Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Before Steam I bought a copy of Counter-Strike that came in a big box. I also bought Half-Life Blue Shift in a box. I have the 11 year badge on Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioyLQ2O6yc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't miss my games being gone for good whenever my brother "borrowed" a CD and broke it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

dark days, my friend. dark days...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i remember having a spreadsheet with all my CD-keys on it

lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Before Steam I bought a copy of Counter-Strike that came in a big box. I also bought Half-Life Blue Shift in a box. I have the 11 year badge on Steam

10 year badge :(

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

10 year badge :(

Rekt.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
I purchased starcraft & brood war three different times.

I could still find a pair of disks and get back to playing.. without needing an internet connection

Best Regards,
RG

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I downloaded it just for Codename: Gordon because I heard it was free and that Half-Life 2 was cool. I couldn't run it.

I just learned it was flash and that explains it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think I must have gotten half life 2 on my birthday a few months after release, because my steam account was created on my birthday

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

RichardGamingo posted:

I purchased starcraft & brood war three different times.

I could still find a pair of disks and get back to playing.. without needing an internet connection

Best Regards,
RG

I borrowed Warcraft II from my friend and never gave it back. I still have the disc

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Unguided posted:

I don't miss my games being gone for good whenever my brother "borrowed" a CD and broke it.

my sister and i both liked the sims but we would buy different expansion packs, which lead to drama unlike the world has ever seen. not anymore. being adult now has nothing to do with it: it's all thanks to steam.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

7 years here... *bows*

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction was kickin' rad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yobgoblin posted:

i was on vacation when it came out and my parents got LoD for me on the way home from vacation so I spent the entire way home reading those terrible little guidebooks that blizzard used to provide in the box

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Eonwe posted:

i was on vacation when it came out and my parents got LoD for me on the way home from vacation so I spent the entire way home reading those terrible little guidebooks that blizzard used to provide in the box

I never touched the guides. Just played it for nearly a year over and over on higher and higher difficulty.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

lmao yessss memorizing the booklets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I remember all the cool game boxes and the boot disks and the hair-pulling whenever disc 6 of 20 got scratched.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I remember all the cool game boxes and the boot disks and the hair-pulling whenever disc 6 of 20 got scratched.

battle-chests

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Best game box? Ultima 9. Worst game? Yeah.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
i actually started using steam late and holy poo poo do i wish i started using it earlier

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there are still people who follow PC releases and try to start an uproar whenever a dev says they are selling it on steam

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quake 2's full install was too much memory for my 10GB hard drive to handle because i also had some other games and like, microsoft word

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my PC couldn't run warcraft 3 when it came out

lol

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I literally can't. I can imagine what it must have been like, but it's as viewed through a dusty mirror.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

AtlasToked posted:

i actually started using steam late and holy poo poo do i wish i started using it earlier

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Before Time

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Eonwe posted:

my PC couldn't run warcraft 3 when it came out

lol

nvidia geforce experience, the tool that comes with geforce gpus to help you configure games, comes with a warcraft 3 setting despite not having many games and not having any other games of that generation

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It was a better time.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i remember. good poo poo,

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

nvidia geforce experience, the tool that comes with geforce gpus to help you configure games, comes with a warcraft 3 setting despite not having many games and not having any other games of that generation

im guessing because so many people played dota

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Yobgoblin posted:

it's cool that the diablo 2 battle chest is still on walmart shelves like 13 years after i got mine

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Eonwe posted:

im guessing because so many people played dota

i think it's this combined with the game being locked to a max of 1024x768 I think, so geforce experience setting the resolution using the registry is convenient

it'd be cool if they added a section just for stuff like that

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
yeah, I remember having consoles, op.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the fact that the new consoles are basically steam but lovely now is kind of hosed up

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i never bothered until after the Orange Box came out

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I borrowed Warcraft II from my friend and never gave it back. I still have the disc

i borrowed warcraft II from a friend and the disc snapped in half in the drive. i had to pay him for the game too

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Eonwe posted:

there are still people who follow PC releases and try to start an uproar whenever a dev says they are selling it on steam

lol
lolyea, when i occasionally buy steam games on amazon, there are always a few leaving pissed off reviews on the item page. that's when i remember these people still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
when i was 11 i went to gamestop and bought counter strike source + hl2 deathmatch + day of defeat source so that i could play garry's mod

• Locked thread