Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Konstantin posted:

Have they solved the traffic issues? From what I understand weeknight games in any location that isn't downtown would cause massive traffic jams that would last for hours and affect large areas of the city.

Maybe they're just saying "gently caress it the city is awful anyway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MourningView posted:

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football.

Why not? They were in LA forever, and that's kind of where all their fans are now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Although isn't there a worry about fractions? On a smaller scale, Minneapolis-St. Paul has Hockey and Basketball running side by side, hockey is more popular by a long long shot and the Basketball team is always on life support. If there's three LA teams, aren't you just essentially dividing down the amount of fans by a lot? I get that NYC has two teams but still :shrug:

It all depends on how much people embrace the teams. I feel like NYC could support a third team for example.

While you may be dividing up the fans in terms of who's buying merchandise, you're talking about the ability to (theoretically) fill 24 large stadiums full per year where those three teams don't sell as many tickets (again, in theory). If they sell an extra 20k tickets per game averge, that comes out to almost a half a million extra tickets sold. Per year.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

axeil posted:

So if they both move wouldn't one team have to switch divisions/conferences? I can't see two teams from the same division in the same stadium being viable.

I still like the idea of finding a fourth. AFC Los Angeles division.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The average person still buys that "economic benefit" of sports teams bullshit. As if Americans will save their money without a sports team, instead of just spending more at the bar or department store.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Volkerball posted:

I guess the moral is that only midwesterners who took off for LA to pursue an acting career read the LA times.

:confused: There are a lot more Raiders fans in the midwest than Rams fans. It's not even close.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

NC-17 posted:

What's the backstory behind those photos?

A lot of alcohol and a really bad team

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Do you need an arena lease or can you play ABA games at the local YMCA?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tricky Ed posted:

I don't think the drought really is a consideration. Compared to the 27,000,000+ acres of farmland that currently use 80% of the state's water, a football field in LA isn't a blip on the radar.

Plus the water they use for concessions is shipped from the Annheiser Busch breweries in other states anyway

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Eifert Posting posted:

What if the Chargers demanded 100% public funding but made powder blues the standard uniforms?

Hell I'd pitch in a hundred bucks for this

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They'd probably play in some college stadium in 2016 (and possibly 2017) like the Oilers Titans did.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I would assume the real reason that they try not to have two teams from the same market in the same conference is to try to create more unique matchups with other teams. If there are two LA teams and 3/4 of all their games go against the same half of the league, that might not be as good for ratings as if they're in separate conferences and essentially any market has a pretty good chance of playing an LA team in any given year. They'd probably much rather the Jets and Giants play a NY team just about every other year rather than the Jets play each of them about every other year and the Giants play each of them every four years.

Baseball pretty much does the same thing and it's the only other sport (that matters) that has two separate conferences/leagues with their own west and east divisions, etc.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 13, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would like to see something other than Mike Florio's "sources."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grittybeard posted:

gently caress Isaac Bruce for religiously making GBS threads on Derrick Thomas though.

Man this is one bizarre mental image I did not need.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It'll be funny if they build two giant stadiums and then no one is allowed to move there.

Then they could blow them up for a movie or something, or in the case of the Carson one, stage gladiatorial combat there to fit the dystopian landscape.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bip Roberts posted:

Maybe St Louis can ask for the Cardinals back if they're butt hurt about their team being stolen back.

I think Chicago might ask for them back then, there are probably enough people sick of the Bears for two teams again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yudo posted:

There is a sucker born every minute, sure. That said, there is rather widespread consensus that the economic benefits of building stadiums are nowhere near as advertised and many a city government is broke.

The problem with this theory is most city councils/governors don't actually care about whether they're being financially responsible. It's not their money, after all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Raiders to SD, calling it

Ross's nightmare

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

oldskool posted:

Chargers & Raiders move to LA, and Kroenke sells the Rams to buy the Broncos.

Wait if one of the Chargers or Raiders moves to the NFC West, who moves to the AFC West?

I would think Seattle, that's where they're originally from anyhow.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Won't this just fall apart when they try to figure out who "TBD" is?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mark Davis saw his shadow, another six years of overflowing toilets.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ammanas posted:

the Rams played there longer than they played in St Louis.

More than twice as long, actually.

I agree with you on Oakland standing firm. Public financing for billionaires to make more money from stadiums needs to end. The stadiums do not provide economic benefit anywhere on par with the tax money given. People will go to bars or restaurants either way, they're not going to save money. This is America and we will just piss all our money away some way, somehow.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Chargers are real dumb if they move in 2017 after the Rams have had a year to get back in the mindshare of LA.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Why should Oakland's politicians offer them anything? Pro sports do not actually offer an economic benefit(every single reputable study shows that they do not), and Oakland is not a rich city. Mark Davis is a very rich guy worth over half a billion dollars, despite being the "brokest" owner.

Cities give owners plenty in terms of a television market and legions of idiots like you and me willing to pay a hundred dollars for a jersey, eighty dollars for a bad seat, seven dollars for a hot dog and ten dollars for a lovely beer.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 13, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How's he going to pay the $550 million relocation fee without selling the team?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

State and local politics would become even more hilarious.

If I am elected, we'll make it a priority to fix the offensive line!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DariusLikewise posted:

We can either hire a few more police officers or re-sign Drew Brees

Re-sign Drew Brees with a clause that he spends ten hours a week on patrol.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just leave the roof off the stadium and have planes fly through it, problem solved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Febreeze posted:

London

Now that the NFL finally got a team to LA I fully expect London will be the bullshit negotiation tactic

quote:

Yeah, but the easy teardown of that is there will never be a team in London.

A London team will definitely happen at some point, that's exactly why starting in 2017(2018?) there will be 8 NFL games played in London each year. It's a full scale test run for a team.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

I don't see Chicago in there. List invalid.

I live in Chicago and love it, but it kind of sucks. There's at least 2/3 of the city where you can't go unless you're okay with maybe being shot, and you have to travel hundreds of miles for any interesting geographical features aside from the lake and river.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I live here in the UK. I feel I can say, with a degree of confidence, the man on the street here does not give a solitary poo poo about gridiron football.

They sell out the international games because it's a novelty. Give it one or two seasons of a local team not making the playoffs, it'll make Levi's Stadium look like Lambeau.

Whether it's a good idea or the locals care is immaterial to the fact it's happening. The league put a team in Jacksonville. Not every decision they make is going to be smart.

Just look at the way they're increasing the number of games per year and the fact it will literally be 8 per year in a couple years. It is happening if those 8 games all sell out several years in a row, book it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sharzak posted:

I really wish the Mormons would let the NFL put a dang team in Salt Lake.

...like, in the lake? Because I'll offer up the Colts to be drowned if that's what you mean.

quote:

I would love to see how Utah's liqour laws would work for a stadium

Probably the same as they work for the Jazz. I'm sure one person in SAS has been to a Jazz game and can educate us.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

For any old people from St. Louis: was it really confusing having the baseball Cardinals and the football Cardinals? Like in September/October

:v: "I'm going to go to the Cardinals game this weekend."
:haw: "Cool, who's pitching?"
:v: "Uh...Lomax."

Or

:v: "Hey man, I've got free Cardinals tickets! You want to go?"
:haw: "Hell yeah! Who are they playing?"
:v: "The Browns!"
:negative: "Oh, those Cardinals. Actually, I have to wash my car."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

Also, St. Louis should try and get a CFL expansion team.

CFL in the US crashed super hard super fast.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sba posted:

@Alex_Flanagan
NFL has framework of a stadium deal between the rams/chargers. Chargers vetting it now and barring anything unforeseen, plan on going to LA

That was fast.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Intruder posted:

Won't you just get shoehorned into either the Bears or Chiefs now

Indianapolis is closer to St Louis than either city and I think Cardinals fans would rather die than cheer a Chicago team. But probably chiefs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The only way Kroenke doesn't own LA is if the Raiders come. I just don't see how or why anyone here without a team would voluntarily choose the Chargers over the Rams as their team of choice.

Because they might actually have a quarterback for a couple years, and they have a cooler song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

kiimo posted:

Forcing the South Side of Chicago to root for the Cubs would be so hilarious.

They learned to like the Bears after the Cardinals left :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Apparently no one cares, because this is the #9 story on ESPN, right under Ray Rice coaching college running backs and Antwaan Randle El being all messed up from football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The quality of play would depend on the owners, not the players. The NFL CBA gives players almost no power and since free agency was implemented, every single new agreement takes more power from them and gives it to the owners, so you pretty much have to expect that trend will continue in the next agreement, which will happen before 2022.

The players they draft will be there 4-6 years minimum if they are players they want to keep...at present, 7 years minimum if it's a first round draft pick worthy of a franchise tag (fifth year option after the initial four year deal, then two franchise tags before they become untaggable).

The bottom line is that it could lose the NFL a lot of money, but it also could gain them much MORE money if it succeeds, and if down the line they could put more franchises in Europe, they could remove the scheduling unpleasantries, increase revenue exponentially, and increase the talent pool enough that further expansion not only doesn't dilute the talent pool, the pool is stronger than it currently is with essentially just the US.

I mean, we all agree it probably won't work. But it theoretically could, and the NFL has so much money it's not much skin off their back if it fails. I think this is what they're thinking.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread