Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I downloaded this overnight and tried it just now. Vooosh, 2 hours gone - it's surprisingly fun. Whether that will last particularly long remains to be seen but at least it doesn't hit you over the head constantly to buy lock boxes or special offers. The EQ feeling is close but without the annoying realism like encumbrance or silly stacking rules. The 'pay attention or die' bit is there though. I wandered off from the way out of the starter cave and got blasted to bits by a trio of skeletons. Up till then I'd only met things you can kill by coughing on and that didn't help each other (I believe I'm a dragon assassin in disguise, love the death quirks). Back to the EQ mindset, click on them and compare stats before going too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Are there guilds in this? I don't like soloing MMOs

Hehe, you're the anti-me, I hate people in MMOs (yes I know that is not logical).

30.5 Days posted:

The worst part is that you can't use abilities that require an open hand, so you can't be a kung fu cow.

EDIT: You can be a psychologist cow, a mentalist cow, a beastmaster cow, a necromancer cow, and a cow cow.

Semi realistic cow simulation ;)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Yea.. without other people MMOs are just shittier RPGs, you might as well play something decent like the Witchers

On the contrary, most have plenty of story and the older ones positively drown in lore to get into. Spoiled by the swarms of folk rushing from '!' to '?' as fast as possible and in as few clicks as possible. People ruin MMOs, a few good people can make them a lot more fun sure but good luck stumbling across them. Hopefully Gorgon stays quirky enough to keep the maddening crowds at bay.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Not mentioned in the OP but worth bringing up for new starts like myself: Hanging out. One of the options when talking to NPCs is to 'Hang out' with them when your character logs off. I picked the longer option with the spoon lady NPC in the starter cave yesterday and when I logged in again today she taught me 5 unarmed combat skills. I chose the appetizing sounding 'Hang out to check each other for lice' option before the downtime. So in summary, pick a hang out option with an NPC and get favour plus something for being logged out.

This bloke has made a list of hangout options and rewards but it's far from complete.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah I love the flavor text for this game, it's pretty creative and funny. I think the devs are coming close to making a MMO that is basically a parody of MMOs but still crazy detailed. Or something, it really feels like some kind of subtle joke or something, and I like it.
PS: What the gently caress is up with those bloody huge stone hands?
PPS: I totally rolled a Rakshasa, elves can suck it.
PPSS: Where the gently caress are the dwarves at?

I rolled a kitty too because one of the skin colour choices resembles my girl cats coat. BTW, ask Sir Cloth about the town, his description of the elves cracked me up. The skill system is a lot like the old morrowwind games, you do stuff -> get better at it.

Any of you playing as a cow? I have a cow armour of trampling going to a good home if someone wants it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bahanahab posted:

I need a good healing kit, but all the vendors I've looked up require a faction grind to unlock the ability to buy it form them. Is there anyway to get the good healing kit without faction grinding it, because i would really like to unlock mentalism.

I got mentalism for free without a first aid kit. Just meditate for a while at the altar/crystal thing behind him and he gives you mentalism. I can't log in to check at the moment - I'm hanging out with the mantid guy for 4 hours ambushing small animals :)

onesixtwo posted:

Nice, thanks! I'll go into that sewer to clear out that rat quest, and get to the Crypt entrance to get AH going.

Now if only I could pickup grapes yet..

Buy a saw for 75g from the gardener lady, then you can forage oak trees (which is favour for someone else) and gets you enough forage eventually to pick up grapes. I cheated though because I found grapes and some feathers on a shop 'buy used' tab which the game is ok with you using to finish quests. Personally I find it's logical but most MMOs seem to frown on it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bahanahab posted:

What the hell, I've been infected with lice....

Get friendly with Lawara in the starter cave and do the 'check for lice' hang out, she will give you a delousing comb.

I hit the first bug I've seen tonight (sent feedback of course) when I right clicked on some mushrooms in the sewers. It auto pathed me outside the sewer and I was standing in limbo on top of a pipe (the sewer) in mid nothingness. I wasn't planning on going back to the start cave but at least the stuck teleport works.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

onesixtwo posted:

Unrelated note, I now have Lice. I need to get this cured.

See previous reply to disgusting, parasite ridden poster ;)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

onesixtwo posted:

Yeah, i'm now able to kill Tigers reliably, and the skeletons around the graveyard. The spiders inside the crypt can really gently caress with you, but there is some great gear in those chests. It's hard to know where is and isn't a bad place to go, so I've just been doing it by trial and error. Death seems to not be very serious, and you even gain Death XP for.. dying in unique ways? Also I have no idea how to tell what level I am, I assume that would be my Endurance level?

my ign is mrkitty

I went through the crypts alone today, it's packs of things that are deadly - like I ran into a corridor full of fire mages and they lit me up big time. Or a pack of 4 huntsman spiders, that hurt too but at least I got to run away. The megaspider on the first floor has a short leash so just leg it from that if you can't kill it. There's also a bug with the force wall: I didn't know the answer it wanted so I was clicking on stuff inside the room just to see what it was and my char simply ran inside ignoring the wall. BTW, look at the skills page and see the benefits from ranking up dying. It's well worth getting your arse handed to you in new and interesting ways.

Unarmed and psychology are working well so far while I collect enough fire dust to research new fire spells. I even looted a nice piece of purple armour somewhere but it needs L20 mentalist so it's in the bank for a while. I play as my cat - BuffyRodentslayer - for what it's worth.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

glug posted:

This game is awesome, it's a shame it doesn't have a team behind it. And I would pay dollars for bag/bank space.

I'll second that feeling, you need so many things. Raw materials then various stages of produce, favour items and so on. One other thing that's annoying for beginners is the skill system for things like foraging in a multi user environment. You can only forage oak (or fish crabs with fishing) and the nodes can randomly contain any one of the first 3 or 4 steps of the ladder so to speak. So if you go round and sweep up the oak, chances are the respawn will not be oak and you'll gradually have less and less to collect in order to level up. I was 2 points of foraging from being able to get grapes yesterday but almost all the nodes were grapes - so drat frustrating.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

onesixtwo posted:

Foraging can be raised to 10 in less than 30 minutes really. Buy a handsaw from Theresa near the garden, go North / North West out of town near the edge of the map and just pickup every piece of Oak wood. There is a very easy loop you can follow. Blue flowers are able to be picked up before Grapes.

Today I'm going to go pick up Staff skill, hopefully. I expect to be underleveled and have problems doing the favors.

If they happen to be logs yes you'll be fine, today I had a lucky run round and got up to 15 but the 3 days prior there was very little low enough to harvest and it stays that way until someone else picks it up. Your mileage will vary.

glug posted:

Fletching is miserable though.

Someone was saying 1500 cotton translates to about 30 skill points? There seem to be plenty of grindy things to pick from in the game. Given there are plenty of options I think I'll just avoid the worst of the grind skills for now.

I was also wondering if the dev is going to hit the reset button at some point in the cycle. I don't fancy playing 100s of hours to get flushed sometime in the future.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

"just read this on their page, good news for me

'There won’t be a player wipe. But there will probably be partial wipes, like resetting certain skills, wiping out some equipment, maybe even resetting everybody’s cash to a predetermined amount if the existing economy just seems unsalvageable. I’ll be as careful as I can about taking things away from people, though. If you’ve been here a while, hopefully you’ve seen that in action.'"
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/3727

Thanks, that's reassuring. I have no problem with skill readjustment, balancing, removal of gear or economy type resets because hey, it's in development. It's the flat out nuke of everything that I was worried about and he seems well aware that it'd be a bummer to a lot of players doing that.

Pesterchum posted:

Is there a place to go to get level 20ish gear for skills? Or enemies that drop them? Everything I see for sale is in the 30-40 range but it doesn't feel like I can take on much in the way of difficult enemies because all of my gear is bottom tier.

How do you reckon what level you are? Are you going on weapon skill? Endurance level? I looked at all the stats pages and I couldn't see a 'you are level X' anywhere. Have I missed something obvious?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

I think you can buy the book from the Serbule fairy with a lot of favor, or another fairy (Eltibule farm?) with no favor requirement. Also you will need a shitton of amethysts from Surveying, but teleporting only has a smallish random chance of actually using up the amethyst. :)

Yeah the farm west of Eltibule - 150g, I know this because I bought it today. I don't have surveying yet or know where to get it but one skill step at a time.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

Joeh, the weapon/armor elf in Serbule, has the Surveying book, along with paper and ink to make your surveys. (Animals will have to get ink and paper from other vendors, I know there's a fairy in Sun Vale.)

Surveying is quite a lot of fun, especially if you're in the mood to run around the world rather than sit on your butt in front of the cooking pot or digging potatoes. Just make a big pile of surveys at once and look at each of them; there are usually clusters of gem deposits relatively close to one another on the map. Then you can go kill monsters while following your pile of treasure maps. As an added bonus, all the gems you don't care about (most are only for crafting gear) usually sell decently.

Apart from being broke again, the biggest problem is inventory space for all these crafting stages. Between cooking and gardening I barely have space to loot anything so I think a more sane strategy for a while is keep raw materials only and learn skills. Once I have money I can progress a skill or two then clean up all the raw materials and intermediates to reclaim inventory space - rinse, repeat. If the guy wanted to make money he could sell inv upgrades.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

I've goofed around in the entry area since I have to go there anyway (animal-friendly vendor, some trainers I want to build favor with) and I can manage if I just pull one or two entry mobs back down the tunnel. After getting some skill ranks and iocaine shroom drops for a quest I thought "hey this isn't so bad, maybe I'll-"

About fifteen feet deeper into the tunnel I met a hostile mushroom person and about fifty assorted monsters immediately descended upon me. :gonk: On the bright side, I got a new cause of death and bonus Dying exp for it! Gorgon's dungeons seem really crowded in general, my partial exploration of the Crypt was similar. Things respawn fast and in huge, close numbers, it's crazy.

The respawn is pretty insane in most dungeons too. I cleared past the first chest in the crpyt and I was up to the crossroads with a pack of 4 spiders that leads down to the bit where you can see the first dinosaurs. That was as far as I got purely due to respawn. By the time I cleared a section and got my armour/health back up new ones were popping around me. Eventually I got overwhelmed because I couldn't regen armour/hp faster than they respawned.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

wtsnaename posted:

When your aoe clear gets faster you'll be able to speed run that poo poo no problem. All it took for my fire mage to get past that was a couple sulfur, honestly.

Ah yes. My fire magic is at 10 buuuut I can't cast anything but the 3 L0 spells because I've not found any fire dust to research the higher ones and I can't yet kill the things that drop it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pesterchum posted:

You can sometimes find them under 'used' at certain NPCs. Alternatively I have some I can give you, what's your in-game name?

I thought they might end up there and I check vendor used tabs regularly - never seen any. If you have spares that would be great, I run as my cat - BuffyRodentslayer. What time zone are you likely to be around in?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pesterchum posted:

I'll be on and off sporadically through the day on Aristhrottle starting from now.

Heh, I was just going to hop on while I cook dinner but it appears I need to download again (ah, it was updated earlier today.) I'm on rural Scottish broadband so to paraphrase "I may be some time"...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

wtsnaename posted:

I have around 50 spare fire dust, and I'm willing to bet I'll collect a fair bit more due to where I'm currently farming. I can give some away but gold donations would be absolutely stellar because I am very poor. Look up Latinaprincess in game. (Usually around late night-early morning est)

I didn't get back in yesterday but I could use 20 I think (L5 and L10 are 5 each x 2 dust IIRC) and I actually have some money for a change. I found some purple stuff lying in the middle of a field and a vendor with a couple of grand left willing to buy it. I kind of like the system of limited vendor cash but it can get annoying too. I'll try and hook up later.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

glug posted:

Beet talk

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll spend what time I have left today growing beets :)

Is there a command to check if a particular player is on? Or only via friends/shouting?

Many thanks to Aristhrottle, hooked me up with a pile of dust.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I have run into the problem I usually end up with in these kinds of games. With the ability to do everything I instinctively want to do it all. Also those slugs under the crystal are jerks, glad there is no death penalty that I know of in this game.

It's odd how they come zooming in from further in the cave to kick your teeth in isn't it. I found it safest to pull them back toward the entrance, it seems to avoid them piling on indefinitely.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Not only that but that the poison stacks so quickly that it's hard to react, next time I'll be taking a ton of anti venom's with me and hope it helps.

Also I know I asked this already but didn't see a reply am I stuck with a Giant or Sewer Rat until I hit AH 20 or is there some other skill that would let me grab some other creature ie Spider or Wolf cause my rat can't stay alive if he gets any kind of hate, and yes I have been leveling him up at the stable.

Ah, the other trick for the slugs is knockback - use it and they apply way fewer stacks. Keep backing up if you can too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

One of you guys who's actually played the game should do a post about what's good about it in the Kickstarter thread so that it actually gains some eyeballs. I'd do it myself, but I know nothing about it.

A few people have tried but the 'it looks poo poo so I've decided it must be old fashioned and grindy' crowd are also present. I bet not a single one of the people knocking it in that thread will actually try it out as has been suggested.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I went to log in last night and couldn't remember the password. The password recovery page doesn't work, it just says it has no record of that email address. Has anyone else had the same problem recently?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Innerguard posted:

Do you have a guest account?

It's a known issue for some accounts made a while back apparently. I contacted Gorgons support email, they reset my password and I got back in. It counts as having been started on the 2nd of October but I still have my character which is the important part.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Phayray posted:

That's fair, I guess it just reminds me of the EQ days of needing bone chips to summon skeletons, sometimes requiring you to go explicitly farm them for hours until you had enough to go exp. I understand and appreciate the concept but the practicality of it is frustrating as a player.

I never understood people moaning about that problem myself. It was always so easy to get a couple of dozen, certainly not hours of farming and the higher level you got, the easier it became and the more places you could go to get them. Did you constantly lose pets or something (curiosity here, I really never got how people needed so many bone chips). Later on having to cart bone chips and peridots around was a PITA but then we got the AA to 'store' the pet and it became a non-issue anyway.

If differentiation has a little cost or effort to it, no problem. I can chose to do it or not.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

You have to consider back in early EQ pre PoP pets despawned when you zoned, logged off, or got disconnected. Keep in mind in the late 90s early 00s having a shaky dial-up/dsl connection was way more common and you'd have to resummon a pet every time your modem burped. Largely bone chips wasn't a big deal because you could pop over to field of bone and buy all the bone chips you could hold from newbies in the area for a relative pittance compared to peridots.

Field of bone/kurns tower was largely necro paradise in general though. Once you got past level 20 or so you could pretty quickly farm any amount of bone chips you needed in short order.

I know this, I played from May 99 till 2006. Even with plat farming on the sisters isle (lots of zoning) I'd barely go through 20 chips in a days session. Ok if you had a lovely connection you'd lose a lot so hit the spawners in Nektulos, N ro pyramid area, Befallen - there are tons of places to find skels plus we had that find undead spell. I never felt the chips were a problem but then again I also made a fortune selling them to people who couldn't be bothered taking the time to collect them. AAs came out after Poonark (with the Luclin expansion).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I logged back in for the first time in ages yesterday. I'd forgotten just how scarce storage space is. I swapped my legacy stuff but I have no-where to store the things I can't use yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I think they said there would be a grace period of a few weeks for current players before they need to buy it.

Have they said what they’re charging? I remember before they said it was going to be $40, which is rather, uhh, optimistic of them I guess you could say.

That's just so 75% or 90% off in sales makes ka-ching.