Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I grew up in SD and now live 15 minutes from the new stadium. I'd like to be able to sit here and say I won't root for them, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out hating them for long once they get up here :(

How did all the Raiders fans in LA keep rooting for them once they moved to Oakland? Weren't they all pissed off too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

MourningView posted:

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football.

:orks:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

They should just leverage the gently caress out of the stadium like any sane person would

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like a lot of LA-based Chargers fans are SD transplants (like myself) who fondly remember rooting for their hometown team and will be pretty pissed off about them leaving, even if it is to the city in which they currently reside. LA may have a lot of Chargers fans now, but once they move, they might lose a lot of them.

Every single San Diegan I know who lives in LA talks about how much they want to move back... the tie is to the city, not the team. the LA lifestyle and culture is just so different, and the Chargers embody that (for better or worse).

But I also root for the Kings, so I have clearly fallen into the LA trap...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

So when the Chargers move to LA, LA fans of the Chargers will stop being fans? Who are they going to start rooting for, the Cardinals? LA is a city of transplants. On one hand this means they have preexisting loyalties, but on the other it means a lot of locals without a die hard loyalty could be added to the fan base. I moved to LA and never really felt that connected with the Chargers, but if they moved to my city...

It's a hard emotion to explain. Rationally speaking, I should be happy about it because my team will be about 15 minutes from where I live. But it just feels wrong to continue to root for a team that betrayed the city I'm from, especially when it's such a clear money-grab. Why should I continue to support a lovely owner who clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the fans?

It feels wrong, man!!! :smith:

e: stages of grief something something

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Oh man, Gulls mullet night :allears:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Mexico City deserves a team more than LA does.

Why

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Flikken posted:

It's safer.

Interesting. You must be really worried about getting insulted.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Actually maybe you're right. The Raiders would fit well in Mexico City. The crime would fit the punishment.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

The worst thing about that jersey is that the numbers aren't even aligned correctly. How loving hard is it, guy.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

The whole thing just looks like it lacks any real plan or design aside from "put a bunch of square buildings into a place"

It just looks so uninspired and boring

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Rasczak posted:

It's okay because rams frequently live in arid regions and can rely solely on ingesting grasses and shrubs for hydration

What if there is no grass. What then!!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Applying for relocation doesn't actually mean they'll get approved... Right??? :smith:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Reject deans proposal roger. Build the stadium

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

LA is a good city.

The thread title disagrees, thus your hypothesis is scientifically disproven!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

They are not worth it, imho

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

pathetic little tramp posted:

Chargers have basically no winning moves at this point - I know multiple die-hard fans here who just stopped watching football this year. It'd be one thing if they had had a decent season, but people are pissed off at Spanos, pissed off at the team for being a flaming shitstorm of horrible losers who suck, and pissed off at the city in general for the ridiculous mark-up to watch a team of useless babies flail around in a lovely broken-down stadium. The soul of football is dying a gruesome death in San Diego, and what's the Chargers' solution? Move to Los Angeles. Where basically no one wants them.

At this point if they don't move to LA and have to move back to SD, they've damaged their reputation and are hosed. If they do move to LA, even less people will care and they're hosed.

I kinda feel this way as well. I'm an SD transplant living in LA and I stopped watching the games this year. I've lived, gone to school and worked in LA for 7 years and I don't know a single Chargers fan in LA who isn't a SD transplant. And those people have told me they won't root for a team who a)forsakes their hometown and b)is run by a terrible, greedy scumbag like Dean Spanos.

If they get their proposal rejected and stay in SD, AND Dean remains the owner, who the hell will root for them? I know I won't. He's just going to keep trying to leave.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I just don't see why the city should have to pay for the stadium, period. LA isn't going to pay for the Carson stadium, why should cities like SD who are too broke to fix potholes shovel cash into Spanos' pockets? SD has had its issues in the past 15 years with the pension crisis and lovely leaders, and now that they seem to be turning a new leaf, a billionaire comes in and demands a bunch of cash. If that's how the NFL works these days then good riddance. It's been like this for quite a while and to be honest I'm glad someone stood up to them and called their bluff.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Mark doesn't have 500 million period. Seems to me the best case in that situation would be the Chargers and Rams going to LA, with owners then coming together to help the Raiders add more funds to get a deal in Oakland, where the Raiders sell tickets fine and where their brand works.

There is no best case that involves a fan base losing their team.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I recently got into a discussion with an Angelino about the Chargers moving to LA. The thing that pissed me off the most about this conversation was this quote: "San Diego clearly doesn't want the Chargers, if they did, they would have paid up years ago. The city should have just given them what they want if they love the Chargers so much."

Since when is being a fan of a team also the same thing as being willing to pay massive taxes to keep said team? This pisses me off the most about the whole situation. The City of San Diego can't even elect officials who don't end up in jail, much less fix simple potholes and provide basic services. If I'm a taxpayer in SD, OF COURSE I want to keep the team, they're my hometown team and I will root for them provided they're in SD. But just because I love the Chargers doesn't mean I'll also direct scarce public resources to subsidize them.

I have a feeling that if somehow this ends up going to a vote here, people will shoot it down. And frankly they should, but it won't be because we don't "want the Chargers", it'll be because the NFL is run by a bunch of greedy fuckers and we've had enough. And that's the distinction a lot of people are missing here.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I, for one, think the Raiders do not own.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm keeping my Tomlinson jersey :catbert:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress you too Roger

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Rick posted:

I'm not totally sure any of these moves displace USC as the premiere football brand in Southern California.

hahah "premiere" you clearly haven't been living here for a while

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Go Gauchos.

Speaking of shitholes...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Santa Barbara is the most exact opposite of a shithole city on the California coast and they work hard to keep the poors and the businesses out to keep it that way.

Santa Barbara sure. Isla vista on the other hand...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

Couldnt the Chargers stay in SD and just call themselves the LA Charges.

As a finance professional, I can say that yes, this Simple Fix would easily result in 2.0x the current Chargers valuation, which is Dean's ultimate goal anyway. It worked for the Angels!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

excellent, now let the meteor come

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Raiders to SD, calling it

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

A White Guy posted:

Goodbye Chargers, and honestly, good loving riddance. So long as the Spanos family owns the Chargers, I doubt they will ever see a ring.

For the Spanos family, a good season is how profitable they were and how their net worth went up. Wins are a nice side bonus.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

It really is the difference between an independently wealthy businessman buying a team versus an owner whose sole asset is the team. Everything becomes financial rather than emotional and about winning. And unfortunately Dean is not wrong about his plan to move to LA. It WILL increase his stake's value, potentially by 2.0x.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Ozu posted:

Not knowing much about L.A, I take it Carson is far more remote than Inglewood?

It's remote relative to downtown, but the money is on the west side/beverly hills, which Carson is connected to via the 405. In traffic, they're both an hour away from anything resembling a major business hub.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

Can all the people saying LA sucks post where they live? Cos I don't live in LA but it looks a lot nicer than where I do live :smith:

Going to be great when in 5 years the owners want out of LA again.

Lawndale. It's ghetto as hell and I want to leave.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jeffdotseth/status/687057203400867840

:agreed:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So they basically punted on working out any actual details of how this will work....

nice job dean

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

a real jerk posted:

sucks for charger fans.

Better than it being a done deal. The devil will be in the details here, and Dean may have a lot more to lose by shacking up with Stan than just staying in SD.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

If Kroenke can just not negotiate in good faith on the lease with either team, couldn't he just de-facto own LA by himself? Like what's to stop him from just being a dick at the lease negotiations?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

It really seems like the most pressing issue was completely neglected today. If the Inglewood plan were to include a 2nd tenant, the terms of that deal should have been priority numero loving uno. Yet they just punted, effectively giving Kroenke complete control of the situation.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Kroebnke is actually a baller, perfect fit for this toilet of a town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Top Hats Monthly posted:

LA is a hellhole with good PR.

Thank you.