Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

From OCAD in Toronto here is this ugly piece of poo poo

Unilever stole this idea for their HQ but made it pretty

Weird building are kind of their thing

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Libelous Slander posted:

let me just lay this skyscraper sideways above your property. hope you don't mind!

It's their own factory/ R&D facility though.

Management is literally elevated over the workers.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

kith_groupie posted:

Bonus-if you want to go to the center of Utrecht, which is very nice and intact from the 17th century with a very unique canal system, you have to travel through the worlds most claustrophobic mall to get there from the central station

They tore down a few centuries old neighbourhood to build that lovely mall and trainstation.
They were going to replace the entire 17th century city center with buildings like this :

That is one of the buildings that did get built, right on one side of one of the most pretty squares in the city.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Kavak posted:

What the poo poo is this? Did the EU Parliament mandate that a certain amount of each member's building contracts be given to their most stoned architects?

Cube houses. Basically cubes set on their sides on concrete stilts on a raised street above one of the main roads through the city center.

The effect is supposed to be a forrest of houses ( think the name of the raised street they are on is also something-something-forest).

Due to being a cube on its side they have pretty much no straight walls inside and it is really hard to use the space efficiently. They are actually suprisingly cheap to own (€170-200k) for a house right in the middle of the center next to a train station and the library.

As mentioned Rotterdam is full of this stuff. They just let architects do whatever for the past 70 years so it really is a time capsule of architectural styles that were hip/popular once. Honestly i like the effect and recently there have been some fairly pretty buildings built (Red Apple, MarktHal, De Rotterdam).

See this is across from the cube houses, so they really do fit in their environment of random-rear end-architectural-stuff.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 21, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

Also, unbuilt Nazi buildings that would have collapsed if they tried to build.

I thought the Volkshalle wouldn't so much collapse as sink into a swamp?
They built a concrete block to test if the ground could hold the building, after a few years it turned out it couldn't but Hitler said build it anyway. By then of course their resources were limited to making maquettes and Speer was too busy with the whole "keeping war production going" thing.

It also would have a internal weather system, the water vapour from the 50 000 people in the main hall breathing and sweating condensates on top of the dome and rains back down on the assembled volk of Germania.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Musluk posted:

Ankara Courthouse:

I loving hate this building and everyone in it.

Can't find an inside photo but it's the most soul crushing, oppressive thing ever.

I think this building is brilliant because it communicates exactly what the people inside want it to communicate.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
That escalator with the blue lights gives the distinct impression you are entering a Saturn shop to buy some discount consumer electronics.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Blistex posted:

What is it about absolutely horrible bus stations attached to Malls? The Yorkdale Mall bus station in Toronto has spend 80% of the last 20 years under construction, and it is still a grimy (straight out of the 70's) style station. Bathrooms, benches, ticket booth, lockers, maybe a few bullitin boards and a flatscreen or two on the walls, naturally some vending machines with hilariously overpriced wares. . . and if you're feeling creative have a sandwich/coffee shop with some free wifi as well.

The worst kind of public transportation attached to the worst kind of retail building in existence. Doesn't exactly attract the best clientele.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Galaxy class has much nicer amenities though.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

A few years ago, during the height of the real estate bubble in Spain, architects in the city of Benidorm had the glorious idea to expand the original blueprints of a new scyscraper from 20 to 47 stories. Except they forgot to include an elevator for the additional 27 stories. :spain:

I read about this but i still don't know how such a thing can happen. Isn't the elevator shaft a fairly important structural part of the building in most buildings? Even if you just copy pasted floor 15 a bunch of times to get to 47 you would think the elevator shaft would still be there.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Souvlaki ss posted:

It looks super tacky to me. I hate it when architects try to pass colorful crap as innovation, especially in such an uninspired fashion
I can only imagine how it fits with the rest of the buildings in the area

Tacky is the word. Look at those faux log cabins that sells cheap crap attached to the church. It says "we don't give a gently caress about style".

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Those aren't log cabins, those are market stalls.

Kurfürstendamm serves as a marketplace.

My point exactly. Those kinds of markets are one of the most tacky things on the planet and a sure sign of poor taste.
I don't see how it is remotely ok to place one of those things next to a church.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Well, for one they aren't organized by the authors of the church, or even by the church itself, so it's weird to blame the architect or anybody else besides the city council for them. Second, churches are the default place for markets. Third, they are popular and traditional, if tacky.

Ok i shift my blame to the city planner.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

is this really a major city i've never heard of it

least original name ever

140k is not a major city. So no.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
In all fairness probably no architect was involved in any of those Belgian houses.
Belgians tend to Grover their own houses so we are lucky if a design engineer was consulted.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Solus posted:

Don't mind me. Just trying to find a place to Rent.

It is pretty run down but not that bad. You have your hot and cold running water, bed and even a little desk. Probably 70% of the world lives in worse places.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Default Settings posted:

Vienna is a very scenic city.

Flackturms are awesome. Not like Vienna had a choice anyway, thing is way to sturdy to demolish for a reasonable cost.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

From the same city, the new public health building which houses -- among other things -- mental health services for young people is an imposing colossus covered entirely in copper. Yes, copper.

Copper roofs and siding are not that unusual are they? Just needs a few years to develop a nice green patina.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DNova posted:

I can't think of any examples of copper siding other than the photo that was posted. Copper roofs are rare but not unusual.

Have another example

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

How about aluminum?

Are you sure it is aluminium? I know a couple of buildings that have titanium siding (appearently the real estate developers had just way too much money).

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

anchoress posted:

when thom mayne says that a/c and a bike rack get you "the same point", he's talking about LEED points, which are tallied up for your eventual LEED classification. putting in a bike rack is a cheap and easy way of scoring LEED points, even if your building is impossible to commute to via bike. that's one of several problems with the LEED system and i can see where mayne is coming from talking about letting the professional community find solutions for hitting hard targets like BTU etc. on the other hand the building in question is pretty fail

Making thousands of people uncomfortable for a significant part of their life and costing the government millions per year in lost productivity sounds like a great way to make a point about industry standards.
If the market for office buildings in SF is anything like it is here in a few years people are going to realise that making all your employees uncomfortable is a terrible strategy and the building will be torn down because retrofitting actual climate control will be more expensive than a new building. Causing much CO2 release in the process.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Spatule posted:

Yeah, already posted this some time ago, but it bears repeating: this whole "brick in the stomach" bullshit is litterally destroying the country.

What is so terrible about it? Those houses look nicer than most houses here. Less cramped, most have a garage even.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

That might be so, but I can 100% guarantee you that every Intel chip plant is designed and fully laid out in feet and inches, including all the piping/conduits/ducts going to all the tools.

Take that metric system!

This is the cause for the bad yield on the 5.5 x 10-7 inch node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Having insulation in 1937 is special in itself. As far as i know no houses had insulation before 1973 (oil crisis) here.
In 1937 your outer wall would have been a solid brick wall 1 brick (21cm) wide. If you were really fancy it might have been 2 10cm brick walls with a ~5cm air gap.

• Locked thread