Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is the Stockholm school of architecture. The original plan (from what I've heard) was that the entire building would be covered in english ivy. You can see a little of it on the left, but it turned out that the ivy didn't like growing on the concrete that was used so it's just turned into a few sad patches of it.

The other side of the building which was ravaged by a fire in 2011. Some say it significantly improved its looks.

The city has decided to mark the building as culturally important which means it's protected against getting demolished. "The house expresses a desire for the search for a sort of proto-architecture without color or accents." is the literal reason. :barf:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Copper roofing is nice until it gets stolen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think those are pretty neat. At least it's much better than Yet Another Concrete Box.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Feminition posted:

tempe municipal building, built in the 70s. yes, it's an upside-down pyramid.
Does it come with an urban legend about the blueprint being held upside down?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Not just a giant mirror, but a giant concave mirror. :waycool:
Wasn't it the Marriot that literally melted cars parked in certain spots in front of it because it focused the sun on them like the world's biggest ant-burner?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep that was it, my bad. But it fits the thread:

http://www.livescience.com/39371-skyscraper-melts-cars-20-fenchurch.html

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

First thing I thought of.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spatule posted:

Quoting myself since nobody cam back alive from seeing this link (or didn't bother looking).

All those things have been built in the last five years.
As dumb as the motivation for the whole thing is, I still think it's a bit neat from a public decoration perspective. At least it's not yet another concrete cube with glass walls.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks as if that entire siding comes down like a shutter at the end of the day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reminds me of Turning Torso. Personally think Turning Torso looks pretty neat though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MikeJF posted:

But we were so close to the greatest thing ever, in 1992.
The chinese beat you to it.

Google Earth

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But the first two of Le Corbusier's plans were enclosed and look more like fortresses. The Interlace looks open and inviting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Houston in the '80s :stare:

This looks like Sim City when you've just zoned a commercial area and you only have mom and pop shops and parking lots yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Are big cities with really huge population doomed to these kinds of traffic congestion?
Sensible cities mitigate it with efficient mass transit or incentives to use bicycles, mopeds etc. It works poorly in the US though, where the general mindset outside of a few specific cities is that driving your car everywhere is a god-given right and mass transit is only for poors who can't afford a car.

Also many US cities are massive sprawls with low population density so building mass transit becomes very expensive in relation to how many people each stop's pick up area can cover.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Things like this always seemed confusing to me, just because if they're that expensive (simply due to location), you'd think they could spring for a bit of a refurbish, spruce it up a little.
Or you could just pocket the money you'd spend on renovations because people will buy your lovely apartments anyway due to location.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Here in Baltimore we have the Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower, of which all the best pictures are thin and narrow or decades old. Here's a picture of it in its full current context:

I'd say the tower itself isn't bad, but its surroundings really don't compliment it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Why is art deco making an appearance in a thread for mocking awful architecture?
Palate cleanser.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4TJkPLN_g8

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That common area has all the charm of an airport lounge.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

A new office building near me has green walls.
There should be more green walls in this world.
One of my regular watering holes has a huge living wall behind the bar. It's awesome and I'd want one at home if it wasn't for the fact that any plant I buy dies within a few months. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Kids still have to sit in the windowless, doorless rooms.
How do they get in and out of the rooms? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why do brutalist architects hate windows and sunlight so much?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The most improbable thing about BTTF isn't the time travel, it's that a DeLorean could get up to 88 mph.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Grover maja.
:cop: Sir, put down the polygon tool and step away from the computer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lt. Tanaka posted:

This is the interior of the brutalist Basilica of St Pius X.

There's something so unnerving about the walls or the lighting or maybe the shape of the room.
That would be pretty cool as a garage or an aircraft hangar. As a church, not so much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

peanut posted:

99 pages but a good post ain't one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

I see where Bethesda got the inspiration for Diamond City from.

• Locked thread