Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

i still have my copy of stalker soc on disc but will be finally getting the steam version sometime soon because i need a clean install for a different mod setup and i am really not going to regret buying this, or any, game twice for the convenience of it

people talk about it from time to time but the enormous pain that was pc gaming before steam honestly was a big barrier for a lot of people who weren't dedicated to troubleshooting the product they just bought, and i'm glad that it's made the pc a way more popular platform all around

I wonder if there are assholes out there who are nostalgic about soundblaster drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

how did people power their cotton gins before then?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
how come its been 15 years or whatever and the steam client is still loving appalling

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
The switch from the big pc game boxes to the small game boxes was really jarring as a kid. I thought it meant it there was less game.

Duane Walker
Sep 10, 2010
I remember the day WON finally shut down and we had to get Steam to keep playing counterstrike, even though Steam was poo poo back in '04.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Imp Zone Geriatric Ward

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only thing i kind of miss are game manuals, but even then who gives a gently caress, games companies can just let a bunch of nerds create fan wikis without paying them and it's 100% more comprehensive anyway

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the manual for the sims 1 had a list of recommended books to read

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

My favorite were the Jane's flight sim games. They had dozens and dozens of pages of specs for aircraft and ground vehicles.

Fallout's manuals had recipes in them.

I also miss giant fold out posters of tech-trees.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

BgRdMchne posted:

My favorite were the Jane's flight sim games. They had dozens and dozens of pages of specs for aircraft and ground vehicles.

Fallout's manuals had recipes in them.

I also miss giant fold out posters of tech-trees.

90's manuals were loving rad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm a sucker for backstory fluff so I loved getting pc games with fat manuals

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
CODES AND PROCEDURES OF THE WARRIOR CASTE

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i actually did use the pack-in map for morrowind quite a bit, but then again http://www.uesp.net/maps/mwmap/mwmap.shtml

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I wish Diablo 2, the game I most enjoyed in all of history, was worth playing for just one more time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just came across a bunch of NES and n64 manuals I thought were thrown out.

they actually had pages unlike today where you're lucky if a manual has two pages.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

UP AND ADAM posted:

I wish Diablo 2, the game I most enjoyed in all of history, was worth playing for just one more time.

With some good friends, it might be.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
When I played X3:TC for the first time I downloaded the manual and sent it to my tablet so I could learn how to play. Of course the manual was not enough for me to learn all aspects of the game so I also browsed some wiki during that learning time. Games still have manuals, it's just more convenient, you can just right click on the steam entry for the game and download it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

program666 posted:

When I played X3:TC for the first time I downloaded the manual and sent it to my tablet so I could learn how to play. Of course the manual was not enough for me to learn all aspects of the game so I also browsed some wiki during that learning time. Games still have manuals, it's just more convenient, you can just right click on the steam entry for the game and download it.

I downloaded a manual from Steam once. It was two pages long and instructed me not to turn off my console while the game is autosaving.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Same as before then, not all games had awesome manuals some would only come with a single sheet of paper.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

FuriousGeorge posted:

CODES AND PROCEDURES OF THE WARRIOR CASTE

This is my poo poo right here.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Pretty sure there's still a big rubbermaid full of Nintendo powers, strategy guides, and SNES/N64 manuals in my parents' basement

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Also I'm there too because that's where I live

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Arian_Samurai posted:

I wonder if there are assholes out there who are nostalgic about soundblaster drivers

my soundblaster X-fi crashes my computer every time I listen to music if I accidentally update it

loving soundblaster still existing is a travesty

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just came across a bunch of NES and n64 manuals I thought were thrown out.

they actually had pages unlike today where you're lucky if a manual has two pages.

novel-sized game manuals filled with lore and minutiae are loving rad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yea it was called the World Opponent Network, aka WON

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I remember as a kid I had "favorite" 3.5 floppies, the grey 3M ones totally had a better metal slide and made a deeper more satisfying *THAK* when it slot in.

I was so retarded :cripes:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

the feel of excitement of getting a disc full of shareware from the far away lands of the USA

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

qnqnx posted:

the feel of excitement of getting a disc full of shareware from the far away lands of the USA
Every single person in your village gathered around the computer to see what Apogee, the most popular game company in the world, are up to now.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I copied mortal kombat 2 from a friend's pc using 50 diskettes and ARJ, one of them gave out a CRC error when unarjing and I probably almost had a heart attack but it worked when I tried again. Later on I was playing MK2 using a cheat code that made the characters have the huge heads.

Edit: it's actually mortal kombat 3 and it's giant mode not big heads.

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every single person in your village gathered around the computer to see what Apogee, the most popular game company in the world, are up to now.

Cargo Cult Commander Keen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

That's just Duke Nukem for DOS.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

many brooms were broken that day jumping off trees, hut roofs, stairs

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's just Duke Nukem for DOS.

some day ill do the shoot a can and grab it in midair trick, but irl

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Village elder, playing Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: The gods must be crazy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i had a woodshop teacher in middle school who spent the whole day playing age of empires 2 and i burned it off him and played the game with a key generator, which in all likelihood gave my computer all sorts of terrible viruses

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I remember having to tie up the phone for 4 hours to download a 14MB patch for heretic 2, so I could play it online
heretic 2 players were very cliquey and weird, it was like the same ten or so people every night so a bit like half game half irc channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Colt Had a Silencer and a Scope

• Locked thread