Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

fyallm posted:

I know the NHL has about 10 more teams than the MLS.

But attendance wise:

NHL averaged 17,439 in 2016 and MLS averaged 21,692...

Sure there are other factors to talk about for major sports (especially worth and revenue) but I thought the attendance numbers were interesting.

Also there are more than twice as many games in an NHL season. That's a rather important factor.

NFL teams wouldn't be getting 60,000 attendees if there were 4 home games in a week sometimes. Not saying that NHL is anywhere close to NFL but it's way more popular than MLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

I used 2016-2017 NHL Attedance which averaged out to 20.7 games and 2016 MLS which averaged to 17 games

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

Uhhhhhhhh you're missing my point.

There are 82 games in an NHL season. There are 32 games in an MLS season. 41 home games for NHL, 16 for MLS. MLS season is over, 2016-2017 NHL is only halfway done.

Since there are significantly fewer MLS games, the sport can have a higher average attendance and still be less popular, because you have more people overall going to NHL games by a wide margin. You need far fewer fans to sell 21,000 seats 16 times versus 18,000 seats 41 times.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 12, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

But since there aren't 82 MLS games, we technically don't know if the fans would fill it as many times. So I don't see how you can say it is less popular only because it has fewer games?

I was just trying to base it off attendance. If you start talking about team valuation or money then the argument goes away completely.

Because if they could sell 42,000 seats to sell ~750k tickets over the course of the season like NHL teams do on average, they would build stadiums that held that many people. Teams in the UK play in front of crowds bigger than the NFL.

Yeah there are season ticket holders and whatnot but what I'm saying is average attendance doesn't mean much when one team plays once a week and one team plays 3-4 times a week. Most people are not going to go to sporting events 3 times in a week even if they are big fans. Hell most will only go to a couple games a year regardless of the sport.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

If there were 82 soccer games with only a squad of 11 that play regularly they would die on the field.

This has nothing to do with what you quoted at all, but let's stop this derail. Soccer's a very lovely sport.

quote:

Lol now they're backing off on that Logo and saying it's a "work in progress" and "not approved by the NFL" (because the "Internet tore out asses")

Could they even use that logo without redoing their uniforms to not feature yellow so prominently? It'd be weird to have a blue and white logo that doesn't use yellow at all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

mike- posted:

That's fair and I agree that it isn't a good trend, but I don't think the Rams attendance from the past season is an indicator that they or the chargers are going to have issues selling psl in the new stadium.

I think the Chargers absolutely will.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raku posted:

What I don't get is how stupid they are for letting this happen. Like... did they not see how empty the stadium was at the end of the Rams season? Did they think that was just because they didn't have a loving star player there like Phillip Rivers?

Both of these teams are going to move again within a decade.

London Rams, Glasgow Chargers

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Would that effectively be Goldman Sachs giving a giant rear end loan to the Davis family?

If so, I would imagine part of the repayment will be the stadium being Goldman Sachs Stadium/Field.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

iospace posted:

:barf:

I hate corporate stadiums name that have absolutely nothing to with sports. Names like Heinz Field, Miller Park, or Busch Stadium are cool. Why? Well all three involve things at a game: ketchup or beer.

To be fair, it's kind of getting to the point you need to liquidate assets to go to an NFL game, so Goldman Sachs might be appropriate.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Who's ready to FIGHT FOR LA

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I wonder which team Dean Spanos hates the most. I would become a fan of that team. Probably the Raiders?

Possibly the Rams soon, but Raiders are the safe bet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why wouldn't they just swap their names and everything at that point?

I still don't understand how you can have two teams with blue and yellow as their primary colours in the same city.

There's no reason for the Raiders to stop being the Raiders, they have fans all over not just in Oakland (or LA).

quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Oakland isn't some 3rd world uncivilized city that's going to riot over the Raiders moving

Haven't Raiders posters said a large chunk of the fans at O.co fly in from out of town? If so, I don't see why they would care that they'll be flying to Vegas instead of Oakland.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 14, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

WE WILL FIGHT FOR LA. ALL OF LA. EVERY INCH. EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD. FIGHT.

I don't know what they're fighting though. I guess the Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Steelers, and Packers?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

And games are played on weekends which is already the busiest period in Vegas.

Let me tell you about the wonder (ously terrible) spectacle that is Thursday Night Football - Thursday Night Edition.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Everyone should use it out of spite

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Supposedly the trophies and the photo were only there for the public memorial. That's a shame.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't imagine how they're gonna sell the Chargers to people in LA. Seems like it's gonna be even more lopsided PSL wise than Giants/Jets.

San Diego has basically signed up to be the bitchy little brother in a way the 90s Clippers could only dream of.

I kind of feel like they won't be able to sell any PSLs at all. They're going to have the hardest time selling tickets of maybe any team and there are multiple teams that don't do PSLs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

This was a good day for the Vegas Golden Knights.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So I take it the reason he doesn't drink is because he's a non-functioning alcoholic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just have the Raiders be not based in any city and drop from a giant helicopter for their games like Dethklok.

Pirates don't put down roots anyhow.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I'm originally from Dallas and a Cowboys fan at heart but I've lived here in Vegas for 14 years now with no plans of leaving anytime soon. I was kind of looking forward to the Raiders moving here and being my secondary/AFC team, but wouldn't really mind if they stayed in Oakland either.

I just think it's simultaneously depressing and really loving hilarious Vegas got used for leverage yet again :homebrew:

At least you have the most clownboat NHL franchise now

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'd believe this if it was Al Davis

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Athanatos posted:

That is a long time for a lame duck team to play in front of fans in Oakland

They'll still have more fans than the Golden Knights, 3 years before they actually play in Vegas.

quote:

Maybe Al is alive on life support in a secret base under the coliseum.

Sounds unsanitary to be honest

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

People vote for their perceived self-interest, and while only some a minority of people have kids in public schools at any given time, most people needs sports to distract them from the drudgery of their lives.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I just still can't believe they're planning on playing THREE lame duck seasons. I mean, really? There's not a high school field you could use or something instead?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fukushima kami-krazy war boys

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Plenty of people say they should be the NJ Jets and Giants. I mean, they practice in NJ, they play in NJ, and the team offices are in NJ.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19029448/oakland-alameda-coliseum-stadium-authority-want-oakland-raiders-2019

Well, if they don't want to play in UNLV's stadium, they might have to play somewhere other than Oakland in 2019.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Oakland/Las Vegas/Oklahoma City Raiders

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

a neat cape posted:

Nah. The Lakers fans are the one team that stays loyal in Los Angeles, especially now with Magic involved.

Has that ever really been tested though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Metapod posted:

i'm glad we can agree that soccer owns and hockey blows

Hockey is the best sport, soccer may be the worst

• Locked thread