Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cubey posted:

also it's right next to the nys capitol, one of my favorite buildings ever. the plaza clashes with it so much, i can't even imagine what they were thinking. i will admit that the egg is pretty cool from the inside tho.

The NY capitol is the ugliest building on the mall and a total pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Behold, Rochester, NY. Featuring 3 of the strangest buildings in one picture you might ever see. Notice the black box of glass on stilts building in the foreground. Behind that, a flying saucer on top of a building, it used to be a restaurant and it used to rotate 360 degrees. Then off to the right there is a building which, while i was growing up I always thought looked like laser a cannon pointed towards space.

Close up of the laser cannon.

Those might be the three strangest buildings in all of Rochester NY!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seattle has objectively garbage public transit, people only take it because the city is also horrible for driving.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

88h88 posted:

I'm interested in knowing about these buses and poo poo because my city in the UK has about the same amount of people and there's a billion buses to everywhere running all day long from early morning to late at night. I've never been in a US city and used public transport, I've always had a car. LA seems like a nightmarish place to try and traverse if you don't own a car.

Getting around LA in public transit really isn't too bad. I had a car when I lived there but did all my commuting via transit and it was always clean, frequent, and on time. This was mainly around downtown and the east side for the record.

Edit: The best part of the LA highway map is east of downtown where the 5, 710, 10, 60, and 101 all mash together.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 20, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

drat NIGGA posted:

Bonus ugly building

1100 Wilshire was also converted into condos in 2007 and was super vacant for quite a while (dunno if it still is).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

Re: all the city planning talk.

Couldn't every problem with parking and cities and the uglyness and everything just be fixed with enough underground parking garages?

Are you going to charge an arm and a leg for parking or are you going to raid the whole general fund to build these?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Boner Slam posted:

nah gently caress this poo poo lets

uuughghghghghghghghghgh
Unironic huge improvement. Old one was gaudy and poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Besides the fact that it's now a torture palace that's a pretty sweet looking building.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a piece of public art in O'Hare that I really love: the installation in the tunnel between the B and C concourses. It not only has soothing lights, it has soothing music. I always feel happy for a few minutes when I make that transition.

Sadly, that art is still part of O'Hare, well known to be an outer circle of Hell. But I do wish more airports put thought into making inter-concourse travel calming and/or beautiful. Atlanta and your inter-terminal tram, I'm looking at you.

the moving walkway is coming to an end

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Goddamn brutalism is awful and soul crushing

Nice wrong opinion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bobatron posted:

Behold an Art Decco monstrosity.

It's hard to get an idea how big this place is.

J/K art decco is nice I just don't know why they couldn't carry the theme with the other buildings they added.

LA has all the best deco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

c.f. those horrible schools a few pages ago

Woo, straight up panopticon for learning.

• Locked thread