Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
OP owns for the Kawhi Leonard picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I grew up in SD and now live 15 minutes from the new stadium. I'd like to be able to sit here and say I won't root for them, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out hating them for long once they get up here :(

How did all the Raiders fans in LA keep rooting for them once they moved to Oakland? Weren't they all pissed off too?

Probably easier since they didn't have a long established history in LA and we're Oakland's team anyway

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If you think Seahawks fans are bad, wait until you see Raiders Fans when the team is good

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

Is that not par for the course for every professional franchise of any sport?

The Raiders are cool, I enjoy them and am jealous of their uniforms and helmets.

Historic legacy franchises up the ante. Yankees fans, Lakers fans, Red Wings fans, etc

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Am I allowed to feel pride in the Minneapolis Lakers? This is important

Why wouldn't you?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Now the mayor is talking about the Chargers abandoning generations of Chargers fans. As if the team should just sit back and wait for another failed proposal.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

I'm not sure moving an hour or 2 away is abandoning, especially when like a quarter or half of fans are in LA and OC.

It's a major city to a major city. It's like moving the Jets to Philadelphia

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

That one season thst the Chargers played in LA in 1960 formed some strong bonds and a loyal fan base up there, I agree

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

San Diego would still be in the viewing area and it's not like they are moving a flight away.

It's 1/2 of a name change and maybe less going to home games. Die hard Charger fans would still make the trip to see games I would hope.

It's not like it's a new timezone and you have to stream every game from now on and struggle to find team gear to buy near you. The team is the same, just in a slightly different spot.

You don't think Seahawks fans would be mad if they moved the team to Spokane? Or if the Browns or Bengals moved to Columbus?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Mad? gently caress yes. 100%

Abandon the team like chicken little? Probably not.

As a season ticket holder, it just really really really loving blows, man

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

It loving sucks and is terrible and the stadium sharing is just an extra lovely topping, I'm sorry if I implied it any other way.

I was just befuddled by so many Charger fans saying they are done with the team if this happens when I look at a map and it doesn't seem like a fandom defining move.

San Diegans also have an extreme inferiority complex when it comes to LA. It's not just sports, but I'd say that rooting against the Dodgers and Raiders when they were in LA, and losing the Clippers to LA plays a part.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers would be the 6th most popular football team in LA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Maybe right now, but a bunch of people will change teams. The fact that they are better, and will presumably for the near future continue to be better than the raiders is a definite plus

Teams that will be more popular than the LA Chargers: Raiders, Rams, USC, UCLA, Mater Dei

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football

Man I've seen more people wearing UCLA gear the last three years than ever

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

If the Chargers and Raiders move there, the Rams won't. They won't have 3 LA teams. There's no way.

I have to believe that this is going to make either the city of San Diego or the city of Oakland cave

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I would definitely prefer that over sharing a stadium. Especially since I'm pretty sure the A's already have their situation figured out, so if Oakland caved, it would just be for the Raiders, and could be all personalized and decked out in silver and black like the niners new stadium.

I think that might be the reason that the situation in Oakland is impossible. They can't build two stadiums at once.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

thompson posted:

I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this.

I have no idea why it needs to be a city vote. It should be a county vote.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I have to imagine e that the combined contributions from the NFL and the Spanoses is more than 400m

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

If the loving Padres can maintain their fanbase better than the Chargers can, Spanos should just sell the team to Portland or Vegas as an experiment.

The same Padres that can't fill one tenth of their stadium unless the Giants or Dodgers are in town?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

I would agree, except the Gulls are coming back soonish and they were the best sports team in San Diego bar none. Cheap seats, guaranteed fights, lots of promotional events like dog night and mullet night. Most locals don't even know about the Sockers.

Aztec basketball, bro

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Man, fans of teams that will never move coming in here and talking about how awesome and cool at is that two fanbases are about to lose their teams is a special kind of hosed up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

StarcraftM posted:

I'd prefer the Chargers stay, personally. Why can't they renovate the hell out of Qualcomm, anyway? Is it just that too far gone?

It's way too far gone. The amount of renovations you'd need to do wouldn't be cost effective

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Good news for San Diego, the GULLS ARE BACK!

omg yes

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TyrionBecomesASlave posted:

how is this even possible? the steelers and pirates built new stadiums concurrently with 100,000 less people living in the city. it pissed people off, but PNC Park is the most beautiful baseball stadium in the country. Heinz Field is nothing special, but it was designed to be fast-track built in 18 months

You can't build a tree house in California without years of red tape. Oakland in particular is insanely difficult

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

San Diego County basically said on Tuesday they'd write the chargers a check for a billion dollars for a stadium

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I guess now they're focusing more on the Qualcomm site in mission valley than the downtown site.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

thompson posted:

Are they going to destroy Qualcomm? Because where the hell are the Chargers going to play in the meantime? USD...:lol:

They'd probably play at the Q while the other stadium is being built in the parking lot

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Wouldn't it be easier and more straightforward to make Carr and Mack Chargers and send the rest of the Raiders over, I mean it would accomplish the same thing.

Are you implying that Carr is better than Rivers because lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

This is the joke.

Teams carry more than one QB, dude.

Do they really, I hadn't noticed in the past decade

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

So what you're saying is that California, though beautiful and awesome, is gross and lame.

Nah, California owns

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Parmesan Basil posted:

No, even better. I live in Iowa and I basically want for nothing in life. You just can't get this kind of living on a lovely coast.

You are the reverse MV

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I think the Rams stadium is going to get built, the Carson thing will fall through.

The Spanoses and Chargers aren't interested in being tenants in the Rams' stadium, Mark Davis doesn't give a poo poo. The Raiders and Rams will be in Inglewood, the Chargers will rot in Qualcomm.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

The stadium they actually play in might be the nicest one in the country, it is a tremendous waste.

They might be ok this year, unfortunately

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

the big football player statues are Bad, but a stadium that isn't just glass and silver metal is Good

Disagree on both

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The San Diego stadium advisory group has narrowed their efforts to focus on the Qualcomm site rather than downtown. A funding plan will be put together by late May.

The Chargers representative in attendance at the announcement of this today? Shawne Merriman. Still love you, Lights Out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Remember when he dated Tila Tequila? He must feel lucky he got the gently caress out of that.

It was a fun morning when I woke up and the first thread I saw in TFF was "Shawne Merriman beat the poo poo out of Tila Tequila"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If you don't think the climate in San Diego and Los Angeles are different, you've never been to California

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

All guidelines for everything are arbitrary.

Are you a sociology major?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

In what universe is San Diego dry and hot? I mean, sure, you might need to use the air conditioner for two weeks out of the year, but that's not a hot climate.

It's pleasant for like 350 days a year. Compared to Los Angeles which is an arid desert.

Climate chat

• Locked thread