Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

Santa Clara is an hour's drive because of traffic, though. It's only 45 miles.

Which is still not the same city of course. So, are we not accepting that New York has a football team, then? MetLife is in East Rutherford, New Jersey, which is apparently a 37 minute drive even though it's only 13 miles?

What is the limit?

gently caress Arte Moreno.

Los Angeles Angels my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think you mean the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles?

*grinds teeth*

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

That's why I don't get why the Chargers moving is such a big deal, Ross is accustomed to cheering for LA teams. The Angels, the Ducks.... don't know what NBA team he likes

Spurs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

California Angels should just play every home game in a different city within the state, as long as it has a single-A or better field.

Going back to being the California Angels is all I want

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Well I mean absent any SDSU players because the second Kawhi is out of there I imagine you're moving on

Absent that, I grew up liking the clippers because gently caress the Lakers. These days it's whatever team Lebron is on

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Lakers fans now that Kobe retired.

Nah. The Lakers fans are the one team that stays loyal in Los Angeles, especially now with Magic involved.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

To answer your question, Intruder, the reason i dont like the Chargers moving is for a few reasons.

1. They're a lot further away now
2. The act of moving a team and all the bullshit leading up to it absolutely takes a toll on the players and can affect their performance -- A lot of Chargers players said after the season that this was absolutely on their mind During the season
3. Spanos stringing the city along like he did for the last three years was bullshit
4. This one is less logical, but the Chargers just BELONG in San Diego. It still seems incredibly weird to me that they're leaving a market they own for one that doesn't want them. That, and on a more emotional level, I have tons of memories of going to games and watching games with my parents and grandparents. Watching the San Diego Chargers. Not the Los Angeles Chargers. Now that's all gone.
5. The San Diego Super Chargers song is now defunct

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Fair point. Although the gold rush was more of a norcal thing, so the Golden State Warriors... I dunno. To me, never having really given it much thought, it feels more like they belong to northern California than the whole state. But then what about the Kings?

Maybe they should be, I dunno, the Santa Ana Angels or something.

Look, man, I have a bunch of old Angels hats with the CA on them and I want them to be relevant again ok

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

The Angels are responsible for Barrold Bonds not having a ring which is a travesty

David Eckstein is better than Barry Bonds

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'm going to find you and kill you in your sleep

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

How's squandering the best hitter in baseball being the only blip of relevance since 2002 working out for you because the three titles since then tends to dull the pain

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Is this Jerry Dipoto or Billy Eppler

It's me.

Also the Giants are the only bay area team I can tolerate, mostly because of how mad Padres fans get at them

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Did someone mention rally? :smug:

Is that a patriots rally celebrating 3-28?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

No, it's a San Diego good bye rally for the Chargers :colbert:

Also, gently caress off!

Lol that many people wouldn't show up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Why does baseball not institute a salary cap system

I guess the answer is obvious, it'd be against players' collective interests in terms of getting paid as much as possible, but it would actually help most players who aren't on one of the top teams by making them much more likely to be on winning teams.

Because salary caps are dumb and should be abolished in all sports

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

hmm yes, the richest media markets should always have the best teams, that makes perfect sense

There's a bigger variance in champions in MLB than the NFL in the last 15 years. Meanwhile, the league of parity and hard salary cap has like 20 years of the afc being represented by three quarterbacks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wonder how the actual Vegas stadium will compare to the kroenkedome

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

General Dog posted:

I forgot what this thread was about, why don't the Raiders just play in UNLV's stadium for a year or two before their stadium is done? I know Davis said he wants everything to be perfect when they move in, but having a soft launch in a small stadium in their new city has got to be better than playing in front of small and likely hostile crowds in Oakland for three years. Especially since the team looks to be competitive in the short term future, why not use that as an opportunity to build some excitement and good will in Las Vegas?

Sam Boyd probably isn't up to nfl regulations.

Stub hub probably isn't either though, so who knows

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

By "we've been through this before" are you meaning that you are ignoring all the evidence that was presented to the contrary?

I think he's referring to the Raiders having lame duck seasons in Oakland before Al moving them to Los Angeles.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I've never been to StubHub but Sam Boyd is trash

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Again, season ticket requests are backed up 20k. All those people plus whoever currently has tickets aren't going to disappear when the product on the field is entering a really good phase. There's a chance the Raiders make it to/win a SB before they move, people aren't going to pass that up.

Maybe they shouldn't tarp off the upper deck if they have such a backlog

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Has that ever really been tested though?

Lakers games continue to be sold out over the last four years while it's hard for the Clippers to sell out when they have a good team

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

have raiders play in the la colluseum for a year or two because why not

Can't have three teams play there

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Well, Dean and Mark DID want to share a stadium in Carson

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

I've been to plenty of hockey games. I've never seen anything happen in hockey like a pick 6 in overtime live. No comparison.

There is nothing that compares to an nhl game live. The NFL is a sport to watch on TV. Hockey is non stop action. Nothing the NFL does can compare

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

It depends on the situation. There's no situation in sports I'd rather watch live than NHL playoff overtime, but it's not always edge of your seat like that. Halfway through the first period hockey is kinda boring.

I'd say there's more action compared to the time you're there, especially compared to football's start and stop nature, and a billion commercials. In hockey the game is still GOING pretty much constantly, while baseball is pretty boring to follow and basketball is almost as start and stop as football is, since blowing on someone is a foul

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Soccer has like a combined 8 shots on goal per game in 90 minutes and hockey has like 60 combined shots per game in 60 minutes. One of those is dull and the other is constant action

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

The Bay Area is just a monolithic expanse of business parks, tech campuses and identical strip malls anchored by Targets.

Levis could be 5 or 50 miles outside SF and it makes no difference because nothing matters its all the same endless hellscape of $3000 2Br/2Ba apartments

You really are becoming LA.

A more expensive LA

• Locked thread