Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a paia fatman that i promised to give to relative_q and god drat it i am going to get it to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im OG sampler dude. i have an akai s2800 and an emu e6400 all scsi'd up and poo poo. they sound so good.

i havent done any music stuff since we moved though, i'd like to get back into it but i gotta get a bass first

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i should actually buy a copy of renoise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah trackers rule and i do all my 'PRODUCED" stuff strictly in renoise now.

i used a copy of cubase 3.55 for loving years, then bounced around through various crap, settled on renoise

only thing that sucks is it has *poo poo* midi sync so I can't use it as drums backing for my Ableton stuff, which is all driven off my bass

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant help but think that the very cheapest microcontroller with a 16 bit DAC either in it or hanging off the side would be an excellent midi to $WEIRDOLDCONTROLSYSTEM interface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BattleMaster posted:

i soldered together a board with an LM386 audio amp on it and tested it with my function generator last night

it wasn't for music (i wanted to hook it up to another experiment to listen to a signal) but it made me think it would be fun to make music with that

learn the 555 and it will keep you busy for months, no poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

is ableton still ok

ableton's looper is integral enough to my live music thingy that yeah i beat the hell out of it

since my crackhead tenants trashed all my poo poo i have to build a new pedalboard
but i can do it better this time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the board that I used to make my super neat pedalboard is back in stock and I'm sorely tempted to grab one while they're available so I can rebuild it

http://www.halemicro.com/wp/products/umc32m/

these things are GRRRRRRRREAT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I like Reason it's pretty neat

reason is cool but sometimes the audio gets messed up, about 50% of the time when somebody sees Reason on your screen they start emanating an uncontrollable high-pitched whining noise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress HATERS MAKE BEATS

any way you want

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they did a song on the first powerpuff girls soundtrack thing which i remember because we were all tragically nerdy weeaboos and i was working in a record store then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you guysssssssss are making me look at music programs and basses again AUUUUUUUUGH HAPPENING INTENSIFIES

its fun when this happens

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I always thought the access virus was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH97yvBca8o

OHHHHH MY GOD I WANTED ONE OF THESE SO GOD drat BAD

that and the novation bass station

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trufacts i still cane the poo poo out of the bass station VST, i just really like the sound of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

access virus was such a rich kid toy

it reminds me of neurofunk, heineken and cocaine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

i have no where near enough money to buy those things i am jealous. at least piracy is very cheap

this is why i like my sampler angle. true, i dont have the analog oscillators and all that, but i get a: really good filtering (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNH2g6Q_RgA)

and the ability to use it, well, as a sampler.

and it was 37 dollars plus shipping because nobody thinks samplers can do anything any more

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

evacuate meatspace posted:

i'd be interested to see what you come up with. do you do that multiple looper/chain select thing?

I found a neat max4live plugin for looping without a pedal. it records instantly upon input and then plays back without intervention: http://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=1007

I use this when I want to avoid count-ins and to leave no chance of introducing silence at the start of the loop.

Nothing amazing, but ableton's looper is pretty limited and looping software seems scarce. i had a bad time with mobius looper

before i bugged out of town i did manage to finish two

all non drum tones are bass guitar

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/shadow-of-moon
https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/crumbling

that max thing looks cool as hell! and yeah ableton's looper is rough. i figure it out well enough tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its me i'm installig asio4all for my ensoniq audiopci and its 1998 and im feelin like a B O S S

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that being said, the experience of hooking up one's first real deal no bullshit pro audio interface and slamming the latency sliders all the way down and it still works is p amazing

when i had that echo layla it would do like 0.8 mS latency with no skipping at 44k

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the overhead and setup and system tie-in is the real bitch.

anybody can run ableton or a shitload of this and that. it takes real planning, testing, and organization to get your macros and midi Y's and virtual audio cables and this and that set up.
and its an even bigger challenge to make that setup reproducible and stable

live shows are murphy's law land. everything always breaks and fucks up

I'm writing a snippet/track a day, i have really bad phones/monitors right now though so its all mixed dumb. just remembering my renoise keyz

http://yourlisten.com/jonny290/thwang bad
http://yourlisten.com/jonny290/derrrr less bad

i know its all stock patches more or less (well first track is sequenced drums) but hey i am saving new files and thats all that matters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my generalized goal for this year is to crank out somewhere between 2 and 8 tracks that im happy with and maybe play a couple shows later in the fall to promote

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thanks for the listen unless, and i would like to take this opportunity to ensure that you do not get a "OH MY GOD DO NOT CRITIQUE MY ART" vibe when I say the following, because I certainly do not mean it as such: lol dude i am writing this poo poo with loving Logitech H800 bluetooth headphones from work, we can revisit eq and mixdown chat around, like, july or so when i can get some proper earpieces

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody should get subtractive, somebody additive, somebody FM, umm extra credit wavetable?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wayfinder posted:

hey now i have 1 (one) official release out on a label im technically not a hobbyist any more!!!!

also i have really approximately 0 interest in recording physical instruments but the rest of this stuff is so loving fascinating

Same, I had a track signed to a record label. It sold literally one copy on Beatport. I'm a pro!

and im the exact opposite, im bored of synths but give me a jazz bass and a rack of fx and i will entertain myself until end of world

bobbilljim posted:

it owuld be cool to have an app that you coudl wire everything up with pretend wires including your pc mic and speakers and headphones

kX drivers for audiopci used to do this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the "oh i'd love to build stuff up" thing only works if you almost obsessively go at it from a modular level and save your components in libraries for building blocks later

if you try to build a good sounding synth from scratch every time you will a: get burnt out or b: end up writing "'"chiptunes"'" cause you're sick of connecting blocks and say ehh a square wave's good enough

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lol that was a five year contract i signed in 2002. that shits long gone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
live is fun, but i always gravitate towards loopy clip based tracks when i get in there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i make 'dance music' so if i ever want a thing played out by a DJ it's gotta be on the fuckin' beat. otherwise, yeah, lets roll tape and rock out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sysex? shiiiiit. try moving 100mb of samples via MIDI SDS.

you basically just leave it alone for a week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ppl laughed when i spent 3 days trying to get a scsi1 card working but when i finally did and dumped a bunch of samples, i blew out the crotch of my pants like somebody stuck a quarter stick of dynamite down there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody just drop a bunch of tracks itt and in six months we'll put a comp together

ill do the ascii nfo thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress you trig ive got the beanbag song in my head

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trig Discipline posted:

that's actually from a whole album of beanbag-oriented activity songs for kids. there's one called "shake your beanbag" that i think i could proably turn into the summer's next great twerkalong

sounds cool. shame it got sacked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is that a fuckin enormo breakout panel

i like

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Granbar posted:

looking forward to when the whole DAW is in the cloud and can be accessed through a browser. have some cloud storage as well for VSTs and samples.

latency + i would freak the gently caress out if my cloud repo was down and my trcks were missing. I would literally fly to SF and murder somebody if I spent years dumping tracks into their cloud thing and it disappeared or got bought by beatport or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trig Discipline posted:

dang the microtonal editing in bitwig is p badass with standup bass

neato

i continued my "work on tracks on the bus" habit every day this week. it makes the 55 minute ride so much faster. ive caught a couple ppl peeking over my shoulder out of the corner of my eyee as i beat on Renoise

the music is bad of course but its strictly a sketch generation exercise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you might even say the wealth trickles down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Granbar posted:

wish i knew how a tracker worked. probably easier to use renoise on the bus without a mouse as compared to ableton?

yep. keyboard supremacy

its pretty impossible to use the trackpad with the bumps and jostles, but keyboard is fine

also im one of those ppl that does not get nausea reading in the car or w/e, that helps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

but i keep just making little loops instead of finishing anything!

this is me, and everybody else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you guys liked my ozark bass attack stuff you will probably love this podcast mix by Fanu

http://www.drumandbassnews.net/drum-and-bass/fanu-breaks-n-beats-podcast-8.html

• Locked thread