Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gender illusionist posted:

This thread owns ; that japanese classical column building is one of the funniest things I've seen. Just think how many people had to say
'yes good idea' before it was built.
From the way I've hard Japanese business culture described, it might not have been that many people. You're not really supposed to "rock the boat" by questioning the decisions of your seniors in many companies. (The reverence for old people can sorta be seen in how their CEOs are like a decade older on average than in the West.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Souvlaki ss posted:

Finally the national library of Argentina

It's like an oil rig had a baby with a Le Corbusier building.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

what was that brutalist highrise estate that kinda sorta collapsed in britain? like i dont think the whole thing toppled but some parts of it did
My mind goes to Ronan Point, though given post-war Britain's history with buildings I suppose there might be others.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Poland. Create fancy design to garner local support, skimp on construction. In this case, a local planetarium.

"What do you mean planetarium? I thought we were building a hardware store.."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

ok seriously what the gently caress is going on? Why have the British committed to ugly loving buildings?
I think they're trying to make themselves look good by comparison.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Souvlaki ss posted:

It looks super tacky to me. I hate it when architects try to pass colorful crap as innovation, especially in such an uninspired fashion
I can only imagine how it fits with the rest of the buildings in the area
Why assume they're trying to pretend its innovative? It's stained glass windows on a church.

Souvlaki ss posted:

I can only imagine how it fits with the rest of the buildings in the area
There are two large roads and a bunch of regular ugly Berlin buildings around it, it fits in perfectly well. Well, as much as any building fits in Berlin, a city lousy with clashing styles.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

Ok i shift my blame to the city planner.
Given what they're doing elsewhere in the city, this is entirely fair.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

THE_Chris posted:

FWIW, Regensburg was the only major German city that was pretty much untouched and is a really unique place as a result. I don't really know why it was spared but I don't think there was much there to bomb. There was one raid, but it wasn't a city center raid and although they lost one major church, the rest of the city is pretty much untouched and doesn't seem to have too much modern crap in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg
Maybe some high ranking military officer had gone there on his honeymoon? That's supposedly what saved Kyoto.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ruebennase posted:

And the running joke among Berlin's citizenship is that tearing down Berlin and rebuilding it next to a functioning airport might be cheaper and quicker than trying to repair BER.
Maybe they can build it a place that can actually support the Volkshalle then.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Holy lmao the Egyptian junta wants to build a new capital city out in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KdtShlwqA

Yeah that'll never happen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/egypt-to-build-a-potemkin-capital/387826/
The street layout presented in the video is not conducive to beating down demonstrators, locking down parts of a city, or just generally protecting against revolutions. Should take some inspiration from Haussmann's renovation of Paris.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

netally posted:

Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the bridge would also somehow have a (really low) limit to how many people would even be allowed to be on it at any one time too.* Tourists might not love it so much if they have to wait in line to walk across it.

*I assume this is some anti-poor/youth initiative.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

And shrunk the field size making it ineligible to be the main Olympic Stadium which added a wrinkle to their Olympic bid as they had to build another big-rear end stadium and totally hosed up their pitch for it. "We can build it on the cheap!" is not how you appeal to megalomaniacs who want bribes.
"We can build it on the cheap and pass the savings on to you!" might be though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Land of the Reflected Sun.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Accretionist posted:

It's part of the state university in Pittsburgh and was built in the 30s for $10m, or, in 2015 dollars, ~$130m. If I ever win a very large lottery, America's getting another one.
Not to dash your dreams, but simply adjusting for inflation probably doesn't work. Back then manhours were cheap and materials expensive, and now it's the other way around. Something like that would end up really loving expensive, even if you went the cheap imitation route. Maybe it'd be cheaper to buy your own private island, then have cheap Indian labor build it. It worked for the British.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It'd look a bit better if the top didn't extend out quite as far over the bottom, yeah, but it's pretty decent.
The top being ever so slightly wider than the bottom is the best part. Makes it look more precarious, like it has been perfectly balanced on top of a pedestal and any disturbance could see it crashing down.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

The sole function of a footbridge is for people to walk across it. This guy designed a footbridge that people can't walk across. That's as utterly failed as architecture can get, that's right up there a house that falls down when you open the front door.
The Spanish are notorious for their regionalism. Could be the Valencian Calatrava was deliberately trying to cripple the darn Bilbaines.

quantumavenger posted:

Literally too important to bother with details. Being an engineer on one of his buildings must be soul-destroying.
I'm sure Calatrava doesn't mind.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

That may not be architecture, but that image is slick as gently caress.
Suddenly I am curious as to what would happen if Gehry tried to design a van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

RE: Concrete, a colleague who used to be a civil engineer was saying that part of the reason that loads of tower blocks built in the 60s and 70s in the UK are being demolished is that (in addition to being terrible fire hazards) the concrete slabs were pre fabs that were layed next to each other with the steel rebar sticking out then joined on site by pouring concrete into the gap between slabs. Great in theory as you get one continuous slab without having to form in place but apparently the gaps were used as dumps for whatever rubbish the builders had lying around they couldn't be bothered to take down x levels so the joints aren't contiguous and are filled with coke cans and shite .

Next time I see my friend thats a structural engineer now I'm going to tell him this and it'll probably give him nightmares.
The fact that they were built in the 60's and 70's and are being demolished now means they might actually be the some of the more successful examples of their type, given the fatal gently caress-ups British contractors managed to pull off back then.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Quick one since I sort of touched on it earlier, but Chinese contractors vs. American ones.

Now, I'm not all :patriot: and poo poo and saying that US contractors are the best or anything, but they're super high up there compared to the rest of the world in that you can give them very tight tolerances on things and most of the time they will be well within those tolerances.
I mean, American contractors might on average be pretty loving great, but proving you're better than China is not really evidence of much. How do American contractors compare to their Northern European counterparts?

• Locked thread