Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
re: field drug testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/video-mans-police-interaction-exposes-vast-conspiracy-film-police/#F3ZIDCeGEQpFDG3K.01

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harik posted:

It's unbelievable - in this hyper-tough-on-crime environment, why the gently caress would a DA walk away from multiple slam-dunk felonies with max terms up to life? Who gives a poo poo if she was raped, take the multiple free statutory cases and get the promotion. How awful of a person do you have to be to poo poo on your own career just to spite a victim of a crime?

How integrated are the DC police? I know the residents of DC are majority black, but departments in minority-majority districts seem to love recruiting from the suburbs instead.

MPD officers do not have to reside in DC; however, there is a residency preference that adds points to the rating and ranking score of qualified candidates who live in the District of Columbia.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Life in prison is a death sentence

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you're literally sentenced to die in prison so welp

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel Shazar posted:

At one point in the middle of the video I could swear that one of the cops kicks another one of the cops in the head.

yup

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DARPA posted:

Letting someone die from a heroin overdose when http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naloxone exists is really loving cruel. You give someone a spritz of nasal spray and they live. Simple as that. To let someone in custody die of a heroin OD you basically have to watch them gradually stop breathing until they die and while you stand there and do nothing.

or not have naxalone on hand

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reporters who said that that reserve deputy's training papers were falsified resigned, reasons unclear

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DARPA posted:

Unclear?

yeah

quote:

The executive editor of The Tulsa World newspaper told TPM on Monday afternoon that while she doesn't "have any reason to doubt" the sources of a blockbuster article the paper published last week she is now working "to verify" those sources after the two journalists who wrote it resigned earlier in the day.

Then on Monday, Goforth and Branstetter resigned suddenly from the newspaper. In an interview with TPM, The Tulsa World executive editor, Susan Ellerbach, said the reporters' departure was not related to the Bates article. But when pressed on whether the newspaper was standing behind their story, Ellerbach pointedly declined to respond, saying: "That's all I'd like to say right now."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading the opinion

state proved elements of murder, but court did not undertake self defense analysis as murder was not charged

follow the citation to Eason and you get "[I]ntentionally firing into a crowd cannot be reckless." People v. Jefferson, 260 Ill. App. 3d 895, 912 (Ill. App. 1994).

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

If you intentionally hit someone with your car, you would not be engaged in reckless driving... unless there were other pedestrians you could have accidentally hit in the process. If one of them died, you could make a case that recklessness lead to their death, but not for the person you intentionally hit with your vehicle.

probably not in Illinois: firing into a crowd to intentionally hit someone isn't reckless w/r/t the other people

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Wait, I'm confused and may have missed something. I thought he killed the person he was intending too?

I will have to reread.

Some people were in an alley, he thought one of them pulled a gun on him, shot, killed someone else.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, you don't make it to trial intending to throw the case.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the prosecutor wanted to shield their cop buddy, they'd just say "self-defense, no charges"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

I can accept that it is prosecutor incompetence. However, we are STILL doing nothing about that, either. This guy will probably continue to bumble along and mysteriously gently caress up cases.

Good news: Anita Alvarez is up for reelection in 2016. Get someone to run against her on the platform of "I'll fire the person responsible for this".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

I actually do believe that hitting someone when driving 15 over the speed limit and killing them should be more than a misdemeanor.

But maybe that just makes me crazy.

no, you're just kneejerking

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

A man died because a police officer struck him from behind travelling at 15 above the speed limit, more on how this means no one can have a valid opinion besides "IT WERENT HIS FAULT" at 11.

edit: quote instead of edit whoops.

Either way, normal people get tickets all the time for going 15 above, even on roads where it's 'accepted' to speed.

he got a ticket

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

And a man is dead.

and he'll get sued, and will probably lose. not all killings are even criminal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Penalties in various states for simple speeding causing death on some really quick research:

Michigan:
misdemeanor up to a year, $2,000 fine

Arizona:
traffic school and community service

Utah:
misdemeanor and lose your license for a year

Delaware:
misdemeanor

Florida:
community service they're trying to make it a misdeameanor

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 23, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

I've found the problem, you think a misdemeanor is a traffic infraction. People very often go to jail for misdemeanors.

Do people usually go to jail for their first misdemeanor?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

If it invokes killing, it often happens.

Google's giving me a lot of suspended sentences, but I'll defer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemming posted:

It's one thing to be right about something and it's another to be a dick about it. It's pretty understandable that somebody might have an emotional reaction to the situation. Being a bunch of condescending assholes about it only reinforces peoples' idea of lawyers being heartless lizard people. And makes you feel cool I guess.

Complaining when police literally do get treated the same way as anyone else is really, really loving stupid, and causes me, who has been posting on these forums about the lack of police accountability for like a loving decade to have an emotional reaction to people spouting off dumb bullshit that doesn't help the cause.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e:nm

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ashcans posted:

Well I dunno, let's take 30 seconds to check!

Jesus what a hack, I bet he couldn't even find his way to the courthouse.

Edit: Oh I guess you realized that? Leaving this for posterity, seeing as people seem happy to dismiss the article without addressing it because Pace is a mediocre school.

there's plenty of reasons to discount legal scholarship and that's usually one among them (professor track is usually law school -> couple years as a federal clerk -> professor) but yeah, in this case, I jumped to conclusions

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joeburz posted:

Laughing at the thought of two lawyers looking down on this guy that disagrees with them because he teaches at a sub-tier school, meanwhile they're shitposting on something awful dot com.

Teaching at a sub-tier school should be both a crime and grounds for disbarring.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

I'll go ahead and reveal the gotcha, because the follow up question is "Is enforcement of this country's drug laws ethical?" If you answer "No" to this, then you have to support people running unlicensed businesses because their product happens to be drugs, selling drugs to kids, et cetera, and if you answer "Yes" you're stuck explaining how laws can simultaneously be unethical to exist and ethical to enforce, which is a pretty nuanced position.

Or you could argue that the harm of one outweighs the harm of the other, not that either extreme is your preferred outcome.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it's fair to judge the Baltimore protestors, who are performing a vital public service, harshly on account of a few bad apples who are engaging in property damage. I am sure that the protestors' investigation of these people will reveal that their actions were necessary, anyway. Let's not all rush to judgment hastily.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
While we all regret that those police cars were destroyed before it was their time to go, it must be noted that they habitually drove faster than the speed limit and also had their front bumper pointing at the protestors, and therefore the protestors were justified in doing what they did. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, and at the end of the day, the protestors just want to go home to their families.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

semper wifi posted:

Angry people saying or doing anything they think might hurt the person they're angry at is a pretty common thing, yeah.

weird, huh?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Orioles COO John Angelos

quote:

[S]peaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state. :drat:

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
poo poo like this doesn't just happen out of the blue. These people must have had a history of doing poo poo like this. Imagine how much respect their victims must have for law and order. Imagine how much respect other victimized people must have for law and order knowing that this happens.

quote:

Two former small town police officers in South Carolina should spend at least a year in prison for shocking a mentally disabled woman at least eight times with a Taser without giving her time to follow their orders, federal prosecutors say.

Both Eric Walters and Franklin Brown will be sentenced on federal charges Monday in Florence. The two Marion police officers pleaded guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law in October.

Walters was patrolling in Marion early on the morning of April 2013 when he saw 40-year-old Melissa Davis walking out of the yard of a home for sale. He asked her what she was doing, thinking she might have broken into the home, then shocked her with his Taser, according to court papers.

After Davis fell to the ground, Walters ordered her to put her hands behind her back, then shocked her four more times before she could respond, prosecutors said.

By the time Brown responded, Walters had determined Davis did nothing wrong and was removing the Taser probes from her back. Brown noticed one of Davis' hands had slipped from her improperly applied handcuffs and ordered everyone to move away and shocked Davis again, even though she was not trying to fight or escape, according to court papers.

Brown shocked Davis twice more, then offered to let her go if he could shoot her in the forehead one more time with his Taser, prosecutors said.

Brown told the other officers at the scene he shot Davis with the Taser because he "did not want to touch that nasty (obscenity)," according to his plea agreement.

Both officers are white. Court records did not indicate Davis' race.

Prosecutors said they agree with federal sentencing guidelines that ask for 12 to 18 months behind bars for Walters and an 18- to 24-month sentence for Brown. The guidelines are tougher for Brown because Davis was in a vulnerable position when he shocked her.

Walters' lawyer asked for a six-month prison sentence and six months of home detention because he is in poor health after several heart attacks suffered before age 39. The lawyer added that Walters had a good record as an officer before the incident. Brown's lawyers did not file any motions asking for mercy before the sentencing.

Prosecutors said the officers should have known Davis had a diminished mental state, and a lawsuit filed by her caretaker against the officers and the city of Marion said she was well known around town.

The civil suit said along with the physical pain and suffering from the shocks and their after-effects, Davis also continues to need help to deal with mental anguish from what happened. Her lawsuit is seeking a minimum of nearly $2 million.

The officers originally faced state charges, which were dropped when federal prosecutors took over. At least three officers in South Carolina have been recently charged with shooting unarmed suspects.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/04/27/3719366_prosecutors-ask-for-prison-for.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

L-Boned posted:

I feel like we need more of this.

this would literally be the last day of the united states (and not in moral "oh we have lost our way" sense)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the rioters are a bunch of high school kids

http://coed.com/2015/04/27/baltimore-riots-mom-slap-video-freddy-gray-protests-looting/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Accounts from locals indicate that the police claimed a "credible threat of gang violence" and descended on a local high school before it let students out, shutting down the public transit around it. This resulted in some rather miffed students finding out that their school was surrounded by riot cops and they had no way to get home reliably.

It's very similar to what occurred in Ferguson, where peaceful protests were met with rifle-armed officers and snipers and antagonism until a few thrown water bottles gave the excuse to deploy tear gas and shoot reporters.

I haven't seen a guns out in Baltimore. poo poo's bad, but I think this is more of a "undercurrent of mistrust and resentment coming to the surface" than "that plus also the cops are LARPing"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pacmania90 posted:

How do you arrest a small group of violent protestors within a larger group of peaceful protestors? Genuinely curious.

cop answer: trick question: they're all violent

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
MLK on riots:

"I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hm8wXZmRD8

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://touch.citypaper.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83403290/

quote:

On Saturday night, following the violence that broke out near Camden Yards, a photo of me supposedly protecting a woman from violent protesters surfaced on BuzzFeed and then trickled down to the conservative armpit of the internet where it was mischaracterized. In the photo, I look strangely heroic, and the picture was quickly co-opted by those who like to present an all-too-common and easy narrative: white people being terrorized by black people.

The truth, or as much as I have been able to cobble together from my own memory and notes, videos online, video I shot, and videos from City Paper’s Managing Editor Baynard Woods, is far less interesting, though much more important than “white dude saves white lady.”

I’m not exactly sure how the violence broke out around 6 p.m. in front of Pickles Pub on Washington Boulevard and traveled up the street to The Bullpen, Sliders Bar & Grill, and Frank & Nic’s West End Grille then down Howard Street. I know a small group of protesters and a small group of baseball fans started whipping bottles at one another and brawling. When the protesters turned the corner onto Washington Boulevard from Camden Street chanting “black lives matter,” some baseball fans applauded and a few angrily chanted back, “We don’t care”—someone who worked at The Bullpen confirmed this for me. He also said that some patrons chanted “run them over,” and one yelled “go get them.” Other protestors, including City Paper contributor D. Watkins and gang members interviewed on WBAL, recall bar patrons calling them “niggers,” among other racist epithets.

I don’t know who threw something first, but I heard a shift to jeers and boos from the people drinking and ran right over to it and saw beers being tossed from behind a gate that keeps Pickles drinkers from standing in the road and bottles being whipped back at the drinkers. Some people at Pickles stood up and moved toward the protesters though they were protected by the gate. Then, protesters pulled away the gate protecting Pickles customers from the street. Men from Pickles and elsewhere charged toward the protesters and the protesters charged the Pickles customers. It was at this point that I stopped being a journalist and became someone who was trying to help out.

A young woman from the bar threw a stool at me and others, and then affected a “come at me bro” stance. At the same time, many protesters were trying to tell the ones who were fighting and throwing things to stop causing trouble and keep moving. Some protesters began to grab bags of peanuts from a small stand and throw them at the people at the bar. The woman who threw the stool got hit in the face with a bag of peanuts and she went down. I helped her back up.

I retreated and noticed another woman from the bar, who earlier had thrown a chair, was now following the group as it moved up Washington Boulevard, pleading with them to stop. I ran up to her and told her to get back. She pushed me away, which is both a reasonable response to someone screaming at you and also a completely bizarre response to someone who is telling you to go inside, you’re going to get hurt.

At some point around here, a fight started in front of Sliders. Protesters and bar customers were fighting. The videos show people on both sides who wanted to fight and were excited to fight and embraced the opportunity.

The pleading woman followed the protesters up to the bar Frank & Nic’s. She was reaching out at people and yelling. I stopped her from walking toward a protester who was throwing a chair at a window, and that’s when the picture was taken. City Paper contributors Caitlin Goldblatt and Gianna DeCarlo were also talking to the woman at this point and a protester with a big bag and a bottle of vodka that he clearly stole from one of the bars (it has a pourer on it) approached her. That’s where we got the image of a protester, who was most certainly looting, who looks like he’s stealing a purse, but I was there and I’m really not sure if that’s what is happening.

In part, it also seems like it was a failure of security, who didn’t stop customers from jeering at the protesters. I was also told by employees at the bars that they had a discussion beforehand about how bad it would be if O’s fans who “every game, drink way too much” encountered protesters. The protesters who got violent weren’t from “out of town,” by the way. Some of their faces were recognizable to me as people who had been with the protests. Here were drunk, angry, white baseball fans and bar-goers who were equally guilty for the violence that happened that night and embraced the chance to fight and provoked some of it, and any accurate narrative must acknowledge that and barely anyone has acknowledged that. If you’d like to call Baltimore County whites and Boston Red Sox fans “outside agitators,” then you’ve got your outside agitators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Yossarian looked at Waco Panty Raid soberly and tried another approach. 'Is the Ferguson PD racist?'

'They sure are,' Waco Panty Raid said.

'Can you stop them?'

'I sure can. But first the people need to start protesting, or how can I justify believing in them'

'That's all they have to do to be believed?'

'That's all. Let them start protesting.'

'And then you can believe them?' Yossarian asked.

'No. Then I can't believe him.'

'You mean there's a catch?'

'Sure there's a catch,' Waco Panty Raid replied. 'Catch-22. Anyone who isn't already protesting doesn't have a serious problem.'

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a problem severe enough to cause protests should never have taken this long to be fixed. The problems were real and should be addressed. All the people had to do was start protesting; and as soon as they did, it proved the problems couldn't be that bad because they hadn't already done it. The people would be justified in protesting, but scammers if they hadn't protested before, but if they were scammers then there's no real problems. If they were protesting they were justified and should be believed, but if they started protesting then it was a sham because the same problems were already there. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Waco Panty Raid agreed.

Yossarian saw it clearly in all its spinning reasonableness. There was an elliptical precision about its perfect pairs of parts that was graceful and shocking, like good modern art, and at times Yossarian wasn't quite sure that he saw it at all, just the way he was never quite sure about good modern art

stealing this, thanks

• Locked thread