Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow, that wasn't the default spider belt - it was a req skill 30 spider belt with +4 inventory slots as a bonus. :buddy: Went ahead and grabbed one for later, thanks for the tip.

I should have a few hours free later tonight and around the same time tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Boogaleeboo posted:

Also where the hell do you get Fish Scales from?

Random "drops" while filleting raw fish.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm free for the next few hours now, if that lines up with other folks' schedules re: the Crypt. I'll be on as Mraaj or Talbot, currently goofing around farming pork on the latter.

EDIT: I hopped aboard a random late-night speed train through the Crypt with a really high level player, so I have my alt's spider loot now. However, I'm still up for bumbling around doing dumb things with goons one of these days. :3: (Also, turns out extra spider skills are all sold as scrolls, not as normal trained skills, which means you can buy the full set when you get your potion and belt.)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 10, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The launcher says a whole bunch of game mechanics are getting completely redone on Sunday. Is anyone on test to know what's up? :iiam:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SweetBro posted:

Where can I learn to mine?

To my knowledge the only way to learn/level it is to go around Surveying.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

Then, if you're not interested in blacksmithing, go SURVEY THE gently caress out of metal and sell the metal to me for double vendor price, and I'll eventually make you all sexy tools like +10 skinning knives.

I've done 110 tier-2 metal surveys to get the 20 blacksmithing I need (plus 20 carpentry and 50 goblinese) to unlock toolcrafting, and now I need piles of tier 1 metal in the beginning.. it hurts.

edit: if you guys haven't seen a pattern to my posting yet, it's basically "my life is so hard, give me your things I will totally give you better things"

I love spamming surveys, though I tend to just do the level 5 over and over again to keep my three characters supplied with teleport fuel and valuable vendor trash. However, Scuttle is gonna need moonstones for the spider's illusion power, so he'll be working on higher tier stuff and you're welcome to the metal I won't use anyway. :dance:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wtsnaename posted:

Save me any gems along the way that directly affect your combat skills and I'll try my hand at making some armor for you, too. And lots of quartz, please.

Quartz I can do, once I get his skill up enough - looks like it's the same tier as moonstones. Put a note in the spreadsheet? My notepad file for the game is getting messy.

All three of my characters use curse skillsets for main and AFAIK you can't gem for that without some bs from sigil scripting to pick the right animal, but two of them stick to one secondary so I'll hang on to gems for those. :dance:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've been training Sword and Psych as my main combat skills. But this is kind of a problem sometimes, because some enemies (e.g. mantises) have lots of protection against slashing, and I only really do damage with my slashy sword skills. I used a bow to do that babby "kill seven mantises" quest, but it was a pain. Is the only real solution to train a lot into some other form of damage?

Pretty much. And psychic anything is gonna be immune to psychic damage, though at least mentalism gives you an electrical attack and psychology's rage drain still works.

Vadun posted:

Now I can actually feel useful even though I have to turn off sound effects due to every attack making an annoying moo. Do the other animals forms have annoying sound effects too?

Pig grunts quietly for a couple of things and squeals for the AOE fear, and spider makes some clicky noises while walking and squeaks when attacking. Neither has anything as piercing, loud, and generally horrible as my brief experience with cow.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So druid in deer form actually unlocks the deer skillset like the potion? Cool.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"There are a lot more apples spawning in Serbule now" thank you god. While I already got the 20 apples each for the tavern guy so my two animals could talk to him (and also my werewolf in wolf form because why not), leveling lowbie Foraging as an animal also sucks hard and my spider's in that boat right now until he can pick up grapes.

Also got a kick out of the louse comb = bone bug being fixed, that's one I reported. :buddy: I helped!

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Noticed a mentalism change that wasn't in the notes: the armor/health/power wave icons are now the same color as their respective bars at the top of your screen, making it easier to ID by sight. The mixed up colors were driving me up the wall. I'm so glad the dev guy is awesome about player suggestions.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolpertinger posted:

because not being able to sell anything or use the bank

I refuse to get involved in the rest of that slapfight, which is why I stopped participating in chat once it got rolling between you, but I did point out that this is really not true. You can sell EVERYTHING and also use the bank while an animal. It is just mildly less convenient.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolpertinger posted:

The whole thing was just talking about how was that just making it a pointlessly tedious hassle for a thing that a ton of newbies are going to be curious and try out could be a poor decision - it works fine when you're an experienced player and know where the random fairy in the middle of the forest is and have all the skill books you need, but it was pretty massively hugely inconvenient as someone who started out intending to be a cow.

The fact that cow is placed in the tutorial and is ridiculously easy to cure (I think there are at least three different options, two of which other players can help you with in about two minutes) is basically a fairly safe crash course in What You'll Need To Play An Animal For Real; I think most people who are interested do a test run, then revert to prepare, then get cursed again for real later. That's what I did anyhow. So I dunno, the system doesn't bother me. Although I'm still kinda :psyduck: about that one other guy I was talking to before the fight broke out who was really mad that cow is easy to cure because immersion.

You can also ask for help with some stuff. I forgot to get my spider's Surveying book first, but someone got it for me in exchange for a stack of baked beets. I think I had to get help with the teleport book too because the Eltibule fairy only likes herbivores and I didn't have favor with Flia, the community's pretty good for things like that.

Also there's this badly organized thread of animal info I scraped together between myself and other players http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-full-list-of-banned-skills-for-animals I'm not going to bother overhauling it until I can survive in Kur/the rest of Sun Vale/Nexus, but it's fairly passable now considering the wiki is not great in this area.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 17, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh speaking of Harry, I need help from some non-werewolves with him. I was able to shop with him while a cow, but now that I'm a pig suddenly all I can get is the lycanthropy quest dialogue or close the window. Same for my spider alt.

I'm not sure if he now only sells to werewolves (my ww alt is fine), or if it's werewolves + cow since cow is meant to be the easy/tutorial beast and gets extra help in general, or if something else is going on. Originally I was told by a player that had played every curse that Harry should sell to every animal, so I'm not sure what exactly the change is. If we can figure it out I'll go update that thread. :science:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The cow curse in the tutorial cave is hilarious. It's kind of a dick move in terms of easing players into the game, though.

The game does give you all kinds of warning text and notes from the developer and literal sirens and flashing lights telling you not to do it. :v: It kinda does double duty as a safe way to try out animal life as well as get newbies used to the idea of "when this game tells you to think before carelessly throwing yourself at a boss solo, it means it" IMO. Some of the later boss curses are really nasty and don't have easy alternate cures like cow, so it's not bad reasoning.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright I was goofing around last night, picked up fire magic and thankfully the vendor had fire dust used. But in picking up skills just to have them I picked up surveying. How does it work because the way I understand it is you level up making surveying maps and the maps require the Redwall Crystal that you get from surveying. I probably misunderstood something along the way and just need some guidance.

Redwalls also drop randomly from most mobs in the area and at a high rate from the red deer (do a few noob quests starting with Blanche until you get an awl to tap the big red crystal north of town). You can frequently buy them used too. You really only need one or two to get started, as the recipe won't always even consume the crystal. You will end up with a ton of them overall (you usually get multiples from the survey). Redwalls are also used to make later tiers of gem survey, so keep 'em.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
To my knowledge there are only rats and cats in-game at the moment.

If you're looking for something to go with fire magic and don't actually like animal handling that much, psychology or mentalism are really incredible support skills to go with the DPS of your choice. They both do roughly the same stuff, but psych seems to lean a little more towards crowd/rage control and mentalism has more buffs and heals. Mentalism's Psi Power Wave is a big hit at parties.

My pig main switches between animal handling, psych, and mentalism as secondary, I like all three depending on what I need at the moment.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've seen BC combo staffs, beaker on a stick or something like that. Does Hogan sell them?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kevlar Beard posted:

Is there like, a guide somewhere? I equipped a shield, but I don't have any shield skills, I bought an axe and got some oak, but I kind of want to kill things.

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skills

Equipping gear to get the full skillset for it only happens in a couple scripted events during the tutorial (Archery and Sword). The full Shield skillset comes from getting favor with a dude in the tutorial cave. :)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

Pig - You learn it by becoming a pig and can only use it in pig form. The easiest way to become pig is to grind a Pig Juice potion off pigs in Serbule and use it.

Technically you are correct in that this is the easiest, but it's also potentially very time-consuming. I used to grind pig-deaths like mad before the bacon recipe got nerfed, and I saw far more Un-Pig Juice drops than Pig Juice (if any Pig Juice at all, maybe one). The fastest and still fairly easy route to pigdom is to just drop 400 or so to buy one used, they show up at a lot of Serbule vendors.

30.5 Days posted:

Does anyone else have good starter advice for choosing skills?

Speaking of Pig, there don't seem to be many oinkers around compared to Cow (the more popular and easily gotten/cured comedy option) and Lycanthrope. My main is Pig though, and for anyone considering it and frustrated with the lack of info out there I'll say this: Pig seems designed for the players who like goofing around with noncombat utility type stuff. Pig gives bonuses to and gets bonuses from things like Foraging, Gardening, Mycology and Myconic, and then I think Foraging boosts Gardening and Gardening boosts Cooking and Mycology boosts Alchemy and basically bonuses left and right. I'm not sure Spider or Lycanthrope have any related skills like that, and as I recall Cow only has one.

You can also press a button every 30 seconds to attempt to spawn a mushroom harvest node in front of you. This goes by tiers: Truffle Sniff 1 either comes back with nothing or a Parasol mushroom, Truffle Sniff 2 comes back with nothing, a Parasol, or a Mycena, and so on. Because it's a normal harvest node and not just an item that pops into your inventory, you get Mycology+Myconic xp (and therefore Pig bonuses) along with the infinite mushrooms for crafting/quests/favor. (This button also gives piggies another advantage in gardening, because you can sit there spawning mushrooms and getting xp while you wait for your other plants to grow.) Because you'll be leveling Mycology at roughly the speed of sound, you'll also be able to put your mushrooms to use as some pretty sick Spore Bombs if you can spare the Strange Dirt from your gardening supplies and get your hands on some fish. My bombs do more base damage than my actual attacks right now.

Pig's actual skills are basically single-target attacks, an AOE fear, a damage buff and a damage resist buff, I think a brief but powerful speed buff, that sort of thing. You can also eat mushrooms to power your class heal. From what I hear Cow out-tanks us, but I consider Pig pretty fun and worthwhile if you're gathering/crafting-happy enough to really take advantage of everything it can do. :mrapig:

Also I haven't gotten the chance to really test it because I don't group often and haven't had a huge amount of playtime since the patch, but if I remember right pig has been tweaked to generate less aggro/rage and has a Harmlessness (aggro/rage?) reduction power I haven't unlocked yet.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Also we don't sound horrible like cows do, which is probably the most important.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

You can't wield a handsaw, so it's much harder to level foraging

This was fixed in a recent patch, kinda. The spawn rate of apples went through the roof, so between apples and flowers you have a lot more foraging exp available until you can pick up all those grapes all over north Serbule. Apples were pretty much the only really rough spot for animals when they hardly spawned. By the time you can pick guavas around mid skill level you're home free, because Sun Vale spawns guavas like mad.

30.5 Days posted:

The other forms, I don't know much about.

I've also played a bunch of spider, and I'd describe it so far as basically pure DPS with minimal crowd control ability. Doesn't seem to have any real defenses or buffs at all unless something comes later, but it hits like a truck and can spawn two baby spiders at a time (through an admittedly annoying incubation mechanism) that hit like slightly smaller trucks. Spider has an illusion power to talk to NPCs that don't like animals, but unless you're prepared to grind a bunch of surveying or pay people who do, you're not gonna have the moonstones to use it.

Spider goes amazingly well with mentalism due to the combination of heals and support AOEs with your babies - basically any damage buff or armor buff or power restoration you cast has its usefulness multiplied x3 even if you're just soloing. Plus mentalism fills in the complete lack of defenses in the spider set, and spider's pure DPS goes great with Pain Bubble.

EDIT: Also, for anyone making a run into the Crypt for spider supplies, be aware that the something like nine extra skills the spider npc will train you in are sold as scrolls rather than the usual click-to-learn mechanism. So leave lots and lots of inventory space so you won't have to come back every few levels, and just stick the scrolls in the bank until you can use them.

UNRELATED EDIT: My pig is now looking for Pyrite, because Malevolent Spore Bombs suddenly depart from the previous recipes of fish + strange dirt + mushroom and need mushroom + Pyrite instead.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

Pyrite spawns like mad in the mushroom dungeon.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. :) I can probably go past picking at the entry mobs there now that I've updated my gear.

EDIT: Forgot to mention sort of an unofficial bonus of being an animal - if you're active in chat and interact with people and group from time to time, pretty much everyone remembers that you're an animal. I guess there aren't that many of us total, or we just stand out more, but it's not at all unusual for someone who gets an animal gear drop they can't use to remember "hey, username I grouped with once last week was a spider, I should see if they need this." I see it in chat pretty often and have had some excellent offers myself. :dance: Got a great pig helmet earlier today and the other person didn't even want anything for it, though I always offer to buy or trade something.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm okay with that. :getin:

Grinding dumb less-profitable higher level Surveying on Scuttle for a bit on my way to moonstones. Anyone still need metal? Otherwise I'll probably just spam the gem ones.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

I'll buy your metals at vendor price if that works.

That's fine. I'm not stressed too much about gem-level profit since I can make it up with gems/gardening later, I just didn't want to farm up metal if no one even needed it and it'd just get vendored. :) All types? I got Surveying to 35 last night (woo!) so I can farm up to whatever the greenish colored metal is. I have maybe ten of those now and more of the lower tiers, but I need to hang on to just enough that I can use them to make more surveys.

Scuttle was getting his spider butt kicked in parts of Eltibule while actually running those Surveys though, but he seems to be leveling pretty quickly off of murdering his firey brethren and random cult guys in the hills. I think I got him to Spider 20/Mentalism 20 last night so I could go back and swap into some higher level jewelry I had saved. Not sure when those Gnashers will stop one-shotting me while sitting on top of my survey points.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 24, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Speaking of skills I do have my gardening up to 35 if anyone needs anything that high that they may need but can't quite grow yet.

I think that's when you can start planting cotton for crazy profit - do you have any? I can pass you five cottons to get you started if you don't, they're mildly annoying to find in the wild.

Also, how do I add a character to the spreadsheet without knocking everything out of alignment? I'd like to get Scuttle on there too since Mraaj is abandoning surveys, and Scuttle might take up tailoring too when I run out of other stuff to waste time and pretend money on.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pesterchum posted:

Right-click on the numbers on the left and you can select 'insert 1 above' or 'insert 1 below' to make a row.

Excellent, thanks!

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

Just fyi, you're prolly losing money at 'vendor price' selling the highest tier metals. I did some masterwork today and poo poo was expensive.

Yeah, I know, but like I said I don't mind, it's only a waste if I'm literally just dumping it at a vendor. :) I can make it up doing other stuff.

re: Gardening and food money, Guava Beet Muffins are good too. Though I think Wolp may have been the one who said something in chat about not wanting to garden for food money, and if that's the case I don't know any good hunting-dependent recipes aside from pre-nerf bacon.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Frog Act posted:

So I made a guy, got out of the tutorial cave and collected some mushrooms for a dude. Then I did a couple other random quests but pretty much everything I've tried to do has gotten me utterly owned. I guess I'm wondering, what am I supposed to be doing? I dig the EQ1 kind of vibe, though.

Yeah, there really is no quest-by-level sorting system in this game so if you try to do every quest as you get it you're going to get flattened. If you're still super low level, probably the safest thing to do is get your skills up by punching pigs/rats/spiders and selling all the drops or using them for favor. You can also go south of Serbule until you find skeletons (watch out for the mantis territory next to that though), or jump into a lake north of town and look for the portal into the sewers which is basically the newbie dungeon after the tutorial. You can try the Crypt further into skeleton territory/connected to the sewers, but it's quite crowded and you're likely to get eaten by 500 spiders.

Things to hang on to: strange dirt (gardening is money), femurs (either for necromancy fuel or more gardening once you get a new recipe from Therese favor). Possibly pork shoulder, but I haven't done the math to see if the new bacon recipe is profitable at all anymore with having to buy salt. Still, it's easy to level with once you have at least Cooking 5.

To make cash and favor much, much easier, take up gardening+cooking and surveying (Joeh sells the book and supplies). Several good NPCs like various types of cooked food, and improving favor with them will give them more money per week to buy stuff from you. Baked Beets at Gardening/Cooking 20 are the best combo of easy to make, profitable to sell, and good returns when given as gifts to NPCs that like them. Surveying gets you gems, which sell very well and have other NPCs that like them. Keep amethysts though, as they're used in teleporting spells.

(Don't buy every cooking recipe, Honey Ham and/or Baked Potato is enough to level with until you get Bacon and/or Hash Browns at 5 and Boiled Cabbage at 10. At 15 there's Cabbage Soup and Sausage, and then at 20 you can make Baked Beets. If you try to buy every recipe you'll end up realizing you burned money on stuff that needs wood chips or butter or something that requires an entire extra skill that's difficult to get/level. :psyduck: )

One helpful trick is to give the banker cooked food until he likes you enough to start hanging out. His hang out rewards are cash, or at least the 4 and 8 hour ones are (there's also a 60 minute one, but you can't repeat it and I don't remember what it does). You can get 100 money/hour from this dude, though you'll have to log back in if you want to start a new block of hang out time. It's not a lot and you'd get more actually playing, but it helps to buy bank slots and poo poo as a newbie if you just hop on a few times a day to click the hang out button. If you log back in during a hang out, it just pauses the timer until you log off again. Once you can do the 4 hour one you can stop giving him food and just hang out with him over and over to build favor.

EDIT: Die a lot, btw. Dying is good, and dying in new and creative ways is even better. The Dying skill is good, and should be leveled. :)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 25, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The current friending function sucks too, since last I checked you can only friend while standing next to someone in-game. Hopefully that will see some improvement along with some sort of guild system being implemented.

Tanners posted:

is there some kind of medium sized city we could claim or is the game world still pretty small?

Not sure what you mean by claiming a city, but the general center of activity is Serbule (the walled town after the newbie cave).

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm interested! Assuming the top harness isn't the level 30 one, I have one of those in the bank I found used on a vendor.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Interesting update in the launcher. There's going to be a new crafting thing added using multiple(?) existing skills so you can make temporary(?) item enchantments or something.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Got sidetracked from my metal-hunting by RL and also the need to level up Scuttle enough to gather around Eltibule without getting stomped. Then, when I log on the other night, I find someone dumping probably a hundred surveys around the Serbule well. :aaaaa: It's taken me hours total to run most of them, but so worth it.

Now that I have a giant stack of moonstones and can use the illusion, spider has gotten even better. I was able to make the rounds of Marna and the fire mage guy on just one use of it, turning in quests and whatnot. Only annoying thing is the illusion seems to be buggy; when the countdown was up I tried to use it again, but it didn't use a moonstone or do anything besides putting the ability back on (an incredibly long) cooldown. :argh: So keep an eye out for that until it gets fixed, if anyone else is playing spider.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ruggan posted:

idk... it's quirky but not deep in that same crazy self-interactive way

Yeah, Gorgon seems to be aiming more for a weirdly better Everquest 1 than Minecraft or something.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

Project Gorgon: You eat the corpse of Mr. Squeaky. +25XP in Percussion Instruments.

This is perfect.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

I created a cow alt to play around with and do stupid things. My main is only level 40 or so but every time I get on the cow and zoom through the zone with the speed boost, I can't help but giggle at the absurdity of it. I find myself wanting to play the cow more and more. I see the other animal forms have similar burst running abilities. Pig, for example, looks almost identical. Am I wrong? The constant mooing of the primary attack drives me nuts but I like the ability to stand in town asking people to help me milk myself. There is also the many possible secondaries that make for strange gameplay. Necro cow? Psychiatrist cow? Cow with a pet tiger? Do the other animals play much differently?

I haven't had time to actually play much the last week or two, but I have a bunch of hours on both pig and spider. Neither is as painful to listen to as cow, IMO. Pig is a fairly normal melee fighter with self-buffs and a heal and whatnot, though its main strength is in the hands of players who are into side skills like gardening, foraging and mycology. There's basically a chain reaction of related skill bonuses for a LOT of skills when it comes to pig, and their ability to create infinite mushrooms means, among other things, your mycology skill will shoot right up (mushroom bomb damage gets ridiculous).

Spider is the rogue/wizard of the animals. It's very DPS-oriented and has to rely on gear and secondary skill for defenses and support. Goes extremely well with mentalism, because the AOE support powers get more mileage when you have baby spider minions at your side also getting buffed. Spider also has the second easiest time completing quests (after lycanthrope), as they have an illusion on a long cooldown that lets you briefly convince NPCs you're not a spider, for the price of one moonstone per cast. Obviously you'll need to go surveying a lot or be ready to pay for moonstones though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Farg posted:

I started playing this game yesterday, level 27/25 fire mage/ psych atm. How the gently caress do I get sulfur and saltpeter?

Make the rounds of merchants regularly (including the fairy outside of Serbule) and check their used tab. It gets expensive, but you have the advantage of lots of other people doing the RNG of loot drops for you.

I think at least one merchant in Eltibule can have them too, and the mushroom merchant in the myconian dungeon will buy anything.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do trade windows work yet? That was on my list of Reasons To Take A Gorgon Break, along with other things I can't remember right now so maybe they weren't that important. :saddowns:

I like giving/selling stuff to random people but the honor system or having to meet in a back alley somewhere was getting kinda old.

EDIT: Hopped on to check out the new engine once the update downloaded, and dang. :aaa:

EDIT2: Granted, the colors (especially those blue rooftops) are almost hurting my eyes, but still. I don't remember the player spider model having that much texture.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 8, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh, I know people are pretty free with gear, I mostly meant like...selling cotton stacks and stuff, if that's still even a thing. :) Also I remember at least one incident of someone doing a drive-by and taking items during a trade, which is the other reason I'd really like working windows. It may not happen often, but it's still annoying to have to work around.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember where drums come from, or have one they'd be willing to briefly lend me? I want to test something. :science: (Although it looks like that may not be possible at the moment, I'm seeing reports of Serbule being massively broken and that's where all my characters are.)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 8, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

Serbule is fixed now. I can lend you a drum. Character name?

Thanks! I'm on as Scuttle, just wandered into Eltibule but I can put on my sprint ring and scoot back.

EDIT: Thanks again. :buddy: So yep, confirmed animals can't use any instruments, which is a bummer. Spider should be able to drum though, since they literally do drum on things in real life. :3:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Angela Christine posted:

File a bug report. :v:

:downsrim:

I really do hope animals playing music becomes a thing, it's as surreal as anything else in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and it really puts a damper on my desire to continue playing. (snip) I can say the same thing about every single one of the Early Access games I've purchased on Steam to date as well; and, I can also say that every single one of them has been a waste of money since the project inevitably collapsed without leaving alpha.

I feel your pain, honestly. I bought Starbound. :v: Which was fun for a while, and still is when I just want to wander around and put on hats, but there's no denying it's still got flaws and the developers frequently seem overwhelmed, directionless, and confused.

However, we've BEEN playing Gorgon and I'm just not getting that feeling from this guy. He's obviously a big nerd, but he knows what, specifically, he intends to accomplish, and he's been working consistently towards doing that. He's also really reasonable about advice and suggestions. I'm still kind of impressed that I sent in "hey, it would really help if the mentalism wave icons color-matched with the health, etc. bars so you could more easily find the power you wanted in combat" and that was implemented almost immediately. It's a little thing, but it made a big difference to my sanity.

Considering the alpha so far, personally I'd feel comfortable throwing a reasonable B2P fee at it to help it continue. Or if nothing else, as a "thank you" for the fun I've already had. :toot:

Inimicul posted:

I watched the video they made for the upcoming drive and noticed that he's making this with his wife. That means at some point they had the conversation about Blanche, Rita, leather parties, two dicks, and the destruction of the elf city. They're all in game so she must have said "Great idea!"

At some point in the thread someone dug up a blog post where he discussed the creation process of the elves, and considering elf culture originally happened as a response to "wow, all the cheap/free elf placeholders I can find for my game are sexist as hell, I don't have it in me to treat this as unremarkable" this isn't terribly surprising. Gorgon elves are perverted and funny without being sexist (the men are bisexual, half-dressed, and having sexy parties too), and that's pretty nice after years of lovely MMOs. I've grown to like them for that reason and every other woman I've introduced to Gorgon has gotten a kick out of them too.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is it confirmed 100% that this is the plan? I don't follow those forums but I know he's floated other funding ideas in the past, like donations or a small monthly subscription from ee.

I haven't been able to find anything after briefly browsing around, but I hope B2P ends up being the final choice. Aside from the fact that I personally don't pay subs anymore and am therefore biased, P2P business models have been failing pretty regularly even with giant budgets and brand recognition (hi, TESO), neither of which Project Gorgon has.