Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Yes I remember buying PC games in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
the only game i used to play on my pc as a kid was the sims

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I used to write my cd keys on my cds. I had to burn my friends copy of diablo 2 because i kept loving up the 2nd disc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i think the only game that had really good installation screens was age of mythology

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I bought a copy of Neverwinter Nights from a Menard's ages ago. It wasn't until a year later my family had a computer that could barely run the game, but by god I played the poo poo out of it. Before that my PC gaming was like, Reader Rabbit and Amazon Trail and Putt-Putt. Basically, I hadn't gamed on a computer in years.

Anyway now that Steam is here everything is better, and people who think Steam is bad are stupid and wrong.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I borrowed Warcraft II from my friend and never gave it back. I still have the disc

You're an rear end in a top hat, Tim. And where are my Baldur's Gate II disks?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Before Steam I bought a copy of Counter-Strike that came in a big box. I also bought Half-Life Blue Shift in a box. I have the 11 year badge on Steam

Not really.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

it sucked

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i played morrowind on the xbox... good times, good times
now with steam the motivation just isn't there, to play morrowind

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

remember when getting a new videogame was like this magical experience. youd be sittin on the ride home reading the manual and gettin all anxious and excited. now i have access to every single game in existance and im not sure its better

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

babypolis posted:

remember when getting a new videogame was like this magical experience. youd be sittin on the ride home reading the manual and gettin all anxious and excited. now i have access to every single game in existance and im not sure its better

i think that the most magical experience is playing games

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

babypolis posted:

This, except when you get home it turns out you only have 600k of free conventional memory, when the game requires 620k. Then you spend weeks loving around and finally get it working, thus dooming you to a lifetime of family tech support.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Remember having to click on desktop icons to open games? Dark times indeed...

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I remember all the cool game boxes and the boot disks and the hair-pulling whenever disc 6 of 20 got scratched.

gently caress that was always bad. RIP my original baldur's gate

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Why did you buy counter strike it was free. It took all night to download though

I loaned Fallout to my "best"" friend and never got it back. He gave it to someone else to I guess it was a gamer pay it forward

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

metricchip posted:

Remember having to click on desktop icons to open games? Dark times indeed...

you can still pretty faithfully imitate this ancient practice.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I really miss the thrill of the installation screen, watching the little progress bar slowly move towards the right of the screen, inching ever closer to new game playing bliss.

Also getting a new RPG and spreading the map (there was always a map) out on the desk while the installer was running, imagining the grand adventures to be had in the fantasy landscape before me.

Downside was going into the game store and having to interact with the sweaty neckbeards who really needed to tell me all about why I shouldn't buy Star Trek Elite Force (they were wrong, poo poo was awesome).

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Half of Baldur's Gate was swapping out the 6 or 7 CD-ROMs it came with whenever you traveled to a new town or map

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxU3AJ6UGk

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Yobgoblin posted:

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction was kickin' rad.

i was playing diablo on 9/11

everyone left my bloodrun it sucked

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even with some bad aspects steam is a vast improvement over having to keep physical media, cd keys, keep an eye on patches, not getting quarterly sales, not being able to check out cheap ow budget games, having to manage shortcuts to the desktop manually, worrying about install folders,

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I remember when they first attached steam to certain games for updating and such. It sucked.

It still sucks

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just Offscreen posted:

I remember when they first attached steam to certain games for updating and such. It sucked.

It still sucks

why?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nobody has mentioned WON yet. The shame I feel for you all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Before Steam we had Hope, Jobs, and Cash... now we have NO hope NO jobs and NO cash!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bob, Steve, and Johnny?

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Before Steam we had Hope, Jobs, and Cash... now we have NO hope NO jobs and NO cash!

actually steam came out after bob hope died

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Kazvall posted:

Bob, Steve, and Johnny?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Before Steam we had Bob, Steve, and Johnny! Now we have NO bob NO steve and NO johnny!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not sure it works.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i dont remember before steam because im a child

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
early battle.net was cool. they gave out a special multiplayer-only version of wc2 for it, but if you used cheats in a vs. ai game, you could jump to the campaign

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

steam came out about four months after i got my first PC, but i do remember the beige mac gaming scene in the '90s

it was obviously terrible compared to today i feel no nostalgia

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ur a scrub if u dont have a 6 digit

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I had a subscription to the ImagiNation Network.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

One of the CD games I remember most is Quarantine, the 'Doom in a taxi' game which was awesomely cool with a great soundtrack. The anti-piracy sheet was a chart with a bunch of taxi speeds with the weight of the passengers and the game gave you a speed and a weight which when looked up would give you something like how much they'd splatter and you'd put that in as your code to play.

Shareware too, going into a game shop and paying a few quid to get 3 floppy disks with the first chapter of Doom on it.

...and local newsagents selling games on tape from a rack from 99p-£2.99.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
lol if you're not fragging dudes over Kali.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I only have a 10 yeard badge (turning 11 in a week) since I was kind of fed up with CS. I remember downloading Steam and getting Half-Life and CS with my old CD key only because a cute girl on MSN asked me to play CS with her.

The rest is history.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
i still have my copy of stalker soc on disc but will be finally getting the steam version sometime soon because i need a clean install for a different mod setup and i am really not going to regret buying this, or any, game twice for the convenience of it

people talk about it from time to time but the enormous pain that was pc gaming before steam honestly was a big barrier for a lot of people who weren't dedicated to troubleshooting the product they just bought, and i'm glad that it's made the pc a way more popular platform all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

FuriousGeorge posted:

lol if you're not fragging dudes over Kali.

No, but I did over heat.net.

• Locked thread