Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Sounds like being involved in law is garbage. No offense.

I like it, but I do mostly immigration, which is a weird niche practice. Mostly lawyers I know, and I know a lot of them, are miserable practicing law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Obdicut posted:

I said a high percentage of prosecutors as compared to defense attorneys, and I will bet that even in your state far more prosecutors become judges than defense attorneys do. It's possible that's the situation on your supreme court.

If we make the comparison even narrower: how many judges have a PD background, that's even rarer---I'm glad to say NY actually has a higher proportion than most other states, but it is still mostly in favor of the DAs.

DA offices are widely recognized as feeders to the political arena, full of ambitious young gunner* attorneys. PDs have, in the past, been more idealistic and public-service minded, usually winding up in private practice.

*I hated law-school gunners.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Useful Distraction posted:

Because judges are better at applying the law, as they have an education in it. (unless, as I now realize, they don't need one in the US, in which case you need to get on that as well I guess)

Judges do apply law in a jury system. Juries are there to determine issues of fact, not law.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Useful Distraction posted:

Oh you. The context of that post was whether jury trials are necessary.

Juries by themselves are bad because they allow laypeople to decide on the result of court proceedings, as opposed to trained professionals. Exclusively having judges decide verdicts might increase conviction rates, but I don't consider that a bad thing as long as the results are consistent, predictable and in line with established law. Of course in my ideal world I'd also make all sorts of other changes to the law, like abolishing plea bargains, ending the war on drugs, getting rid of elected judges...and I'm just some random SA poster so it's not like my suggestions are likely to be put into practice. But ultimately, I don't think juries are necessary or conducive to justice.

You still don't grasp the distinction between issues of law and issues of fact, do you?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
In my experience, there is a significant number of LE officers who could be better described as general misanthropes than racists. Sure, they abuse minorities, but that's because they abuse everyone in the general public.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
A few years ago, I got roughed up and thrown in jail overnight by city police, after I stepped in while they harassed one of my clients in public. They didn't even bother to write a complaint - I spent twelve hours in jail just because they could gently caress with me that way.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

captainblastum posted:

Just to reiterate - this is not true. Every level of every part of our judicial system has a demonstrable, undeniable, and significant bias against minorities. Every facet of the system is racist.

You don't need to overegg the custard.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

Which of those specific facts are incorrect? And your standard for racism is, what? What would say to you that racism was a motivating factor in a stop or arrest? Does the cop literally need to use a racial slur, or announce "I'm arresting you because you're black"?

Your entire argument is that we should give all police officers the benefit of the doubt, when they've done nothing as an institution to earn it.

If you are asserting that someone acts in racism, the burden is yours to support that claim.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

Case closed, this thread is pointless, pointing out police abuse in videos online serves no purpose.

Police abuse exists and is a problem. So does police racism. Stop trivializing the problem by making frivolous accusations. You do no one any favors by shrieking racism automatically at every fact pattern involving white cop/black citizen.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

It's so frivolous, a thread showcasing police racism and abuse and there's still a single video to be posted that exemplifies the problem. I guess we just have to keep searching, one day Dead Reckoning and his ilk will find the one video that proves there's a problem. Until then, nothing to see here.

How old are you? Seriously.

Public opinion is coming around to recognize the police problem we have. You do nothing to further that by acting like a shrill hyperspastic tween.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Shukaro posted:

why don't you just get back in the kitchen and leave the lawyerizing to the menfolk, wifey :boom:

I think the lawyers need to leave the lawyerizing to gutfeelers, because racism.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

I see. It's ok to be a misogynist as long as your target is on "the other side."

The terms have a long term association with invalidating women. "Too sensitive" in particular is often used to silence ANY minority.

I think we can all agree if someone used the term "uppity" we could infer a racial bias, no?

The unconscious sexism and absurd hypervigilance to racism are a curious juxtaposition, aren't they? See something similar in my custom title, with homophobia and patronizing solicitude toward fetish groups existing side by side.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Can you agree that it's reasonable to infer bigotry when someone is treating a black woman just like a bigot would?

What are the indicia of bigotry here? I would agree that it's reasonable to infer a power-tripping cop here, but how to you make the leap to bigot? I don't automatically assume bigotry in every confrontation between white and black. What makes you think the cop isn't a dick to all civilians in similar situations? I'm a white, professional-looking guy, and cops are often rude to me. A lot of cops tend to be that way.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but the racism deniers will just say we can never know why he pulled that uturn behind her, unless he has said he was going to pull her over just cuz?

I don't assume bigotry in every confrontation, but when a white cop in a state with a huge problem of racism that still has sundown towns like Vidor starts ordering a black woman around for no reason other than to exercise power over her than it's a reasonable inference. Maybe he hates all people equally, if you've got some countervailing evidence I will revise my opinion.

If I produced evidence to rebut your assumption of racism, it wouldn't be countervailing, as you have produced no evidence of racism to begin with. "Racism" is a noxious state of mind. If you dilute the meaning of the word to "a non-optimal outcome involving a black person," you trivialize what is a very real problem.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

No that wasn't what I was saying. I was saying the people who were determined not to see racism even in a white cop from a department with a history of racism in a southern state with a problem of racism giving a black woman who wasn't obsequiousness enough pointless and harassing orders and threatening to tase and arrest her for smoking when he didn't want her to...probably isn't going to agree with WJ's suggestion that he intended to pull her over before she failed to signal.

Idk, maybe read and think a bit or something before you mash post?

Skepticism about unsupported inferences is not determination not to see something. You need to work on your argument if you ever want to convince people who aren't predisposed to buy what you're selling.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

C'mon man, I'm on your side of this fight but you aren't doing yourself any favours. You're making the cardinal sin of trying to use statistics to fit your argument instead of fitting your argument to the statistics.

That's just it. I'm someone convinced that law-enforcement culture in the US is seriously screwed up, and that police racism is a huge issue. Sometimes people point out the fallacies in an argument because they don't want to see their case trivialized. I'm happy if racists make lovely arguments, because a bad argument undermines a position.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

You guys are loving stupid. You're afraid that calling out a racist is going to trivialize the case against racism? Show me one video in this thread that exemplifies racism that doesn't have the cop yelling "friend of the family" or explicitly expressing hatred for other races. It's called denial, you see it every loving day but you have to justify it to yourself, you can't see racism because you don't want to.

This, mere minutes after I posted:

quote:

I'm someone convinced that [ ... ] police racism is a huge issue.

You aren't worth taking seriously.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

All the lawyers and cops in this thread just happen to agree with him, it's weird that a troll has so much support, no?

Lawyers enjoy deconstructing lovely arguments laden with logical fallacies. Would it be better if everyone reached consensus on the raging controversy over whether racism is bad, and then congratulate themselves for arriving at agreement? Cracking debate that would be.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kalman posted:

I've been wondering this whole time if anyone was going to get around to pointing out that Officer Encinia was Hispanic, not white.

It's racist to make assumptions about him, if that is the case.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

nm posted:

And if they'd called it "slain officers fund" or something it would be fine. Calling it "blue lives matter" is basically an attempt to mock and profit off of the black liveatter campaign. And if you don't see that you're blind.

It's not zero sum. In fact, the Righteous Indignation provoked will probably result in even greater fundraising for Black Lives Matter (and Free Mumia!). So, win-win.

LeJackal posted:

Exactly. Disarm the police immediately.

Also, gently caress school and give me my allowance Immediately.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

I agree.
That shooting video looks really fake too, has it even been provedn this guy is actually dead in the first place?

Probably loving SJWs trying to stir up poo poo against cops

Would you prefer a justice system in which guilt is presumed of criminal defendants?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Why do cop apologists continually come back with "due process" when the due process of the cops' victims have usually been terminally abused in each instance?

LIke "yeah, they totally blew that kid away for essentially walking down the road, but hold on... they're cops and we can't just jump to conclusions, that would assume they are guilty."

Are you addressing me? I have a visceral dislike of cops even stronger than my dislike of ersatz leftist poseurs, but I am a lawyer trained in the US and respect due process. Due process is not a thing you put in scare quotes - it's a constitutional guarantee here. Everyone involved in judicial proceedings gets it. We don't suspend it because it seems likely that dude violated someone else's rights outside of judicial proceedings.

What are you suggesting? That this cop be burned at the stake NOW, because, like, leftist veganism?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Condiv posted:

tbh, all the posters in here are asking is that this is properly investigated and that the prosecutor actually do his job. this means:

• no sitting on the case for years
  • the prosecutor doesn't take this to a grand jury and play defense for the person he should be prosecuting
  • the prosecutor doesn't give false or misleading instructions to the jury to tank the case

I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing some truly bloodthirsty, retributionist rhetoric. People are arguing that due process should be defined at the same standard as the acts which the penal system punishes.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

That'll happen. You want to line it up against what cops are saying on cop forums?

The kind of cop forums you have to send in a scan of your ID card to access?

I don't like cops. I expect much more of myself and my justice system than I expect from them. Why would you lower your standards to those whom you despise for their low standards? It makes no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

A Fancy Bloke posted:

My quote was simply about the inequality in which police suspects are handled as opposed to civilian suspects. Along with it was a question as to why no one who clutches their pearls at cops getting anything but the most favorable treatment legally bats an eyelash at a cop summarily executing a civilian for whatever imagined offense.

There was no call to execute police.

This thread is absolutely replete with pearl-clutching about the possibility that a probably-criminal cop won't spend years being gang-raped in prison. If you don't see it, you need to step out of your echo chamber more often.

By the way, 'summary execution' doesn't mean what you think it means.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread