Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

Dick Church, complete with flushing fire hydrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Is that a WWII era German 88mm Flak cannon?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I see all these flat surfaces on that thing, and not a single one seems accessible. That one you drew a line over looks big enough for a little park. Put up a few fences and you're set.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

steinrokkan posted:

If there's something to hate in Prague, it must be first and foremost the New Scene of the National Theatre.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, that's an awesome old building!

quote:

The old theatre building is a nice, ornamental building at a very prominent location. What's right next to it, obscuring it's view from one side and overshadowing it?

Oh. Nevermind.

Yeah, that's just terrible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From what I understand, they were right, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fly Molo posted:

Here's one, the Death Star. A concrete maze designed on purpose to be unnavigable, with no landmarks, maps, or consistent numbering system.

quote:

The building also interacts with the people who use it. It was supposedly designed on purpose to be confusing. Visitors are often forced to talk to someone to find out how to get to where they need to go. Doorways that you need to pass through will sometimes be locked, forcing you to find a new way. The doors that get locked rotate every so often, further confusing the situation. The idea was to force human interaction because it houses the social sciences.

We had an old building at uni which interconnected with half the other buildings in the science block. When they were doing renovations they decided to just lock the whole place up to stop students getting in the way. Thankfully we must have had a bunch of professional hoodlums at our campus because people made a point of going around every day and picking or forcing every single lock and door in the place.

STEM: gently caress human interaction.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I can't believe I'd forgotten about this one, a stunning Art Nuveau florist from the turn of the 19th century, Brussels.:

The photo was titled "Ancienne chemiserie Niguet (1896) – 13 rue Royale, Bruxelles (Belgique)." The shop is still there today, more than a hundred years later. And it's still a florist, run by Daniel Ost. Sadly, google street view went past on a day when the big metal shutter was down so you can't see it.

But doing a search for "brussels belgium 13 rue royale florist daniel ost" gives a bunch of modern day shots.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kakairo posted:

It works really well. My dad works at Lloyd's, so I've had a brief tour. With the exception of the open core (which houses a bell that historically rang whenever a ship sank), the floors are completely configurable since there's no infrastructure in the way. If the needs of the business change, all you have to do is a simple remodel. They can even move the central escalators if needed.

I have to say that I absolutely love the way this looks, but it also looks like it would be incredibly drafty and noisy for all the poor bastards near the central well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Accretionist posted:

Interior shot:

Any more interior shots, I love those ridiculously high ceilings :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Are they trying to stop armour piercing RPG attacks?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Feminition posted:

do people that design these things forget that people actually have to walk through them

Every time I see these dictator's wet dream megastructures I think how it would work for some poor bastard coming home after a long hard day at work with arms full of groceries.

Or even just the daily fifteen minute walk to get out of the place if you're one of the saps who lives right at the back. I hate it when I go to a hotel and have to walk through a bunch of featureless, identical corridors to get to my room. I couldn't live with doing that every day, except multiplied by a factor of ten.

That said, The Interlace looks like a genuinely interesting environment to live in. The monoliths are broken up and interspersed with greenery and water. You retain the most of high density but without feeling oppressed.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 6, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Don't bother him with details - he's an idea man!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If brutalism was just raw concrete, then why is it always done on buildings built on a "dominate and terrorise" style?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FRINGE posted:

"Brutalist buildings usually incorporate strong geometric angles and are generally made from pre-cast concrete elements that reveal the texture of the wooden forms used in casting."

Then where are all the brutalist birdbaths :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Balls of Damocles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dick Trauma posted:

It is. :3:

But so is this:

This thread needs more 60s and 70s poo poo.

Many years ago, someone made a thread about a copy of a 1968 edition of Better Homes and Gardens they had found and it had some stuff in it which was just sublime.

The most popular images was this:

Which even inspired a user to not only take it as his avatar, but to change his username to "HERE ARE THE loving TOWELS".

I prefer Castle Canda, aka Chateau Front&Back, to be perfectly honest:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Accretionist posted:

It'll be okay; just look at this:

The only good thing tubmlr ever did:

Image is link.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So very trendy, so very unsafe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The house with no railings where guests falls to their deaths is also known as the S-House* is in Chennai, India.

You can visit the website about the house here - and unlike visiting the house itself will be in no danger of falling to your death

Everyone should visit that link and see the house where you fall to your death in its natural habitat - wedged between lovely old Indian buildings, and adjacent to an unpaved dirt road.

This is what it looks like on the outside, because of course it does:

* Not actually short for "shithouse" surprisingly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 15, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LochNessMonster posted:

I can't help but wondering what his hallway (and star wars collection) will look like after a day of heavy rainfall.

I love looking at places which were just so obviously designed around, "Well it's warm and sunny now, it's not like that'll change any time soon"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Angela Christine posted:

That's why you bring staff. See their 'typical' design for your 2500 sq feet of tunnel.

10 bedrooms, 5 1/2 baths. Potentially space for 20 people. Except 3 of those bedrooms are master suites with a private bathroom and spacious sitting area. The other 7, potentially 14 people, are cramped boxes together sharing a total of 2 showers and 3 toilets. 10 bedrooms, but the dining table only seats 8 people. Home theater seats 8. Everyone in this set up is not remotely equal.

Those rich people had better drat well have the only access codes for the air and water or they're gonna get murdered after three weeks when all the staff realise how pointless it is to work for someone who's taking an unfair share and contributing nothing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Then they wonder, "Why don't kids like going to school? Don't they want to learn?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

-Zydeco- posted:

This showed up in the failed tech thread.

Okay, a lot of those are cool as hell. I wish more companies tried to turn box stores into something fun and interesting.

That said, I wonder how many smacked their head into the brickwork on this one:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

"And in high winds, excess citizens are conveniently swept off and fall to the ground below, fertilising the earth with their blood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

c.f. those horrible schools a few pages ago

"Hey Bob, those drat liberals say our panopticon prison is a gross violation of human rights, but we spent so much time on the design. What should we do with it?"

"I know, turn it into a school!"

• Locked thread