Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tank44 posted:

Re: Rams fans, I try to talk up Rams fans at Seahawks games. I lived in STL for a bit, but almost all the Rams fans I see are from SoCal. I'd bet more people in SoCal are still Rams fans than there are rams fans in Missouri.

Some do exist but they walk around wearing Cardinals gear. Or occasionally Blues stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

IIRC i think they made a deal to tear down the coliseum and build a new stadium there.

No, I didn't RC. The A's are looking into renovations at the Coliseum and moving forward with that. The Raiders can only stay in Oakland if there's a new stadium, which would be the joint "Coliseum City" with a stadium for both the Raiders and A's right next to each other. If the A's aren't on board with that plan, the Raiders don't get a stadium.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't really care where the Raiders go along as there isn't a big dumb baseball diamond in the middle of it

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
So to paraphrase what I read, the Chargers need to make up 800m on a hypothetical but reasonable 1.2b stadium. They use Qualcomm as a hypothetical site because the land is already owned. I guess the Chargers are only really open to throwing down 200m of Spanos' money and 200m on the NFL Staduium loan program. You then have to come up with 800 m which would be proposed through a sales tax hike or an income tax hike (neither of which are likely to pass with how high state tax is already). The backup option for financing is a move from 10.5% in the transient tax to 15% which is ridiculous to me. Either financing plan has to be approved by a 2/3 vote. Considering 1/3 of the county actually tunes in and youth voter turnout, I truly have my doubts.

That's even if they can decide on a loving site. The clock is ticking and they don't even really have that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

No, I didn't RC. The A's are looking into renovations at the Coliseum and moving forward with that. The Raiders can only stay in Oakland if there's a new stadium, which would be the joint "Coliseum City" with a stadium for both the Raiders and A's right next to each other. If the A's aren't on board with that plan, the Raiders don't get a stadium.

If the Raiders move they better tear down Mt. Davis and get the rad view of the hills again. That was a gorgeous baseball stadium before they added a bunch of poo poo to convince Davis to come back.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have to imagine e that the combined contributions from the NFL and the Spanoses is more than 400m

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

If the Raiders move they better tear down Mt. Davis and get the rad view of the hills again. That was a gorgeous baseball stadium before they added a bunch of poo poo to convince Davis to come back.

I don't see why they wouldn't if it was just the A's stadium.

One thing worth noting is that Mark Davis is 100% the poorest owner in the NFL, so if it comes down to three teams trying to compete for two spots at the LA Stadium, despite having the biggest fan base there, the Raiders probably lose. Unless this guy

can make friends with some hedge fund guys and F500 CEO's.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I have to imagine e that the combined contributions from the NFL and the Spanoses is more than 400m

I would think so too. That seems quite light. Do we know how much they have pledged to the Carson location? I know they said they only pledged that much because of "market opportunity" but I don't remember how much it was. There's also an interesting read about potentially bonding out 200m of the stadium which has precedent with the Convention Center. There's a number of creative ways to do this, but i'm afraid they all involve taxing the public in some way and 2/3 is a lot to ask for there.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thompson posted:

I would think so too. That seems quite light. Do we know how much they have pledged to the Carson location? I know they said they only pledged that much because of "market opportunity" but I don't remember how much it was. There's also an interesting read about potentially bonding out 200m of the stadium which has precedent with the Convention Center. There's a number of creative ways to do this, but i'm afraid they all involve taxing the public in some way and 2/3 is a lot to ask for there.

The article you posted had a solution that involves an $800MM loan to the Chargers at favorable interest rates for 30-40 years in the form of issuing bonds. That seems like a pretty good compromise, unless the Chargers ownership is deadset on moving out of the city.

The article comments also brings up asking the NFL to kick in more from its stadium loan program. I could see the owners going for that if it prevents a 3 teams in LA nightmare scenario.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
They should just leverage the gently caress out of the stadium like any sane person would

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
If San Diego isn't one of the teams moving to LA, they're absolutely hosed. There's no way there will be three teams in LA.

As a Raiders fan, I'm all for whatever gets them a stadium the fastest, though I'd be fine with a delay if they didn't have to share the stadium. If they end up moving to LA, then they move to LA, Oakland can go gently caress itself.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Volkerball posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't if it was just the A's stadium.

One thing worth noting is that Mark Davis is 100% the poorest owner in the NFL, so if it comes down to three teams trying to compete for two spots at the LA Stadium, despite having the biggest fan base there, the Raiders probably lose. Unless this guy

can make friends with some hedge fund guys and F500 CEO's.

Sam's Hofbrau is so dirty. Nothing good comes from that place.

I hate the Chargers but they belong in San Diego. If the Raiders can't afford their own stadium I'd rather they get in on the Rams plan and leave the Chargers in San Diego so the AFC West doesn't get screwed with.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think any new stadium deal in SD needs to offer a way for taxpayers to recoup some money. Historically and presently there have been bad deals for the city, so some give on the rent/revenue could go a long way.

http://voiceofsandiego.org/must-reads/fact-check-city-pays-chargers-play-qualcomm-stadium/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think 3 teams in one area is impossible, especially with how well NY's handled both the Giants and Jets. I just don't think it all happens in the same year. The problem there is 1) Kroenke has no reason to cave (poo poo, he'd be stupid if he did at this point with how much he's tried to make that LA stadium of his work), 2) as thompson said there isn't much time left for the Chargers or SD to cave, and 3) if the Raiders cave they still end up with at best a temporary poo poo home due to the whole clusterfuck with the A's.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the Raiders' history but whenever a potential team moving comes up, all the fans of said team get upset (see: Chargers fans in this case) but Raiders fans are perfectly content with the team moving to the other side of the state. I know the Raiders were in LA for awhile, but it seems like no one in Oakland cares about them, or even the fans in Oakland are like "yeah they should move" because the Coliseum is that terrible.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

seiferguy posted:

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the Raiders' history but whenever a potential team moving comes up, all the fans of said team get upset (see: Chargers fans in this case) but Raiders fans are perfectly content with the team moving to the other side of the state. I know the Raiders were in LA for awhile, but it seems like no one in Oakland cares about them, or even the fans in Oakland are like "yeah they should move" because the Coliseum is that terrible.

I'm not an Oakland native and the city has been unwilling to help in almost any meaningful way for 20 years. So I have zero allegiance to the city and just want what's best for my football team, the Coliseum is a loving disgrace. I also don't do the whole NoCal v. SoCal thing, because I'm not loving twelve years old.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

The Raider fans in Oakland I know are not content at all with it, but it's basically the polar opposite of the Colts sneaking off to Indy in the middle of the night. It's the city that is going to be held accountable for this, not Davis. They've been living off 1 year leases in one of the 2 or 3 shittiest stadiums in the entire league for like 5 years trying to get a deal done, and it's just not happening. And Oakland fans are a rabid mob who would still stab people for saying the wrong thing about the team if it moved to London.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They should just leverage the gently caress out of the stadium like any sane person would

Someone tell the Chargers where mortgage rates are

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

UCLA football has gotten a lot more attention with Jim Mora, we've been consistently top 25 ranked at the same time USC lost Pete, got hit with sanctions and sucked for awhile. We had something like a top 10 recruiting class but still got blown out by USC, who finished 2nd/3rd. It will take a long time to overcome the decades of dominance USC has had...

The raiders and chargers have massive fan bases in LA/OC. I don't know anyone who is a Rams fan, they were last here 20 years ago.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like a lot of LA-based Chargers fans are SD transplants (like myself) who fondly remember rooting for their hometown team and will be pretty pissed off about them leaving, even if it is to the city in which they currently reside. LA may have a lot of Chargers fans now, but once they move, they might lose a lot of them.

Every single San Diegan I know who lives in LA talks about how much they want to move back... the tie is to the city, not the team. the LA lifestyle and culture is just so different, and the Chargers embody that (for better or worse).

But I also root for the Kings, so I have clearly fallen into the LA trap...

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I feel like a lot of LA-based Chargers fans are SD transplants (like myself) who fondly remember rooting for their hometown team and will be pretty pissed off about them leaving, even if it is to the city in which they currently reside. LA may have a lot of Chargers fans now, but once they move, they might lose a lot of them.

Every single San Diegan I know who lives in LA talks about how much they want to move back... the tie is to the city, not the team. the LA lifestyle and culture is just so different, and the Chargers embody that (for better or worse).

But I also root for the Kings, so I have clearly fallen into the LA trap...

So when the Chargers move to LA, LA fans of the Chargers will stop being fans? Who are they going to start rooting for, the Cardinals? LA is a city of transplants. On one hand this means they have preexisting loyalties, but on the other it means a lot of locals without a die hard loyalty could be added to the fan base. I moved to LA and never really felt that connected with the Chargers, but if they moved to my city...

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As a Broncos fan in LA, I am extremely pleased with the Chargers/Raiders stadium plan. Sucks for San Diego but an extra four hour round trip to get to a game is a small price to pay for the team staying in the general vicinity.

...silver lining? :iiam:

I have no sympathy for Raiders fans.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

So when the Chargers move to LA, LA fans of the Chargers will stop being fans? Who are they going to start rooting for, the Cardinals? LA is a city of transplants. On one hand this means they have preexisting loyalties, but on the other it means a lot of locals without a die hard loyalty could be added to the fan base. I moved to LA and never really felt that connected with the Chargers, but if they moved to my city...

It's a hard emotion to explain. Rationally speaking, I should be happy about it because my team will be about 15 minutes from where I live. But it just feels wrong to continue to root for a team that betrayed the city I'm from, especially when it's such a clear money-grab. Why should I continue to support a lovely owner who clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the fans?

It feels wrong, man!!! :smith:

e: stages of grief something something

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

old dog child posted:

I have no sympathy for Raiders fans.

We're not the ones on here crying, though, so thanks for the sentiment, I guess?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

warcrimes posted:

We're not the ones on here crying, though, so thanks for the sentiment, I guess?

Yes I am sure that every Raiders fan in America is on board with this because obviously all of them live in Los Angeles...although I guess based on that tarp most of them probably do.

Both my bay area and SD buddies are crying about this on facebook, for what it's worth.

Well, thanks for telling me that you, specifically, don't care about the Raiders moving. That's cool to know.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 20, 2015

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

old dog child posted:

Yes I am sure that every Raiders fan in America is on board with this because obviously all of them live in Los Angeles...although I guess based on that tarp most of them probably do.

Both my bay area and SD buddies are crying about this on facebook, for what it's worth.

Okay?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Also, think of it this way Chargers fans - you'll never have to deal with tv blackouts again! It just might cost a few body parts to go to games now...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

There are quite a few Chargers fans in the OC area. I dont see how this could be a complete bust for the Chargers owners, but seriously gently caress them, they have been holding onto this LA Ace card for quite a while now and it finally shows.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm hope the Raiders move to LA so I can unironically wear my LA Raiders hat without looking like a douche

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Blitz7x posted:

unironically wear my LA Raiders hat without looking like a douche

impossible

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't think 3 teams in one area is impossible, especially with how well NY's handled both the Giants and Jets. I just don't think it all happens in the same year. The problem there is 1) Kroenke has no reason to cave (poo poo, he'd be stupid if he did at this point with how much he's tried to make that LA stadium of his work), 2) as thompson said there isn't much time left for the Chargers or SD to cave, and 3) if the Raiders cave they still end up with at best a temporary poo poo home due to the whole clusterfuck with the A's.

The NYC area has had 3 hockey teams for over 30 years and it's worked out well. Also there's never really been a Giants/Jets rivalry, and the Jets wanted out of Shea since they had little say there (i.e. they couldn't play home games until Mets season was over).

LA should only get the Rams or Raiders, no need to screw things up on multiple levels.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Blitz7x posted:

I'm hope the Raiders move to LA so I can unironically wear my LA Raiders hat without looking like a douche

Are you Eazy-E?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Honestly, Raiders gear looks cool as hell. No shame there. Broncos rule but it's impossible to wear the colors without looking retarded. How can you live in LA and not rock a Lakers or Raiders ballcap with one of them fancy pants stickers??

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are you Eazy-E?

haha

Vertical Lime posted:

The NYC area has had 3 hockey teams for over 30 years and it's worked out well. Also there's never really been a Giants/Jets rivalry, and the Jets wanted out of Shea since they had little say there (i.e. they couldn't play home games until Mets season was over).

LA should only get the Rams or Raiders, no need to screw things up on multiple levels.

I wish we got the Jags so I wouldn't feel like a douche supporting the hometown team

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Having had lived in San Diego for Way Too LongŠ back in the day, I don't know whether they should be happy or sad about them possibly losing the Chargers to LA. Qualcomm was never the reason that the team saw so many blackouts: the ownership never went all in on making a truly viable team and the local market knew it. Trying to blame the stadium for their woes and trying to put the taxpayers in an already expensive as gently caress city on the line for a replacement is ridiculous, and I'm glad that SD figured that poo poo out. If the AFC West hadn't been so bad for the majority of their tenure, the Chargers would have probably moved up to LA a long time ago.

Teaming up with the Raiders is a special kind of irony, though. No one in LA really gives a poo poo about the Chargers except for SD transplants, and forcing them to share a stadium with their rivals is basically going to crush any sort of fanbase for them. Spanos claims that this move is happening to protect the Chargers from losing 25% of their fans in LA once the Raiders take that territory, but the reality is that they're going to lose 70% of their fanbase by bailing on SD and another 25% when LA has a more historically viable option in the Raiders. Hell, Qualcomm is 80% Oakland fans when they're in town, why did they think moving further North would help with that? Now the Chargers will get to play 4 home and 8 away games in their divions.

If the loving Padres can maintain their fanbase better than the Chargers can, Spanos should just sell the team to Portland or Vegas as an experiment.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
All bleedin comin together: chargers leave for la, Padres can get sold to Charlotte or something, and then the Sockers will reign supreme in San Diego sports

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Great post Zurreco, I agree with your opinions.

Zurreco posted:

If the loving Padres can maintain their fanbase better than the Chargers can, Spanos should just sell the team to Portland or Vegas as an experiment.
This is key though. If the drat Padres are doing better than you, you're loving up badly.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Luckily the Padres had the best off season and are going to own(finish 3rd in the division).

:getin:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zurreco posted:

The same Padres that can't fill one tenth of their stadium unless the Giants or Dodgers are in town?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

SA2K posted:

The same Padres that can't fill one tenth of their stadium unless the Giants or Dodgers are in town?

I've never seen PetCo under 40% in person, but that's also because I only went to Cubs games or games where they had some deal like fireworks or bobbleheads or 3 for 1 so who knows? They give away at least 10% of their seats to Scripps employees and locally stationed armed forces so I don't know what to tell you. At least the Padres had that insanely good food deal back in the day, whereas Qualcomm overcharged for lovely domestics and shittier local brews.

I'd like to think that simply lowering the domestic beer pours at Qualcomm by 25% would draw more people to the games, but it's become a local habit to tailgate with cans of Natty and throw fulls cans at visiting fans.

Tzen posted:

If the drat Padres are doing better than you, you're loving up badly.

This is the poo poo that I do like.

pathetic little tramp posted:

All bleedin comin together: chargers leave for la, Padres can get sold to Charlotte or something, and then the Sockers will reign supreme in San Diego sports

I would agree, except the Gulls are coming back soonish and they were the best sports team in San Diego bar none. Cheap seats, guaranteed fights, lots of promotional events like dog night and mullet night. Most locals don't even know about the Sockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Oh man, Gulls mullet night :allears:

• Locked thread