Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I recently received a mouse taxidermy kit as a gift. After getting my hands on some frozen mice and giving it a few tries I managed to get a stuffed mouse I wasn't wholly disappointed in. I quite enjoyed doing this and think it's a hobby I'd like to pursue.

I know that there's at least one goon taxidermist from an old PYF thread, and I assume we have a few more. I also figured that I can't be the only one with an interest in learning about this. A few questions to stat us off:

Is it easier to stuff bigger animals? The mouse was quite fiddly and I thought that something more the size of a rabbit would have been a better starting point.

What tanning methods do you use? When do you tan the hide and when do you just flesh it and leave it to dry?

What got you into taxidermy/how long have you been doing it?

How do you source your specimens? Is it viable to only work with roadkill or animals which have died of natural causes?

I'm also interested to hear any wisdom or tips you think are interesting or helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread