Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Plymouth Civic Centre

This pre-fab concrete and asbestos hulk held together by damp was started in 1959 as the new centre for the local council. Many such buildings popped up in the UK at around the same time, but other cities had the right mind to demolish their eyesores over the years, but not Plymouth. It turns out that this ugly monstrosity is the last building of it's type in the UK, and as such, was given English Heritage grade 2 listed protection in 2007 - at about the time the Council was planning on demolishing it.

The council moved out of the building last year, as it was literally falling down and needing £40m of renovations. The building was sold or leased to Urban Splash recently, and I believe they are planning on turning the building into apartments or a hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I checked out the new(ish) staircase at the Grade 1 listed Royal William Naval Yard in Plymouth the other day, thinking that I'd hate it. I ended up really liking it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

An exceptional re-working of a 1936 grade II listed gamekeeper's cottage (by William Curtis Green, architect of the Dorchester Hotel foyer) with Arts and Crafts stylistic elements blended with a contemporary modernist extension (by Plymouth based Architects Form Design).

Keepers Cottage has been comprehensively updated whilst preserving its period integrity. The house's current owners have added a spectacular and dynamic ground floor floating glass extension as the main living space, inspired by the innovative architectural style of John Poulson.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49818115.html

e: forgot to add I hate every bit of the extension.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sadly a shoop

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

joat mon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshMwU2-HCM
An explanation, or a yet more elaborate prank.

I stand corrected. :stare:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 8, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I just looked up Cumbernauld Town Centre: holy poo poo.

Same.

:aaa: It makes the Plymouth Civic Centre look almost tame in comparison.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chinatown posted:

this is really good hth

What about this?

e: NVM.. That has to be a shoop

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chinatown posted:

its very good if it exists hth

I managed to trace the image back to this: http://www.designboom.com/art/impossible-architecture-by-filip-dujardin/

I really like some of his pieces.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

Green roofs are not an architechtual failure (unless they are poorly designed)

A new office building near me has green walls.
There should be more green walls in this world.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 11, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beasteh posted:

Plymouth? This is Plymouth right. Another Plymgoon???

Yup, for my sins.

quote:

Behold, the drab monstrosity that is our civic centre :barf:

Don't you mean our Grade II listed national treasure, to be preserved for future generations to love and cherish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Osaka Stadium

• Locked thread