Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i may add these other RPGs to my list, though it would be very tentatively. i only have so much time to game, unfortunately..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

i basically bought OR because i skipped R/S and lost my Y cart
you dont even have to try to steamroll everything

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Pokemon xy is wise. Oras is real freaking bad.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's just boring and you can tell that they just turned the old maps into 3d instead of remaking the whole hting.

you're so dumb

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

i basically bought OR because i skipped R/S and lost my Y cart
you dont even have to try to steamroll everything

That's every pokemon game you retard. If you have trouble beating a pokemon game you need to gently caress off to the games thread.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

RS was already bad and ORAS is pretty much the same game with a lick of paint (and the really good dex nav), so all the poo poo stuff like the same awful pokemon on the surf routes is still in.

Have you never heard of a repel? Plus all the surf routes are optional except from LilyCove city to the E4.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You should fasttrack Link Between Worlds because it's a very good videogame.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

nah but the dive/surf areas were so much worse in R/S and the water was like 50% of the map

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

nah but the dive/surf areas were so much worse in R/S and the water was like 50% of the map

earth is 70% ocean

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Have you never heard of a repel? Plus all the surf routes are optional except from LilyCove city to the E4.

If you have to use an item to avoid the gameplay in a game because it's so freaking mind numbing, the game is bad.

Dec 26, 2012

Hace posted:

yeah it owns

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you have to use an item to avoid the gameplay in a game because it's so freaking mind numbing, the game is bad.

Dude I use repels all the time when I'm walking on grass and in caves. I've never liked the random encounter system. I think I started using repels in black and white when it would finally automatically tell you when your repel runs out and ask you if you want to use another.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

That's every pokemon game you retard. If you have trouble beating a pokemon game you need to gently caress off to the games thread.

it has flatter leveling than the gen 2 games,
flatter than your face after im done grinding it against a concrete wall too

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Dude I use repels all the time when I'm walking on grass and in caves. I've never liked the random encounter system. I think I started using repels in black and white when it would finally automatically tell you when your repel runs out and ask you if you want to use another.

I never felt like I had to use them ever, unless I was backtracking or got lost, until now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The cool thing I like about the current gen, is that you can catch and trade all pokemon easily and you can get all the megastones.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

it has flatter leveling than the gen 2 games,
flatter than your face after im done grinding it against a concrete wall too

No? The level curve in RSE is pretty decent? Gen 2's level curve is 9-40 before the E4, and then 40-50 for the next 8 gyms. RSE is 15-43 and ORAS is 14-46.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I never felt like I had to use them ever, unless I was backtracking or got lost, until now.

Idk I always hated finding random encounters because they gave out so little exp it wasnt even worth killing them and it made trekking through caves or stuff like the abandoned powerplant awful.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

One thing I do like about oras is that with the dex nav I'm pretty much avoiding random stuff naturally so without exp share even my strongest pokemon aren't as strong as trainers. Makes tough battles decently tough.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The hosed up thing is that GSC's hosed up level curve actually helped make it a little more difficult since there's so little available exp that you're usually mid 30s early 40s by the time you hit the E4.

The real problem is probably the plot with team rocket. You'll have 6 badges when you clear out the Mahogany Town hideout, and they all still have level 20 raticates. You'll have 7 badges when you clear out the radio tower, and they STILL have level 20 raticates.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

One thing I do like about oras is that with the dex nav I'm pretty much avoiding random stuff naturally so without exp share even my strongest pokemon aren't as strong as trainers. Makes tough battles decently tough.

Dex Nav is probably the single biggest improvement to this series in a long time. Can't wait for it to not be included in the next generation.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

starbarry clock posted:

the secret bases were/are the best part

Why did they stop putting this in Pokemon games... Are they sick in the head or something?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

No? The level curve in RSE is pretty decent? Gen 2's level curve is 9-40 before the E4, and then 40-50 for the next 8 gyms. RSE is 15-43 and ORAS is 14-46.
it wouldnt have hurt a steeper curve, like ending at 56 instead of 46, low forties after 6 badges because drat does it feel real flat in this part

Borsche69 posted:

Dex Nav is probably the single biggest improvement to this series in a long time. Can't wait for it to not be included in the next generation.
that would be legit the first thing I would miss in a long time

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Mario golf is a good choice, legit. Might I also suggest space harrier 3d off the eshop, because space harrier owns and there's literally never a bad time for it

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Why did they stop putting this in Pokemon games... Are they sick in the head or something?

There's actually like 2 teams or something and for a hosed up reason they don't like including popular features from their own previous games or from the other team's games.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

it wouldnt have hurt a steeper curve, like ending at 56 instead of 46, low forties after 6 badges because drat does it feel real flat in this part

ORAS has a flatter curve at the start, but it ramps up higher at the end - higher than the original RSE.

Most 8th gym leaders end at around mid 40s to 50. GSC and X/Y are the only exceptions, with the former ending at 40 and the latter ending at like 55. ORAS is pretty normal in terms of level curve.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

A Spider Covets posted:

oh yeah, yoshi's island, even though they changed the music in an upsetting way.

gently caress YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just got a 3ds and i'd like some recommendations on what to pick up for it. Let's make the most epic insane list of games that are win!

WHAT I GOT SO FAR:
  • Mario 3D Land
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

ALREADY ON MY LIST:
  • Pokemon X/Y
  • Bravely Default
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Xenoblade

I'm curious about Mario Kart 7. Was that any good? Would it be worth picking up even if nobody plays it anymore??

those are goood games :cheers: pheonix wright 5 is good too. um, for eshop garbage there's Shovel Knight if u haven't played it on one of a million other platforms, Shantae: And the Pirates Curse which is funa ND sexy :flashfap: and some cool poo poo like Shinobi 3 3d version and Donkey Kong '94.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

donkey knog country returns is good too even tho it runs at 30 fps. it is is also better than the rare dkc games :twisted:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

gently caress YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

you're not wormskull!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

you're not wormskull!

Rofl.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

you're not wormskull!

that's my friend lyle and we spare an apt above a bodega

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
the inexorable march of technology aka lack of ds emulation at the time and ruby sapphire being so terrible completely made lose interest in pokemon

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

why cant they add a difficulty option for pokemon games

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

babypolis posted:

why cant they add a difficulty option for pokemon games

They did in BW2 but made you beat the game before you could activate it and then removed it in subsequent generations lmao

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Hace posted:

epic this.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
The only game you will ever need is Project X Zone.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

The only game you will ever need is Project X Zone.

na u need other games.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Average Bear posted:

They did in BW2 but made you beat the game before you could activate it and then removed it in subsequent generations lmao

Also you had to trade for it if you had White2, because beating the game in White2 only unlocked easy mode, ahahah.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I bought SSB and Pokemon OR and enjoy them both. I also got Etrian 4 on sale and look forward to it.

I also look forward to this thread to help me catch up on some sweet 3ds RPGs and other games

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

Also you had to trade for it if you had White2, because beating the game in White2 only unlocked easy mode, ahahah.

Gamefreak makes really hilarious decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mario kart 7 is the only mario kart on 3ds so it will still have people playing

• Locked thread