Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ross Angeles posted:

Goodell and the NFL aren't going to send the Raiders back to Oakland with no options. Part of the Rams/Chargers moving to LA will probably come with them giving money to increase the NFL's loan to the Raiders to build a stadium in Oakland

If the Raiders build a new stadium in Oakland, I will sell my Santa Clara PSLs and become a Raiders fan. :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I am 100% prepared to become a crazy cosplaying Raiders fan, I just don't want to accidentally end up rooting for a SoCal team.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I know several fine people in/from San Diego and have no objection to your continued possession of an NFL franchise.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

a Kings team that has won twice in the last five years

Lost my bearings and thought you were talking about Sacramento for a second here.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean, I'm sure there are good books on the sociology of urban rivalries, but it's pretty hilarious that a sports fan of all people would not understand this poo poo intuitively. It really has nothing to do with concrete differences and conflicts between the cities.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

This reads really badly but I agree with nearly every point in it.

I'll probably end up rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers though because having to familiarize myself with a new team is a lot of work

Have you considered rooting for the San Francisco 49ers? Almost none of our players are worth familiarizing yourself with anyway!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Being pedantic about cities vs. their close-in suburbs is silly. That said, Santa Clara is not a close-in suburb of San Francisco. It is an incorporated suburb of San Jose, a nearby but completely different city.

The stadium is actually a huge pain in the rear end to get to from SF. It is not a "50 minute drive" by any stretch, at least not on game days, because you either leave early enough to avoid the traffic (which, y'know, doesn't actually mean you don't count the extra time you spend waiting at the stadium) or you crawl through standstill traffic for an hour. I was fortunate enough to live near BART on the southern side of the city, and it still took about two and a half hours to get there on public transit. Just the final train ride from Mountain View takes over thirty minutes. It's faster to get there from Oakland.

I agree that a lot of the anger is because the Niners have been terrible, but San Francisco is not wrong to feel like it got abandoned.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Really? Bart to Millbrae from wherever you were in south SF was probably like 15 minutes,

Glen Park. 25 minutes. It would be a bit over 20 minutes on a weekday, but on Sundays the trains stop at SFO.

Leperflesh posted:

and then what, did you not check a train schedule in advance to time your arrival to a scheduled train?

Millbrae is not a planned transfer station, and BART frequently runs a few minutes behind schedule. If I was feeling adventurous, there was a BART I could take that theoretically provided like a 3 minute transfer window. IIRC, our history with that was: once, BART actually got there on time and we were able to comfortably transfer; twice, we successfully caught Caltrain by sprinting; and once, we missed it and sat around in the station for thirty minutes waiting for the next (non-express) train. The better option was more like a 15-20 minute wait, and it was worth it because the difference between catching a bullet and not was huge.

Leperflesh posted:

Caltrain from Millbrae to Mountain View is as you said a little over half an hour. They run extra baby bullets on game days so you shouldn't have had to wait that long.

Around 35 minutes. The extra trains were expresses, but they weren't, like, weekday commuter expresses. It was, let's see: Millbrae, San Mateo, Hillsdale, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View.

Leperflesh posted:

And then you take the VTA light rail to the stadium from Mountain View... which on game days should be the "VTA 49ers Express" service... how long does that take?

According to their schedule, around 25 minutes. I think they finally started expressing those trains sometime this last season; before, they would hilariously stop at every single station on the way, despite the train being packed to capacity, and despite those stations all being empty because it was Sunday and most of them are office parks. But the expressing doesn't save that much time, because the train isn't very fast and has to obey traffic signals. And usually we spent 10-15 minutes in Mountain View just waiting for that train to actually leave.

So 10 minutes to BART, a few minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to Millbrae, 15 minutes of waiting, 35 minutes to Mountain View, 10 minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to the stadium stop. A bit over 2 hours if there weren't any delays. I think the 2.5hr figure is how long before the game we had to leave. Oh, and then we had to get back, of course, which was generally slower because it took forever to ever get away from the stadium. I think we got home in as little as 90 minutes once by just saying gently caress it, walking fifteen minutes to get mostly out of the traffic, and getting an Uber home at only a 50% surge rate.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yuck. Part of the sell for putting the stadium in Santa Clara was that the site was supposedly already well integrated into public transit.

The funny thing is that it kind of is, for everyone who isn't from San Francisco (or Marin, I guess). If you're in the South Bay, it's right on VTA, which is as good as you're going to get. If you're in the East Bay, it's right on ACE. Hell, if you're somewhere down the Peninsula, driving to MV isn't too bad, and neither is the one transfer from Caltrain. It's actually just specifically terrible from the city.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

That's loving hilarious considering how far it is from San Francisco.

To be clear, it's nowhere near the San Francisco airport. It is so far from San Francisco that it's next to the airport for a completely different city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can't just use eminent domain to take random things you like that happen to be in your city. Even under Kelo, there are limits.

• Locked thread