-wipes are possible based on bad bugs/exploits etc. But I've not seen anything of that nature happen as long as I've been playing. Gear gets edited in-place a lot so whatever you're wearing might be devalued or its stats rerolled. Like if there's a big change for swords, he might edit sword skill gear modifiers a lot and so all sword skill gear modifiers get regenerated the next time you log in. There's definitely a kind of floaty feeling where stuff might go away based on development needs, so you shouldn't get like SUPER attached to things. But generally speaking, time spent is preserved.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Are there still players around paying ridiculous prices for bulk cotton? I basically leveled gardening from 30-50 or whatever entirely off cotton (5 plants at a time!) and made an assload of money.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I've been following this thread for... some reason? Should I just bite the bullet and try playing this thing?

It's free, so... yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I was thinking about getting back into this. Does the economy sort of work now, with stalls? When I left the only way to make cash with tradeskills was to farm up a bunch of cotton, but that dried up when everyone realized that tailoring was a booby prize.