Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

This is some Warhammer 40K hive-city poo poo going on. Terrifying yet :black101: as gently caress at the same time. I feel afraid just looking at it, yet I like it at the same time. The eye staring up into the souls of those who look down is a great touch.

Would rent out an apartment there.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I feel that this thread should be renamed "The good and bad architecture thread", because some of the buildings in this thread are amazing.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

That house has some tiny windows, so I can see why they made that extension. It must be really gloomy in there, especially on cloudy days. It still could have been done better.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

It is a common thing in western states. Arizona is a loving wasteland of suburbs and parking lots. It is worse than hell here.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Default Settings posted:

It all looks so unnatural and unsustainable.

That's because it is. America used to be much more sensible before the "American Dream" was made up and everyone decided that infinite suburbs and roadways was the only way to live. Just like everything Americans do, it is very short-sighted, unsustainable, and unhealthy, and will end in disaster.

Accretionist posted:

The closer cityscape looks to forest, the better.
I agree completely.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I live in Phoenix. Downtown is like 3 blocks.

I live in Mesa, which is a suburb of Phoenix that is so vast that it is its own city. Same goes for Gilbert, and Queen Creek, and the rest of Maricopa. Its all suburbs all the time.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars? How good is public transit in most of Europe?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

88h88 posted:

I'm interested in knowing about these buses and poo poo because my city in the UK has about the same amount of people and there's a billion buses to everywhere running all day long from early morning to late at night. I've never been in a US city and used public transport, I've always had a car. LA seems like a nightmarish place to try and traverse if you don't own a car.

Downtown LA is quite good for walking. I stayed at a friend's apartment there for a week and had an easy time getting places. Just don't plan on good transit outside of downtown.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Brutalism can make some really cool structures. It usually looks great when used to make simple, powerful shapes, and often goes very well when mixed with trees and vegetation. The idea is to create an image of power and simplicity, shapes that look clean and unpretentious. The lovely brutalist buildings are the ones where they cant figure out how to incorporate windows and poo poo into the design and they end up with a gigantic wall with no features, or one of those hideous le corbusier style buildings. The worst way to do brutalism is to make it too repetitive. There needs to be shapes that break up the monotony or else it will look soulless. Its like any style really; there is a right way and a wrong way to do brutalism. Sadly, many people choose the wrong way and end up with some really ugly poo poo.

If there is any form of architecture that should be ridiculed and hated by everyone, it is that horrible blobitecture poo poo that the UK seems to like so much.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Always wanted to walk through an alien marshmallow vomiting a bridge!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I'm Crap posted:

no, it makes really cool black and white photos on the internet. it makes really unbelievably poo poo buildings in 100% of cases. every single one leaks, every single one is full of mould, every single one has concrete rot, almost all have incompetently designed, maze-like, dingy and human-unfriendly interiors. i'm fairly sure the only people who like them grew up in dreadful clapboard low-rise suburbs and mistakenly regard inept concrete monstrosities as a part of exotic urbanism. either that or they're just meme-spouting parrot cunts like i said. i consider this highly likely as they've all only started vocalising their preference for this one specific demonstrably failed architectural style in the last two years, coincidentally at the same time that everybody else did.

So, what kind of architecture is good?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

hnnnnnng it hurts my brain

Why would someone do this?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I kinda like the one with the blue dome. If they didn't put in so many loving windows below it, it might look really good.

That East Bloc architecture looks very hit-and-miss though. Sometimes one of them will look pretty decent and then the one right next to it will look like poo poo. Other times the building will look like they had a cool idea at some point before they hosed it up.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

This is the waiting room of my doctor's office:

imo, brutalism done right.

Your doctor sounds pretty cool to have such a rad waiting room.

I like this building. It is better than most brutalist buildings.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Did they send the architect and the people who approved it there? Because they belong there.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Gehry.... :argh:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Eew. How atrocious.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

That may not be architecture, but that image is slick as gently caress.
Suddenly I am curious as to what would happen if Gehry tried to design a van.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Have we had Les Orgues de Flandre in here yet? Because that is a collection of real oddballs.

These don't bother me too much.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

joedevola posted:

I was going through photos from when I lived in Seoul when I found this.

Korea is a bit of an acquired taste, architecturally, but that remains the ugliest building I've ever seen. There's so much wrong.

It looks like someone was building it and lost the blueprint halfway through. Nothing looks like it lines up quite right. Also, I do not understand all of those false-window looking things they got going next to the CASA sign. What is the point of that?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

AxeBreaker posted:

Not subtle: Czech artist David Cerny has made his feelings on the looming prospect of the Communists gaining political influence with a giant purple hand making an obscene gesture

Don't need no community college art appreciation course to figure out that one.

I can respect a monument like that. It's a real thing, right?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

PenguinBob posted:

this building looked like a cheap styrofoam prop and I'm glad it's dead

I would really like it if it didn't have that problem. What the hell did they build it with?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Millions of Crows posted:

Any time we see stairs without a railing a bunch of you turn into bitchy old grammas screaching "DEATHTRAP!" Ate you too fat or shaky to navigate stairs unassisted?

No, its just that when you need to go down the stairs at 2:00 AM and you are really loving tired and it is pitch-black in your house, and the assholes who built the house didn't put any light switches between your room and the stairs, you tend to want the damned railings there because you can't see where the steps are.

The railings are also nice when you have to move very large objects up the stairs. They're also good for keeping stupid loving kids from falling over the side of the stairs.

Also, when you have a stairwell that goes up 3 floors, it would probably be wise to make it so there is something keeping you from falling down the pit in the center.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Vernii posted:

If civilization ever comes to a violent end in our lifetimes, I hope you survive it so you can fulfill your dream of smoking rich people out of their bunkers.

I agree. It would make him a very happy man.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

One thing I have noticed is that people like for buildings to look old and built by humans, rather than new and built by space-aliens.

That's exactly how it is. There are very few exceptions.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

My junior high had 12 buildings. They were all a bunch of brick octagons with no windows. My elementary school was also a brick monolith with no windows. My high school was multiple brick monoliths with no windows.

If you like windows in your school, don't live in Mesa, AZ. Or any of the other cities in Maricopa county.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Gold and a Pager posted:

To continue school chat, my high school was never going to win any design awards, but in the 70s or 80s, the replaced all the windows with translucent plastic, leaving only small corner window that you could open up for fresh/cool air. Apparently it was to stop students from getting distracted from looking out the windows.

Wow. I am impressed. I thought that was a wall!

What the hell is with people building terrible schools?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Cacator posted:

I was in Macau last month and this monstrosity looms over the city:

Jesus. How terrifying.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

What happened to the classical concepts of architecture? What happened to columns, arches, vaulted ceilings, domes, pillars, buttresses, statues, fancy doors and windows, and all the fine detail you get with it? Why is the modern idea of architecture just walls of glass/concrete or buildings that are made in unnatural, nonfunctional shapes. When did basic geometry become uncool? I thought people liked older styles of architecture, which is why people want to go and visit places like France and Italy.

Bonster posted:

The problem with many of the starchitects like Hadid and Gehry is they start with a concept, and then try to squeeze in the purpose, and it ends up looking great and being a nightmare to use.
I have yet to see a Ghery building that looks good. All of it looks like a crumpled up piece of paper, or like a melting turd. Ghery is a loving hack, and all he does is build atrocities because he has some sort of personal vendetta against geometry.

Ghery doesn't even bother with the purpose, his buildings are garbage (and shaped like garbage too).

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I guess you guys are right. Still, it doesn't excuse poo poo like what Gerhy does.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

wayfinder posted:

Is it a deliberate act of disrespect that the h in his name keeps jumping around in your posts but never lands where it should?

No. I just keep forgetting how to spell his name.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Huh, the Taj Mahal looks really different from how I remember it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

You fuckers beat me to the Final Fantasy joke!

This building is neat, but way too overdone. If it were toned down just a little bit, it would actually look pretty good. Still better than most of the buildings in this thread.

Speaking of Manhattan, I read an article in NatGeo recently about how there are about 40 new skyscrapers planned or already being built. Nearly all of them are ugly. If they aren't the usual glass rectangle, they are some weird shape (also glass, never enough glass). Apparently people are complaining because the buildings on a street known as "billionaire row" are going to leave central park in perpetual darkness or something.

Anyone know more about that?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Jesus, it is worse than I thought!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

It looks great in the first picture, but not so much in the other ones.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

The architecture of the buildings in that gallery is excellent in my opinion, particularly on the exteriors. The inside is a bit too overwhelming, but I really like the shapes on the building's exteriors. The green building in particular looks very nice. Not my favorite kind of architecture, but it is far better than most "artsy" architecture.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Blistex posted:

I like big juts and I can not lie
You other realtors can't deny
That when a house goes up with a ton of wasted space
And a faux-dormer thing in your face
You get 25-percent down!

Not so much a failure as nouveau-bland design and colour taking over. (Guess what colour the entire interior is)

I've seen far worse. At least they tried to do something different. They failed, but they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

plz post about this :allears:

Seconding this.

blugu64 posted:

Even Okies don't want to live like ants all packed in and crawling all over each other.

I can agree on not wanting to be too packed together, but American suburbs are not a good answer to the problem, better city planning is. Sadly capitalism makes that very hard to do, if it is even possible.

• Locked thread