Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

I'm going to go ahead and remind everyone in this thread that police in other countries manage to handle stuff like this all the time, without using deadly force.

We should ban everyday cops from carrying guns, and bring in specially trained officers whenever more force is necessary (active shooter scenarios, etc).

Considering the epidemic of cops' lives being needlessly put at risk because they apparently can't seem to keep their guns out of reach of suspects, this would be a pretty clear benefit from the standpoint of police safety.

We don't seem to be able to train a cop who suspects a jaywalker might have committed a robbery to, you know, keep reasonable control over the situation. If we're going to have cops that just pull up right next to someone and trap themselves inside their car with a rolled-down window, maybe it'd be safer if they weren't carrying a gun that their carelessness makes easily accessible to the suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh joy, an argument about an argument that happened in another subforum, how riveting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah well prone handcuffed suspects can be very dangerous. Tasering is the only way to be sure.

I think it was established earlier in this thread that anyone in taser range is too dangerous to be tasered and should be shot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

No the primary purpose of an army is to kill people. That's what makes an army good or lovely, it's ability to kill people.

Your point is still correct, that it's not the job of enforcing laws and protecting civil society, but it's stupid to say that armies exist for peace.

I think that's the point he was making. Armies exist to create the peace (by killing people), but are bad at keeping the peace (by killing people)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Usually those strategic objectives don't include "and we'll have to keep fighting forever and never win" and if that happens then the army was not successful.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Good luck getting 10,000+ different police departments to report something that could be used against them. Not that I don't support the idea, but there's no legal basis to compel reporting and no political will to fund it so long as it's only poor folks getting murdered.

I'm open to any and all reform proposals, except for ones that cops won't like or anything effective at all really, those are off the table.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Republicans may be stupid, but do you know who is even stupider? THE BLACKS.

I am a moderate centrist, that's how you know I am trustworthy.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 15, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amish?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I learned from the Michael Brown thread that prosecutors never protect cops by setting up cases to take a dive, so whatever happened in this situation must be perfect justice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's amazing how inept prosecutors suddenly become when a cop is the defendant.

poo poo happens though, nothing to see here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tsa posted:

In the grand scheme of things that is wrong with the justice system, prosecutors not being aggressive enough in prosecution is an incredibly bizarre thing to focus on. This thread can be incredibly schizophrenic when it is trying to decide whether or not to be TOUGH ON CRIME or not.

Maybe the focus is on the huge differential in proscutor aggression when the defendant is a white cop vs when he is black civilian

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm glad that these protections are built into the system, to be exercised at the discretion of a prosecutor whose murderer-cop buddy is on trial.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Except I don't think it is a pattern. I see the same kinds of errors all over the place. They just aren't news because it's cases no one gives a poo poo about except the immediate parties.

Goddamn black privilege and the biased negro-loving media! :argh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

They are high visibility because they involve police.

Why have police killings and the subsequent incompetent prosecution of them become so high visibility lately, do you think?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but can you Jedi mind-meld every official and prove that every cop and prosecutor isn't just selectively incompetent when it comes to not murdering blacks, not covering up murder, and not loving up prosecutions of same?

Didn't think so, looks like everything is fine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you can't exercise message discipline, you're almost certainly in the wrong.

That's not fair, there are plenty of good cops out there that don't deserve to be painted with the brush of the murderous ones. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm all about gently caress the police, they're just a bunch of fascist pigs stealing money from hardworking free men with bullshit traffic tickets and marijuana arrests.

But they are definitely not racist, whatever repression they deal out to the people of Baltimore is obviously well deserved.

-Every Libertarian

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

Surprise, ruining poo poo for everyone pisses people off and tends to set them against you.

Against..whom? All black people? Because that's whom racist comments target.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

The protesters in Ferguson burned down a non-zero percentage of their city in return for some token concessions from the PD. They got like, what, "we'll hire more black people" and "no more racist emails!"? They looted and destroyed their own neighborhoods, drove out businesses, and got almost nothing in return. Not only that but once the spotlight is off the town, things are only going to get worse between the citizens and the PD because relations are at an all-time low.

I thought it was the responsibility of the government to maintain civil order, and not mistreat the populace until anger boils over and all law and order breaks down.

No? You admit there are obvious problems in the civil administration, but the people in charge of it aren't at fault, now the people rioting in response to this terrible governance are all to blame? It's weird how anger at the government isn't an understandable reason to riot, yet anger at rioters is a totally expected and understandable reason not to fix any problems with governance.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's a hilarious double-standard.

"Law enforcement as institutionalized robbery, a consistent record of harassment and violence against the citizenry, and open racism at all levels of government eventually leads to disregard for the law and rioting" - Pansy liberal apologism for criminals

"Riots only make the police hate the populace so of course they'll be even more cruel and violent towards civilians afterwards" - That's just level-headed realism!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

shrike82 posted:

As Reddit put it so eloquently

Oh yeah white people really appreciated MLK, how did things turn out for him again?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No time to talk about unlawful maimings and murders by the cops: look, precious precious money is being destroyed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kanish posted:

its a mile from my house dude, i think its fair to be upset about this happening to my community

How many fucks did you give about this community when they were being murdered by cops?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kanish posted:

Im not sure what this means? Are you suggesting I am pro-police brutality and non-transparency?

Well this thread has been talking about the death of that guy in police custody ever since it happened, so for someone who is oh-so-concerned about it, funny your first post was

Kanish posted:

Nope they are still killing each other at a decent rate.

But I guess I can't get over the irony of BGF Bloods and Crips uniting over the killing of poor black men

How can blacks protest the killing of a black man when other blacks too have killed black men :chord::fh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You'd think people concerned for the community would be mad at a local government that abused and mistreated the populace to the point of a total breakdown in law and order, but hunh, nope...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kanish posted:

But I am allowed to be upset about multiple things.

But you're not upset about multiple things. You are upset about one thing, the one thing you choose to post about.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pacmania90 posted:

You're upset about that poster. Why aren't you upset about police brutality?

Holy poo poo, it's the dumbest post ever.

Because obviously arguing with that poster over the importance of police brutality isn't any indication that I place importance on police brutality right?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

shrike82 posted:

It's gross to jack off from the unrest knowing that at the end of the day, the black kids go to jail and people like popular thug feel smug about it.

Actually, black kids get murdered by cops, and this happens whether there's looting happening or not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

shrike82 posted:

So I guess looting isn't very productive then.

Correct.

It is, however, a predictable consequence of state-perpetrated and -sanctioned murder, so if we want to remove one catalyst for looting that's the place to look, rather than wringing our hands about "but how could this happen, do the common people have no respect?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Parody Threads posted:

Lmao voting and money, those should be easy to get these days.

You've got to get creative. If you need to buy some civil rights legislation, just take out an $80 million loan from your parents instead of rioting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, the main difference was that the colonists weren't dragging chests of untaxed tea back to their houses. They also deliberately chose a symbolic target rather than kicking over the dry goods store closest to where they lived. Personally and directly profiting from an act of protest compromises its message.

Wait what. The whole point of the protest was to destroy the tea Britain was bringing in with lower duties to drive smugglers out of business, and of course the tea smugglers wanted to get rid of the competition. The leaders profited very much from the destruction of the tea.

Jesus Christ, the state of Americans' knowledge of their own history is just sad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I guess if you accept the idea that powerful countries have the right to extract wealth from their colonies, and targeted violation of the specific laws designed to do that is wrong, you'd have a point.

So looting and property destruction is okay if the government is doing immoral things?

Well, let me tell you a bit about the Baltimore PD...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

British colonialism in the Americas was bad...because occasionally the British mistreated their own white colonists.

This is the most amazing alternate history I've ever read, keep going.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

It makes more sense if you remove the racial aspect of it from the equation. It really doesn't matter one bit what the color of either side, involved or just posting about it:

The police is Dad. The notion of "Don't violently riot because of the police make you upset" is a Dad Thought.

If you're a gently caress You Dad kind of person, you're going to cheer on people who are doing anything that says gently caress You Dad. It doesn't matter one bit what verbose justifications for the rioting are, what matters is that Group X is doing gently caress You Dad things, gently caress You Dad people like seeing gently caress You Dad stuff, so you'll overlook the bad things about what Group X is doing because, hey, Group X is doing what I'd like to do.

I guess the Baltimore police are like Dad, if you include the dads who occasionally beat and murder their offspring, sure.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

To put it even broader, the legal system is Dad too. It demands reasonable-to-Dads proof that X is being done before punishing the accused. gently caress You Dads don't need any of that, and acts surprised when 'but this is what I feel happened' isn't weighed as strongly as 'this is what we can prove happened'.

Of course, the justice system is declining to even indict cops who murder people in broad daylight on video, let alone out of sight in police custody.

So I guess that's like Dad if you include the dads who murder children and cover up for their child-murdering friends, sure.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

That speaks more to the fact that those in the justice system have a better understanding of things than those speaking from the sidelines.

Yeah the murderer and his buddies usually do have a better understanding of how a crime went down than uninvolved people sure, but that doesn't mean we should put his friends in charge of the investigation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Foma posted:

Michael Slager was charged with murder for shooting Walter Scott. When it is unambiguous and filmed the justice system goes after cops.

And there were no riots in South Carolina either!

Hmm it's almost like an independent commission that investigates corruption and wrongdoing with a solid record of fair and impartial pursuit of justice can keep the trust of the populace and avoid the complete breakdown of law and order that's happening in a place where the cops and justice system is routinely violent and bigoted!

Who'd a thunk

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Foma posted:

I don't think that pans out, Darren Wilson/Michael Brown case was reviewed by the Federal government and we got riots there.

Did the riots happen before or after the federal government reviewed it? Oh and who was the first to destroy property in Ferguson. Was it rioters? Or was it police destroying the memorial to Michael Brown the very night of the shooting before any riots even happened?

Think back. Think baaaaaaaaack.

Weird huh, how places with bad governments have riots and places with good government that react swiftly and decisively to misconduct by their agents...don't, isn't it? Gosh.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

You'll also note the feds released a report that can be summed up as "the city of Ferguson shits on the lives of its black citizens as hard as it is physically able to, from every possible angle."

Yeah but we're going to totally discount that because the attorney general was a black man because local justice systems are always totally reliable, I mean! Anyone who contradicts that, even a federal agency just has daddy issues. Daddy issues like "wow that sure is a lot of evidence confirming insane amounts of brutality and discrimination"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Foma posted:

Which is why protesting is a lose/lose/lose option. Your efforts could be going for more effective routes to change, you don't get positive coverage unless you run into a Bull Conner type and those don't really exist these days, and you open up the chance for rioting and your message to completely run away and your side becoming untenable to support by the masses.

Why'd you have to go throw bottles at cops who were just doing their jobs at Stonewall, gay people? Nothing justifies violence. You're just turning people off, couldn't you have let yourselves be arrested and beaten quietly and politely and then written a sternly-worded letter to your congressman later if you were released?

• Locked thread