Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

down n out posted:

Kowloon City was definitely an impressive failure though. Nothing like living in an ultra dense mega-slum.

If it hadn't been torn down it would have stood for eternity. No room for anything to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

5er posted:

That house is for people that want to get photographed for being rich fucks up on a great big hill where everyone can see them.

You could just do this all day long.

Or maybe have a couple friends over.

The bedrooms are much more private, they are only a huge glass wall on one side. Still, anyone in the living room can look across the pool area directly into the bedrooms.You'd need to be a pathologically tidy exhibitionist to live there.

Great if you were claustrophobic, or desperately afraid of people sneaking up on you though. You'd never have to worry about spooky haunted house shenanigans, you can see everything. If a ghost wanted to surprise you it would have to wait in the bathroom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fojar38 posted:

Speaking of the University of Toronto campus has anyone posted Robarts Library aka Brutalist Peacock?

What function does the "head" serve? Is it an elevator shaft or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

If brutalism is your thing, might as well go for broke and post the German Flak towers from WWII

The concrete was so thick that soviet artillery was completely ineffective, and American bombers gave them a wide berth when doing daylight raids due to the number of guns mounted on them. Apparently they could depress the 128mm guns enough to engage soviet tanks miles out. After the war they realized that trying to demolish these things would have been an undertaking almost as expensive as the invasion of Europe and left them.

Those look like they are in good condition. What do they use them for now? Office space?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nomadologique posted:

this seems like the way this building is meant to look.

This one will look great in the post-apocalyptic nuclear winter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Koyaanisqatsi owns. What's with Canada and brutalism? Too many architects buying Rush albums in the 70s?

We live lives of quiet desperation. Snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Due to politeness we can only express our existential dread through terrible architecture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

never trust an elf posted:

it must be hard to label/find rooms in this thing

Imagine being the pizza man. :stare:

Or what if you live in unit 1308, your your buddy lives in 1325. If you want to visit him, how do you get there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NihilismNow posted:

I read about this but i still don't know how such a thing can happen. Isn't the elevator shaft a fairly important structural part of the building in most buildings? Even if you just copy pasted floor 15 a bunch of times to get to 47 you would think the elevator shaft would still be there.

Every university was actually built using the blueprints for a prison.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

joat mon posted:

Take this:

Tear it down and put up this instead:

Okay, the first one is pretty as hell, but I bet it was unpleasant to navigate and expensive to maintain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fajita Fiesta posted:

On a similar note does anyone have some urban planning monstrosities? Hypothetical ones would be great. Cities: Skyline comes out in an hour and I'm looking for some inspiration for my virtual hellscape.

Victory City.

Beyond architecture, beyond city planning, this monstrosity would have homes, work, farms, entertainment, education, its own power plants and other utilities, waste disposal, and everything else for 332,000 people. They also have their own private security, private postal delivery, private hospitals, private schools, private fire service, private everything. No one from the government need ever come here.

Here's one of the cafeterias where everyone eats. Everyone. Every meal. Your apartment has no kitchen facilities and there are no grocery stores. This saves tons of space, and eliminates rats, cockroaches and other pests in the residential areas.

It has everything you could need. It has it's own golf course, race track, even a zoo. You never have to leave! No one ever has to leave.

Enjoy your spacious 1, 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Do not be concerned by the lack of windows in the bedrooms, the darkness will make it easier to sleep. You will get used to it. Everyone will get used to it.

You will not be eaten by a Grue.

Mere floorplans cannot express the delightful efficiency of the decor. All furniture is included and fire resistant You don't need to bring a thing!
    "The building will be of reinforced poured concrete construction with a glass curtain wall on the outside. The interior walls will be mostly concrete, but some will be made of removable metal partitions which will have a non-flammable plastic foam in the center, sandwiched between two sheets of metal, probably aluminum with a baked enamel in various decorator colors. The furniture will all be metal, similar to office furniture, and will be specially designed for Victory City so that not an inch of space will be wasted, and each individual item of furniture will be designated for a particular position in an apartment.

The ideal arrangement will be predetermined with the location of all furniture to be included in the architect's plans and each piece of furniture specified in detail"

If you can not afford a spacious suite, we also have bachelor rooms for you. You do not get windows. Poors do not need windows.
Look, every floor has a rec room including a pool table and ping pong table! Oh what fun we'll have.

Too poor to afford a private room? We have dormitories for people like you. And we know just who you are, because we own the only bank.

"Nine times out of ten, when a person is evicted from an apartment, it is for nonpayment of rent. This situation could never arise in Victory City because of the requirements for a minimum bank balance for each size apartment, coupled with the moving of people to smaller and cheaper apartments whenever their balance drops below the minimum. If a resident living in one of the wards, where he will have only a bed and a locker, suddenly found himself in a financial position where his bank balance had dropped below the minimum required for a ward, then that resident will have to be put out.

A resident will agree in writing (by signing the rental contract in advance of renting an apartment or ward) to allow Victory City to put him/her out if his/her bank balance drops below the minimum requirement for a ward. This will save Victory City the cost of obtaining court-ordered evictions."
    "Any time a person moves out of an apartment, the management will clean, repair, paint or restore the apartment in whatever way necessary to prepare it for the next occupant. The total cost of this preparation will be deducted from the former tenant's bank account.

A tenant's entire bank account will be a type of damage deposit. Agreement to this will be included in the terms of the rental contract."

Would you like to know more? http://www.victorycities.com/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Noggin Monkey posted:

All I can surmise is that guy really hated people.

He was a landlord. Of course he hated people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NihilismNow posted:

My point exactly. Those kinds of markets are one of the most tacky things on the planet and a sure sign of poor taste.
I don't see how it is remotely ok to place one of those things next to a church.

Don't let all the stall-lovers ITT get you down. Jesus agrees with you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gender illusionist posted:

owns

grotto made of wine bottles over many years. He intended it to be like a greenhouse but the bottles block all the light plants need so...

It's bright enough for a few ferns.

Frostwerks posted:

lol not that kinda greenhouse dude

What other kind is there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Solus posted:

Don't mind me. Just trying to find a place to Rent.

I'm sure you'll find something here: http://www.worstroom.com/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Payndz posted:

There's a Knightrider Street just down from St Paul's (by the steps where the Cybermen invaded).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bogans could hide in the bushes. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Halah posted:

The best thing about this building (and most fitting for this thread) are the handles. They badly need a coat of paint but they can't figure out how to do it.

Looks like that building is going to hell in a handbasket.

:quig:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fly Molo posted:

The idea was to force human interaction because it houses the social sciences.

LOL, that architect hates social science students.

Should have been the math building.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Smuggins posted:

Well now I have a "Stupid thing to buy in case of Lottery winnings" property. The land around it look perfect for a Logans Run-esque walking garden before you arrive at my Renew-Center. (of doom)

But in Michigan...eh.

You get a lot more bang for your buck in a flyover state. Buy your fortress of doom, and have enough money left over for a zombie apocalypse cosplay site in detroit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Marshmallow Blue posted:

this city is brought to you by, the Letter H.

Seriously never understood this building.

I'll see your H and raise you an M.

The M is also an elephant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neutrino posted:

If someone spends a poo poo ton of money for such a big mansion why can't they spend a few bucks on decent landscaping?

According to this http://homesoftherich.net/2015/04/the-ugliest-weirdest-looking-60000-square-foot-mega-mansion-ever/ it has been sitting there unfinished for years. First built in 2001 on 10 acres of land. Now in forclosure.

I suppose you could make it into a really ugly hotel. But it looks like the majority of rooms have tiny windows or no windows at all. The ends look normal, but one side is all garage, and the other side looks like this:

Weirdly there is another just like it right next door. A bit smaller, only 7 car garage. https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.541064,-95.403612,3a,15y,182.47h,83.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjZl1ViNyl_MYoXcej5385A!2e0!6m1!1e1 This shows the "mansion" in question, its little brother is to the left.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turfahurf posted:

The only use I can think of is going out for a smoke and not having to deal with skunks and other critters, and maybe a better view in the daytime.

Yeah, but even for that wouldn't a simple balcony be better than a staircase? A moderately athletic person could use it as a fire escape, but again a staircase to nowhere isn't the usual way that is done.

What could even be up there? If you look at the height of the second floor windows, that door has to lead into the attic, and with the pitch of the roof it's not going to be a comfortable room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You don't know how much I hope that was a blanket factory.

Apparently it's an experimental factory, so blankets are a possibility.

http://www.architekturtourismus.com/fileadmin/pic/Architekturtourismus/architektouren/Broschuere/PDFs/md_experimentelle_fabrik.pdf

quote:

The experimental factory (EFM) is an
institute of research used by the university
and private firms. It is situated on the
south-eastern side of the campus of the
Otto-von-Guericke University. The EFM
was designed as a compact building unit
of three staggered buildings of different
heights.
In east/west direction, the building is
covered with a bright aluminium sheet
in the colours orange, pink and silver
grey. This design creates flowing outlines
and it cotters the parts of the building.
Inside the multi-functional building, the
foyer is the main orientation and reference
point. It has an open stairway which connects
the first two floors optically as well
as functionally. Intense colours were used
in this part of the building as well.
The use of materials like steel, aluminium
and glass emphasise the object character
of the building. It sets an accent through
its urban design, exposed location and
boldly announces the establishment of a
new site for the science

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, its the "my child can do better art than this modern stuff" of architecture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Logikv9 posted:

Life and death situations are well-known for their teamwork building ability, mission accomplished.

Unless a guy shows he's a craven rear end in a top hat who pushes a pregnant lady out of the way in his rush for the exit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Has MIT’s Stata Center been posted? I don’t recall seeing it, but it was designed by thread favourite Frank Gehry.

The view from the street is not great. Let’s step inside and check out the courtyard.

strap on revenge posted:

this piece of poo poo is gehry's only contribution to australia thankfully

I wonder if this aggressively asymmetric stuff is annoying the construction workers that have to build it. Dude goes to work with his carpenter's square, his level, and his plumb line and WTF is he suppose to do here?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krinkle posted:

Was that the stephen king book about the coma guy who saw the future and needed to assassinate the president? This feels like a direct reference to something but I can't quite place it.

e: Seinfeld? gently caress.

No specific reference, though Seinfeld is one of the places it has come up. Sometimes a life or death situation brings out the best in people, and sometimes it brings out the worst. Having to act in an emergency without time to think can reveal hidden sociopaths and assholes among us.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thekeeshman posted:

rather than subsidizing the rent, which as we've seen doesn't work.

Nah, rent can work fine. You just need government commitment to funding maintenance and competent staff. BC Housing has a bunch of clean, pleasant public housing units built back in the 70s.

A big one in Victoria BC is Blanshard Courts (renamed Evergreen Terrace a few years ago). 183 units, a mix of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments in 4 story apartment buildings (no elevators), and 2 story townhouses with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The townhouses get tiny individual fenced in backyards The middle areas have lots of green space, some tables and play areas. No mixed use, but the lot is long and narrow along a busy street, with strip malls across the way.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Bl...af5f8d765f2e9c6 <- you can use streetview to look around a bit. It's the huge swath of green buildings.

I found some winter rainy day pictures of a few developments in Victoria. http://www.herwayhome.ca/content/index.html They don't look quite so drab on sunny days. They are all 40 year old buildings and look it, but well maintained.

It's not as vibrant and lively as the mixed use pictures we saw of Singapore, but it's also not a horrifying distopian hellscape like some of the american examples either. Renting can work, but it relies on the governing authority having the ability to maintain the housing stock.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Square buildings are boring, what if we made them curved? Oh, right then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The original house has really tiny windows. Unusually tiny windows. Obviously the tiny windows drove them mad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Default Settings posted:

Hey guys, let me link you to The Something Awful Forums Discussion Ask / Tell › Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer! for all your road planning needs.

And let's return to the finer details of post-soviet DIY architecture.

What happened there? Did the building owner decide to build an extension with whatever he had lying around?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therattle posted:

Brutalism is cool and good when done well and properly maintained. It is bad when done poorly and/or badly maintained. It's like there is merit in every form of music (even polka), even if they aren't all to your taste.

It's a giant block of concrete, how much maintenance does it need?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FRINGE posted:

Eventually maybe 3d concrete printing magic will get there as well.

Or Diamond Age will hit and we'll all be living in diamond houses. Naw never mind the weird illuminati debeers family would kill everyone first.

Cubic zirconium houses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Trauma posted:

Have we had Les Orgues de Flandre in here yet? Because that is a collection of real oddballs.

These folks are living in the future.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maneki Neko posted:

I drive by this from time to time and I can only assume it's someone who profoundly hates his/her neighbors:

https://goo.gl/maps/7qMm3

There is a daycare right next door. Of course they hate their neighbours.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Lady of the Lake is a lot burlier than we'd been led to believe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

d3c0y2 posted:

Holy gently caress I love how this place is like in the middle of fields about half a mile up from a god drat trailer park

Oklahoma is a magical place.

It would have to be. In a well regulated city they would probably reject plans to build that house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therattle posted:

Not an entirely accurate analogy. More like a car that has a small engine and has a cabin that's really uncomfortable.

Like if the Reliant Robin had a bunch of pretentious gits praising it's novel design esthetic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RabbitWizard posted:

I wanna see all the rich people standing around an overflowing toilet and no one knows how to fix it, because all their knowledge is about high-frequency-trading and inheriting money.

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship? Make that one a comedy about the most useless and entitled crew ever. And then have them slowly choke to death because Enrique isn't there to change the air filters.)

That's why you bring staff. See their 'typical' design for your 2500 sq feet of tunnel.

10 bedrooms, 5 1/2 baths. Potentially space for 20 people. Except 3 of those bedrooms are master suites with a private bathroom and spacious sitting area. The other 7, potentially 14 people, are cramped boxes together sharing a total of 2 showers and 3 toilets. 10 bedrooms, but the dining table only seats 8 people. Home theater seats 8. Everyone in this set up is not remotely equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are there any high-rise apartment building split-level units? An eighty-story high-rise divided into three-floor units, with three bedrooms and a bath up top, a living room, dining room, and kitchen in the middle, and utility space/rumpus room on the bottom would be a sight to behold. Even with a divided entry. If this doesn't exist, why not?

Probably because of the space wasted by additional staircases. Staircases are bulky, as anyone who has just given up in The Sims and stuck the staircase on the outside of the house knows. Depending on codes they'll need to have two staircases going the entire height of the building, and since people hate to walk you'll also have an elevator or two. All those need to be there regardless of how the individual units are set up. Add a typical home staircase at 10 ft long by 2-3 ft wide and you are losing 20-30 sq ft of living space per unit, per floor for what are essentially decorative items. Having a 3000 sq ft apartment all on one floor just works better than having that same square footage spread over 2 or 3 floors.

• Locked thread