Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Athanatos posted:

It loving sucks and is terrible and the stadium sharing is just an extra lovely topping, I'm sorry if I implied it any other way.

I was just befuddled by so many Charger fans saying they are done with the team if this happens when I look at a map and it doesn't seem like a fandom defining move.

It's harder to get between those places than it looks on the map. It's definitely doable (I've gone the other direction to go to Chargers games), but it's a way bigger pain that having the team local. And while it's true that the Chargers have a decent sized fanbase in LA, the people actually in San Diego don't view it as a LA suburb or something. It's it's own awesome city and they want it to be treated as such. A team playing in Carson isn't going to feel like it's really part of San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Raiders have a pretty big fanbase in the area from the last time they were here even after moving and being terrible, I don't think that's going to decrease dramatically once they're actually playing here again. They're the most popular franchise in the area by a pretty decent margin and always were the most logical team to move back. They didn't move the last time because no one cared about them, they moved because the stadium situation was godawful and LA was broke and had no interest in improving it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SA2K posted:

Teams that will be more popular than the LA Chargers: Raiders, Rams, USC, UCLA, Mater Dei

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Oh of course but for all the people here who have latched on to dumbass random teams (like, oh, say, the bengals) and are more interested in rooting for a local team I think they'd probably choose the one that, at this moment, is better. Maybe that's wrong though idk

You can probably get some of that, especially if they wind up being good. Though a decent number of the people cheering from seemingly random teams are doing it because either they or their family are transplants from somewhere else, so they might be less inclined to switch. But you might get some of the folks who just latched onto like the Broncos or whatever, sure.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Glass of Milk posted:

I've lived in SD my whole life and I never understood hate for LA. It's always used as some kind of bogeyman for us, and I don't get it. Both places have cool things and lovely things. But they're both more similar to each other than not

That is always true of all dumb regional rivalries.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nail Rat posted:

Why not? They were in LA forever, and that's kind of where all their fans are now.

I dunno, but I never see Rams fans anywhere. I guess because they were typically second fiddle to the Raiders and then moved to Orange County, but even living in OC I don't see them so I dunno.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I never really understood the traffic concerns

It's Southern California.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

No, I didn't RC. The A's are looking into renovations at the Coliseum and moving forward with that. The Raiders can only stay in Oakland if there's a new stadium, which would be the joint "Coliseum City" with a stadium for both the Raiders and A's right next to each other. If the A's aren't on board with that plan, the Raiders don't get a stadium.

If the Raiders move they better tear down Mt. Davis and get the rad view of the hills again. That was a gorgeous baseball stadium before they added a bunch of poo poo to convince Davis to come back.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LA is cool and good and I'm sorry that you are so cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's too bad the Padres are already a team that is horrible because this is where a team called the Padres should play

The stadium they actually play in might be the nicest one in the country, it is a tremendous waste.

• Locked thread