Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

But what do they sound like? Can they possible sound as cute as they look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

OMG a red panda post!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz5MtxrDTA

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Well make up your mind. Dangle or loaf.

How are you handing your new PI superstardom?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

She found a pile of dryer lint.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Do you have a gif of a red panda crawling out of a house of some sort?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Not a gif, no

None? :(

Red pandas look so much more adorable in motion. In stills they look noble, serious, and ferocious. In motion they're slow, clumsy, goofy things that rear up and fall on their faces.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Warning: pandas may deflate between morning and evening hours.

Red Pandas are "active" during daylight hours.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I saw something about the russian project to domesticate foxes, and the physical changes that came along with the more domesticated generations. So of course I thought about what it would take to copy that program for red pandas.

150 individuals (50m/100f) would be 15% or more of the whole red panda population. There are currently ~800 living in zoos.
Foxes started producing "elite" domesticated animals after 6 generations, ones that would seek out human attention and compete for it. After 10 generations, about 20% of the kits fell into this category.
Red panda can breed after about 18 months. So 2 years per a generation?
Floppy ears, curly tails, and other dog-like traits might start to appear around 10 generations as well.

Who wants to help fund my Kickstarter? Delivery of potentially floppy eared red pandas could start around 2040.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I wish zoos would publish more info about their pandas online. Pretty sure this is Spark @ the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, though.

Also I found out the names of the pandas at the San Diego Zoo, Flynn and Princess. They're not that hard to tell apart in photos. I need to go visit them already.

That's clearly a photoshop of a panda pasted onto a branch.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

They don't seem very good at eating things.

And the way they just ignore dropped food seems weird. A cat or a dog will go after dropped food, sometimes obsessively. Red pandas seem to treat dropped food as simply gone much faster.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Looking upon these graceful creatures grants me feelings of inner peace and tranquillity

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

It'd be like owning a large ferret w/ special dietary needs, some alternative to fresh bamboo would be needed. Also I think they'd probably need a large outdoor enclosure to keep them safe when unattended. Dunno if they'd ever be trainable like dogs.

The fox domestication project showed that it can only take tens of generations to get to a decent level of domestication, not necessarily hundreds. Right now they would absolutely destroy a house as an indoor pet, and they're excellent climbers who can easily escape anything like a normal backyard. Zoos don't train or breed for pet qualities, but 20 generations of domestication should end up with something that would fall somewhere within the dog range of trainability and intelligence.

They're not straight up carnivores/predators like most of our major pets. Opportunistic omnivores more like racoons, except the easiest to find food in their natural habit is the low quality, high quantity bamboo. A soft pelleted diet with fresh fruit supplements would probably work fine if they were common enough to be pets.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised there's never been any serious push go get red pandas into the pet trade. I mean, we were fully aware of their existence back when mail-order monkeys and alligators were being sold out of comic books.

Being endangered is a big deal. And I don't think they were ever really common in the way that anyone in florida can go loot a gator nest.

If they didn't live way up on some mountains in the middle of nowhere, they probably would have been pushed more as pets.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

The biggest hurdle is probably just the birth rate. If they had litters of six cubs twice a year it'd be a different story.

Birthrate, and that you'd need something like 20% of all the red pandas on the planet.

Basically it's the best super villain plan. Build a compound high up in the mountains, then somehow take control of the world's red panda supply to turn your compound into most powerful stockpile of :3: on the planet.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

"Davi Ann Norsworthy, zookeeper posted:

“Red pandas are not the brightest of the animal kingdom,” she said in a whisper.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Baby red pandas? Don't mind if I do.

A couple of babies being raised by an adoptive mother.

This little guy is from Zoo Planckendael.

This used to be baby red panda before it grew up.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can probably find more but it's hard to browse my full collection at work.

Do you have a high quality pic of one doing their paws up pose like at the end of this gif, or the other gif I just posted?

It's so loving adorable.

Edit: New panda pic for new page

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Closest I could find... I think I've only seen them do that pose in videos, kinda hard to capture in stills.

That is quite an evil looking panda.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Mapparu posted:

is there anyway to tell gender of red pandas, like any physical features?

There's no sexual dimorphism or special coloring. So basically the same way you'd find the sex any other really fuzzy mammal, peeking. Nipples on girls that have nursed are probably also more prominent, and might have some fur missing around them. (I'd guess that the standing panda on this page is a girl.)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Waiting for new posts in this thread.

(Playing with gifcam a bit)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I need more pandas

Same.

I eagerly await the day when I can say that I don't need more red pandas.

That day is not happening anytime soon.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

:3 yeah I never posted that one because I don't like how it loops. They have very expressive ears :3

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

0day panda gifs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Floof used POUNCE
It's super adorable!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The other panda in the background gives away the loop frames, but I like this ever-vigilant panda. He must be looking for grapes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

How have you not posted all the red panda photographs in existence already?

They just keep making more!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5TmDPMQ-wI

18 minutes of pandas, brought to you by Baron's CHANNEL.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

shh, let him learn

Red panda are omnivores that have adapted to eat the worst possible food because it's the most abundant.

They can't digest cellulose like a grazing animal, they literally just eat so much bamboo that the tiny amount of energy and nutrition they CAN extract from it is enough to keep them alive.

Their species is entirely based off making terrible decisions on what to eat. Don't tell them what to do.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

syscall girl posted:

I have determined that red pandas can not be real.*

This is a Sony project to convince us that glorious Nippon is still capable of sustaining life after all its troubles with radiation. They use clusters of playstations to render dem whiskers in glorious 1080p

*they are too fuggin cute

They're not native to Japan.

As for their realness. They're slow, clumsy, and adorable. Those are only useful traits for a species that reproduces via youtube videos.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

My gifs are spreading :3

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_sGT66W9hI&hd=1

C'mon guys. If you're gonna make a birthday video you have to do a bit more than just take a normal video and play "happy birthday" over it.

I'll allow it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm not sure what kind of food that is!!

It's corn, check the high res.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Need a cropped version to replace the firefox icon.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Seriously, I chose the wrong line of work.

I saw someone describe them as cats on steroids, and everything I've seen supports that. They're some strong and solid motherfuckers.

Red pandas are made of 3 things:
adorable floof
muscles
claws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Oh god I just now learned that Firefox was named after those adorable bastards.
They curl up into the icon, too! :3