Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chinatown posted:

its very good if it exists hth

I managed to trace the image back to this: http://www.designboom.com/art/impossible-architecture-by-filip-dujardin/

I really like some of his pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
so let's talk about college campuses and how they don't seem to demo old buildings when they decide to put up new ones. you may be familiar with UMass Dartmouth and its "666" benches and awful concrete stairways, but let's talk about Amherst division:

there's a nice library. it's tall. so tall in fact, that it's the second tallest school library in the world. it looks real nice lit up from the inside at night.

are you hungry? did you want a waffle maybe?

or how about the fine arts center, which acts as the university's de facto main entrance? the sight lines from the shown angle are nice but from the front it is a hideous blocky mess

and so in their infinite wisdom they decided that they'd put a new building in right in the center of the campus. right next to all these concrete wonders. what does it look like?

It looks like bizarro garbage. The poo poo windows reflect most sunlight in the summer making it blinding to walk down the path that brings you elsewhere and what the gently caress is with that grass on the roof? You can't access it and there are no windows with which to see the grass roof. I guess they just wanted to gently caress over the maintainers.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

13 year old girls posted:

It looks like bizarro garbage. The poo poo windows reflect most sunlight in the summer making it blinding to walk down the path that brings you elsewhere and what the gently caress is with that grass on the roof? You can't access it and there are no windows with which to see the grass roof. I guess they just wanted to gently caress over the maintainers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_roof It's supposed to be environmentally friendly and if the windows are reflective as hell, then it might have a special coating designed to reflect sunlight and lower energy usage for cooling.

More likely they're getting a tax abatement on it, like what NYC has: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/green_roof_tax_abatement_info.pdf

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Since it's Hadid bets on what happens first: A) it's not designed for planes to be able to fit around it or B) it falls apart

My prediction? Yes.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

so let's talk about college campuses and how they don't seem to demo old buildings when they decide to put up new ones. you may be familiar with UMass Dartmouth and its "666" benches and awful concrete stairways, but let's talk about Amherst division:

there's a nice library. it's tall. so tall in fact, that it's the second tallest school library in the world. it looks real nice lit up from the inside at night.

are you hungry? did you want a waffle maybe?

or how about the fine arts center, which acts as the university's de facto main entrance? the sight lines from the shown angle are nice but from the front it is a hideous blocky mess

and so in their infinite wisdom they decided that they'd put a new building in right in the center of the campus. right next to all these concrete wonders. what does it look like?

i think those are all cool.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Green roofs are not an architechtual failure (unless they are poorly designed)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
The biggest problem with college campuses is that they have architecture schools.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The biggest problem with college campuses is that they’re pitching to eighteen‐year‐olds. Eighteen‐year‐olds don’t have good taste in architecture.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

A new office building near me has green walls.
There should be more green walls in this world.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 11, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

so let's talk about college campuses and how they don't seem to demo old buildings when they decide to put up new ones.

lived in this my freshman year. the elevators were terrifyingly bad.

that said, brutalism owns and it was a hilariously fun time living in that tower. i typed many lovely papers in the top skybridge.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

It's a beaver that got run over with a steamroller.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

One of my regular watering holes has a huge living wall behind the bar. It's awesome and I'd want one at home if it wasn't for the fact that any plant I buy dies within a few months. :v:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ego-bot posted:

It's a beaver platypus that got run over with a steamroller.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

The Skeleton King posted:

My junior high had 12 buildings. They were all a bunch of brick octagons with no windows. My elementary school was also a brick monolith with no windows. My high school was multiple brick monoliths with no windows.

If you like windows in your school, don't live in Mesa, AZ. Or any of the other cities in Maricopa county.

Holy poo poo I thank my lucky stars my elementary school was the cutest ever:

I can still hear the floors creak; the janitor would tune up our bikes during class.:3:
Bullying can happen anywhere, but it could only be worse in a brutalist setting.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

`Nemesis posted:

gently caress you they should have spent more money on the athletics program obviously

Chinatown posted:

lived in this my freshman year. the elevators were terrifyingly bad.

that said, brutalism owns and it was a hilariously fun time living in that tower. i typed many lovely papers in the top skybridge.

unless you're a peregrine falcon, you definitely didn't live in that building. maybe one of these?

unless you meant metaphorically lived there because you did so much schoolwork, in which case lol nerd

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 11, 2015

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I went to an elementary school that was also "open concept" when it was built in the 70s. I don't know how long it took, but eventually someone thought "wow this was an awful idea" and broke up the space into regular classrooms. Instead of building actual walls, though, they just used those movable temporary walls. It worked well enough, though it meant that the classrooms didn't have doors and sound traveled from one room to another very well. But, ah,

It was also a little short on windows. I can't find a better picture. That photo looks super old, but apparently it's from 1996, which means I was there! It never struck me that most classrooms either had no windows or just a tiny window in a corner until I went to middle school and there were actually plenty of windows! Sunlight is so awesome! :buddy:

We did have a large activity room in the center of the building, which is where plays were put on, grade-wide assemblies were held, etc. That one had real walls and doors all around. It had brown carpet, low ceilings, and for some reason was always incredibly hot. Maybe the thermostats weren't equipped to deal with rooms that could actually be closed up all the way?? Even as kids, we all noticed that it had a weird oppressive feeling to it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I'm going for flattened roadkill squirrel.

It's like an ink blot painting. Everyone sees something different.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good god at your insane elementary schools.

Here in Australia there's a really common primary school architecture style that like three-quarters of government primary schools will have. They all basically look like variations on this:

(last one was mine)

That said, sadly nowadays they tend to build something modern in style instead. Pity, it's nice to have a consistency and I like the quaint look. But yeah, nobody ever did anything crazy hosed up like those concrete bunkers.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

unless you're a peregrine falcon, you definitely didn't live in that building. maybe one of these?

unless you meant metaphorically lived there because you did so much schoolwork, in which case lol nerd

I'm on mobile, but he means the buildings that he posted. That's the Williams Village complex at CU Boulder, and it is definitely student housing. And crappy.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

shelley posted:

I'm on mobile, but he means the buildings that he posted. That's the Williams Village complex at CU Boulder, and it is definitely student housing. And crappy.

haha whoops i totally didn't get that. thought he was replying to my picture the way the quote was

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
To continue school chat, my high school was never going to win any design awards, but in the 70s or 80s, the replaced all the windows with translucent plastic, leaving only small corner window that you could open up for fresh/cool air. Apparently it was to stop students from getting distracted from looking out the windows.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Gold and a Pager posted:

To continue school chat, my high school was never going to win any design awards, but in the 70s or 80s, the replaced all the windows with translucent plastic, leaving only small corner window that you could open up for fresh/cool air. Apparently it was to stop students from getting distracted from looking out the windows.

That's ... impressively dystopian.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MikeJF posted:

Good god at your insane elementary schools.

Here in Australia there's a really common primary school architecture style that like three-quarters of government primary schools will have. They all basically look like variations on this:

That's taken from the traditional UK municipal school style. There are several Victorian era schools surviving (and still in use) where I live that look exactly like those.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

fuctifino posted:

Plymouth? This is Plymouth right. Another Plymgoon???

Behold, the drab monstrosity that is our civic centre :barf:

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's taken from the traditional UK municipal school style. There are several Victorian era schools surviving (and still in use) where I live that look exactly like those.

Meanwhile in inner-city London many authorities have sold these schools off to big property developers who gut them and make use of the overly-high ceilings to install a split-level bedsit in each classroom, with security cameras and electronic gates on the courtyard entrance. They've still got the stone-carved 'boys' and 'girls' lintels over the main entrances because it looks ~so quaint~

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beasteh posted:

Plymouth? This is Plymouth right. Another Plymgoon???

Yup, for my sins.

quote:

Behold, the drab monstrosity that is our civic centre :barf:

Don't you mean our Grade II listed national treasure, to be preserved for future generations to love and cherish?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Googie architecture was pretty fuckin' fun too.

Loz Feliz right (unless you didn't take this). I love coming across random googie stuff in socal

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

Loz Feliz right (unless you didn't take this). I love coming across random googie stuff in socal

I didn't take it, just found it after a google image search for Googie. Growing up in LA in the '90s you saw this stuff all over the drat place, in various states of repair. The area between LA and Vegas is a desert filled with Googie bones, too.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

That is quite satisfactory.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"I'm not mowing that."

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Gold and a Pager posted:

Wow. I am impressed. I thought that was a wall!

What the hell is with people building terrible schools?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I want to know what the sound of it falling off was. Peeling velcro?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dienes posted:

I want to know what the sound of it falling off was. Peeling velcro?

I've had to tear some vines off a building before, and rustling leaves basically covered up the sound. Infestation wasn't as severe as that one, though.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

"I'm not mowing that."

Man all that stuff would act as a nice insulator, right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Man all that stuff would act as a nice insulator, right?

I'm not really knowledgeable on electrics.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Veib posted:

Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car.

I appreciate this.

Also High School chat, you guys had windows? Like you can see out of? And doors? Lucky ducks. My school is so bad there's not even pictures of it on the internet. They recently rebuilt it, doubling its size and adding a large wall of windows - for the administration. Kids still have to sit in the windowless, doorless rooms.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ah, good ol' southwest with its slow as gently caress elevators and z-shaped rooms

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Howard Beale posted:

ah, good ol' southwest with its slow as gently caress elevators and z-shaped rooms

Z shaped rooms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao windowless doorless classrooms

• Locked thread