Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Well, for one they aren't organized by the authors of the church, or even by the church itself, so it's weird to blame the architect or anybody else besides the city council for them. Second, churches are the default place for markets. Third, they are popular and traditional, if tacky.

Ok i shift my blame to the city planner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NihilismNow posted:

Ok i shift my blame to the city planner.
Given what they're doing elsewhere in the city, this is entirely fair.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

wayfinder posted:

^^ I think he meant getting as in purchasing

Ah, gotcha.

In my defense, I had to explain it to a friend i showed it to.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Having driven past this temple countless times, I can't help but think maybe they could have picked a better spot to build it, rather than sidled up to the highway surrounded by factories and shipping centres

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
This is Zaha Hadid fire station in Basel. Specifically, the dining table.

First of all, it is made of stainless steel, which means it feels uncomfortably cold, but that's not the worst... No, see, there is nothing under the sheetmetal, so it acts like a gigantic drum and fills the room with noise whenever you touch it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Spatule posted:

This is Zaha Hadid fire station in Basel. Specifically, the dining table.

First of all, it is made of stainless steel, which means it feels uncomfortably cold, but that's not the worst... No, see, there is nothing under the sheetmetal, so it acts like a gigantic drum and fills the room with noise whenever you touch it.

Is that the fire station that can't be used as a fire station because hadid is such a lovely architect?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

steinrokkan posted:

If there's something to hate in Prague, it must be first and foremost the New Scene of the National Theatre.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, that's an awesome old building!

quote:

The old theatre building is a nice, ornamental building at a very prominent location. What's right next to it, obscuring it's view from one side and overshadowing it?

Oh. Nevermind.

Yeah, that's just terrible.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is that the fire station that can't be used as a fire station because hadid is such a lovely architect?

Yes, that's the one where firetrucks can't fit or something. She's such a nice person, but what a hack.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"We're so sorry, you see we meant to bomb this other civilian target".

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Blistex posted:

"We're so sorry, you see we meant to bomb this other civilian target".

"The Americans have voiced their regret many times"

In fairness, this is more than can be said about our (the UK) official stance on what we did to Dresden. I believe David Cameron just the other week reiterated that 'it was war, it was the right thing to do to brutally kill innocence people in the night'

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

KiteAuraan posted:

Why are so many of these "sustainable" houses built in deserts with limited groundwater and no good arable soils? That is the direct opposite of sustainable.

ehhhnnnn, not really. living a first-world lifestyle anywhere at all on this planet earth is gonna be de-facto "unsustainable", the thing is reducing impact as much as possible. earthships in particular (what most of those are) are designed to work well in deserts- they integrate greenhouses into the design (the glass frontage is usually filled with planters for food crops), use cisterns to catch rain and divert waste greywater that isn't from the toilet directly back into the planters, and use passive heating/cooling to stay comfortable without AC, along with using garbage and local cheap/appropriate building materials like adobe for construction.
so its not net zero impact but it's a hell of a lot better than any conventional dwelling built in the desert, and yeah, the tradeoff is very cheap land and relaxed building code

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Kavak posted:

How did Prague get so lucky and keep so many of its old building during WWII?

FWIW, Regensburg was the only major German city that was pretty much untouched and is a really unique place as a result. I don't really know why it was spared but I don't think there was much there to bomb. There was one raid, but it wasn't a city center raid and although they lost one major church, the rest of the city is pretty much untouched and doesn't seem to have too much modern crap in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THE_Chris posted:

FWIW, Regensburg was the only major German city that was pretty much untouched and is a really unique place as a result. I don't really know why it was spared but I don't think there was much there to bomb. There was one raid, but it wasn't a city center raid and although they lost one major church, the rest of the city is pretty much untouched and doesn't seem to have too much modern crap in it.

Maybe some high ranking military officer had gone there on his honeymoon? That's supposedly what saved Kyoto.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Pfffft.

Corek posted:

Michael Graves was several years younger than Frank Gehry. He also made a teapot that looked like Hitler for JCPenney.

You call that a Hitler teapot?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

lDDQD posted:

Pfffft.

You call that a Hitler teapot?

I would pay to have a box printed out that said Zyklon Tea to place next to it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ehhhnnnn, not really. living a first-world lifestyle anywhere at all on this planet earth is gonna be de-facto "unsustainable", the thing is reducing impact as much as possible. earthships in particular (what most of those are) are designed to work well in deserts- they integrate greenhouses into the design (the glass frontage is usually filled with planters for food crops), use cisterns to catch rain and divert waste greywater that isn't from the toilet directly back into the planters, and use passive heating/cooling to stay comfortable without AC, along with using garbage and local cheap/appropriate building materials like adobe for construction.
so its not net zero impact but it's a hell of a lot better than any conventional dwelling built in the desert, and yeah, the tradeoff is very cheap land and relaxed building code

This is pretty much it, when it comes to desert living.

Some people also have wells that access the water table (if you're lucky) and other people rig up elaborate condensation catching setups that can collect a lot of fresh water due to the day/night temperature changes. You're not going to be having hour longs showers or watering an acre of crops, but you can get by comfortably if you ration a little.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

steinrokkan posted:

Those aren't log cabins, those are market stalls.

Kurfürstendamm serves as a marketplace.

A seasonal Christmas market next to a Christian church doesn't sound entirely unusual.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sappo569 posted:

Having driven past this temple countless times, I can't help but think maybe they could have picked a better spot to build it, rather than sidled up to the highway surrounded by factories and shipping centres

that the one in liburn ga?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

joat mon posted:

A seasonal Christmas market next to a Christian church doesn't sound entirely unusual.

I agree, but some people don't like them. :shrug:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

that the one in liburn ga?

Google says Toronto.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Insert pretty much any mormon temple.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

THE_Chris posted:

is this really a major city i've never heard of it

least original name ever

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

is this really a major city i've never heard of it

least original name ever

140k is not a major city. So no.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Demonachizer posted:

that one from starship troopers

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

140k is not a major city. So no.

Major for Bavaria maybe. I also recommend visiting Regensburg. Really pleasant and beautiful on a mild summer day.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Sappo569 posted:

Something about the angles on this one, way the road off to the right is curving, makes it look like it's inside of an O'Neill space colony. It's really disorienting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

steinrokkan posted:

I agree, but some people don't like them. :shrug:

That some people don't enjoy foot long bratwurst, cheeses out the arse, sweets galore, tankards of great beer and lovely Christmas knick knacks is terrible. I don't think I've bought anything other than food and drink from a market like this. I did go on the carousel though, that poo poo was great.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Surprised at the lack of Edmonton in this thread

our Provincial Law Courts

downtown library

Then we slapped some poo poo on one side to hide the brutalism

"Wow, the nice thing about this city is the amazing river valley, I think I'll build a nice million dollar house right at the edge of it..."

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
my city just allowed a bunch of mcmansions to be built up on a ridge just like that, i cannot wait until nature takes its course

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Welcome to Belgium. We do beer, and fries, and chocolate quite well.
Architecture though ? Not so much: http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/

Mix and match !

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

One of the most bizarre places I've ever visited. It's like they got some nerd in the 70s to design a secure building except he was obsessed with barbarella. This is SYGDC in Barnsley (what a loving shithole).

That huge tube on the left of the picture is a covered walkway leading into the building entrance. I presume they designed it like that so you can't drive a truck bomb into the the front door easily.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NihilismNow posted:

My point exactly. Those kinds of markets are one of the most tacky things on the planet and a sure sign of poor taste.
I don't see how it is remotely ok to place one of those things next to a church.

Don't let all the stall-lovers ITT get you down. Jesus agrees with you.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

It eventually got torn down

Unrelated but ugly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy lmao the Egyptian junta wants to build a new capital city out in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KdtShlwqA

Yeah that'll never happen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/egypt-to-build-a-potemkin-capital/387826/

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
Here's some pictures from my university. Nothing's really horrendous, but some days all the buildings just piss me off because none of the ones I spend time in have any natural light.

The math building. I spend most of my time here. Notice that there are almost no windows on the first 4 floors. The upper floors are offices.

This is what it looks like on the inside.

Computer Science building. Actually does have natural light, but I just find it so ugly.

This building is called Psychology, Anthropology, and Sociology. As far as I can tell this building has no windows.

One of the two libraries on campus. The other one is in the CS building above. Looks oddly similar to the library neckbeard posted above. There's actually a moat around this thing which is never filled with water. Makes it really annoying to get into/around it.

The oldest building on campus.

Megafonzie fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 16, 2015

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
That bridge has a slant on it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Demonachizer posted:

I kind of like this because it seems like something out of a movie about a fascist theocracy. It's located adjacent to the capital beltway in Maryland, and the parts of it that poke above the treetops give the impression that you've suddenly arrived at Disneyland.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Spakstik posted:

I kind of like this because it seems like something out of a movie about a fascist theocracy. It's located adjacent to the capital beltway in Maryland, and the parts of it that poke above the treetops give the impression that you've suddenly arrived at Disneyland.

Is the "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti still on that overpass?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

When I was a kid, I thought the Oakland temple was Disney-related for the longest time. To be fair, I only saw it from 580.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

gleebster posted:

Is the "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti still on that overpass?

It might not be. I don't think I've ever seen it.

• Locked thread