Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Korranus posted:

So what does this do to the Rams? Can LA support three NFL teams?

I don't see any way it affects the Rams. Kroenke already has land for his stadium, and they're a vote away from being allowed to build it. He's likely getting what he wants anyway. Chargers and Raiders are just fighting for a second stadium to be built in the city that they could both play in. As long as a good portion of each fanbase sticks with the team and watches on TV, ratings will be up, and the two stadiums should at least get frequent decent attendance, albeit not sellouts. Rams would probably be at best the second-most popular NFL team there if they aren't the only ones to go, but they're already not the most popular sports team in St Louis anyway so that's not a shocking development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think 3 teams in one area is impossible, especially with how well NY's handled both the Giants and Jets. I just don't think it all happens in the same year. The problem there is 1) Kroenke has no reason to cave (poo poo, he'd be stupid if he did at this point with how much he's tried to make that LA stadium of his work), 2) as thompson said there isn't much time left for the Chargers or SD to cave, and 3) if the Raiders cave they still end up with at best a temporary poo poo home due to the whole clusterfuck with the A's.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Carson city council approved the stadium idea 3-0

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/City-County-Officials-to-Provide-Stadium-Update-307937331.html

quote:

A day after Chargers' special counsel nixed the idea of a December ballot measure for the stadium, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer called on the team to "prove they want to stay in their hometown."

At a press conference Wednesday, City and County leaders said their door was wide open for discussion, even as the Chargers appeared to criticize current stadium plans.

The remarks come a day after Chargers' special counsel Mark Fabiani's claim that a "legally defensible" stadium measure on a December ballot would be impossible, comments made after Faulconer called a two-hour meeting with the Chargers Tuesday morning "a productive exchange."

I'm sorry Ross

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Has SA left the denial stage of grief yet

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@AlbertBreer
Giants owner John Mara tells @WFAN660 he believes there will be two teams in LA in 2016. Mara is one of 6 members of the NFL's LA committee.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm sorry

You might as well stop posting after this season, because otherwise there's no chance you escape Ross Angeles Chargers puns for at least another decade

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Owners meeting next week to discuss selling season tickets to LA fans

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

Lol if the Chargers get stuck in San Diego after burning every bridge

And it happens immediately after overpaying a bigot that's never getting them a Super Bowl

I'm sorry Ross, but this has just become the funniest saga in 2015 football and this is the perfect ending to it all

Metapod posted:

The best way for this to end

Actually, the only way it could get better is if the mayor records the apology the owner personally makes to him and leaks the audio to ESPN

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Raiders and Rams gonna share a stadium probably. I'm cool with that.

The least murderous option

JRizzle posted:

DISAGREE

I'm sorry, JRizzle

St Louis is now the place teams will threaten to move to for the next few decades

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

warcrimes posted:

You must have forgotten the 9ers or T*m Brady exists.

Kaep hasn't been benched for Gabbert yet, and Brady hasn't lost in court yet, so either/both of those sagas can get much lower and much funnier still

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LA or San Antonio, come on down

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LA Rams Superb Owl ride starts now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

His last years of life and bad decisions were completely excused in my book. He did enough good and pissed off enough commissioners for enough years (ie did enough good) that a pass for anything else was beyond earned.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare: holy poo poo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

San Diego will have enough time to fix that shithole of a stadium for when the LA Chargers bomb in ticket sales and move back

lol if you think there's any universe where that city is caving in any way to any demands ever again if the Chargers crawl back to them after this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Some will quit following the league altogether and be free from the shackles of this hellhole we're trapped in

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's funny that this whole shitshow of a situation would be cured by everyone doing what they actually want to do.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

the Raiders stay in Oakland with a new stadium

This isn't what Oakland actually wants to do though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Maybe nobody goes to LA and everyone signs 1 year deals in their own cities

loving lol if you actually want to go through with this poo poo every year

I'm not even a fan of one of the teams considering moving, and watching this ordeal for just a few months was exhausting and heartbreaking

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

b-minus1 posted:

The Rams are going to move to LA and go 13-3 the first year, and I will kill myself.

On the bright side it ain't happening this season because Fisher's still there and Case Keenum's starting

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zen death robot posted:

It's kind of interesting that Kroenke went so far as to say that nearly every city in the US is better suited for an NFL team than St Louis. I don't know if that'll effect the eventual vote at all but that's a hell of a thing to essentially pitch to that a city is poisonous to the league.

He doesn't give a poo poo. At least now he's admitting it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Even though it was the most obvious thing in the world, Kroenke ending up being the only person in this whole loving debacle who actually got what he wanted is still amazing to me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shyduck posted:

Side note, we can embed tweets now, by using the URL when clicking on the tweet and clicking 'Copy link to Tweet'
code:
[url]https://twitter.com/BartHubbuch/status/687088040276197376[/url]
https://twitter.com/BartHubbuch/status/687088040276197376

I didn't want to risk the chance of that treasure ever being deleted

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

What do we do with the fake Browns team then? London?

Send them to Detroit

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Febreeze posted:

All places are bad

We all die

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

The San Diego Chargers are hoping hotel guests will help foot the bill for a new downtown stadium, according to a financing plan the team is seriously considering.

The financing plan also involves the construction of a hybrid stadium and convention center.

Currently, hotel visitors have a ten-and-a-half-percent tax on their room. The Chargers want that raised another six-percent, with five-percent of that going towards the new stadium.

The remaining one-percent would go into a tourism marketing fund to promote San Diego. The goal would be to fill up the hotels with guests.

Attorney and San Diego State lecturer Seth Kaplowitz said the Chargers' plan has a lot of moving parts. He said it is too early to know if those parts will ever fit together, like getting hoteliers to support the higher tax.

"I see this as an uphill battle. That additional room cost is going to make tourists shy away from coming to San Diego," said Kaplowitz.

A Chargers source confirmed that they are "in the process of speaking with the entire range of parties" that would be involved with this project; however, "at this moment, that option does not have the support of key players."

As for the November ballot, because it is a citizen's initiative and not by the government, the Chargers may only need a simple majority to pass, but an official ruling on that still has to be determined.

The Chargers estimate the hotel tax would bring in $350 million. The team itself would contribute $350 million, and the NFL has promised $300 million, giving the project one billion dollars in funding.

The mayor's office said it would not comment until the Chargers proposal is officially released.

Councilman David Alvarez released a statement saying he had not seen the proposal, but called what he has heard so far "disturbing" and urges voters to approach it with great caution.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ESPN posted:

The authority that operates O.co Coliseum has approved a new lease extension for the Oakland Raiders that more than triples the team's rent to use the stadium and its training facility in nearby Alameda.

The Oakland Tribune reported Friday that the team will now shell out $3.5 million in rent, up from the $925,000 it paid last season.

The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority approved the agreement at a meeting Friday morning. It now heads to the Alameda County Board of Supervisors and Oakland City Council, which must approve the deal.

Coliseum Executive Director Scott McKibben says the rent hike accounts for increased costs for game-day security, among other factors, the newspaper reported.

"We're more or less trying to pass along some of these (costs) to the Raiders, which is not unlike any other NFL team," McKibben said, according to the Tribune. "I spent a lot of time visiting with a lot of other NFL teams and this has been customary throughout the league. And quite honestly at the end of the day the Raiders were very cooperative with us on that."

Authority officials say the extension, which includes options to play in Oakland for two additional seasons, opens the door for a long-term stadium plan in Oakland.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/724322855417073665

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Davis and Vegas officials had another meeting today discussing possible stadium plans. Announcement could come this week about plans to relocate

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DOOP posted:

Vegas Raiders will completely upstage the Vegas NHL team

Oh well

It's why I see the NFL going through with it. Vegas is getting a sports team eventually no matter what, let's be honest. At least this way they would be able to say they were the first to technically do it instead of just talk about it, and if it's anywhere near as successful as both leagues have assumed it'd be, they're the first to immediately profit from it. If this goes to a league vote, I see it passing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

The New England Patriots owner told USA TODAY Sports on Friday that he would support the efforts by Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis to relocate his franchise to the so-called Sin City if a stadium deal can’t be struck to keep the team in the Bay Area.

"I think it would be good for the NFL,” Kraft told USA TODAY Sports. “I know Mark Davis has tried so hard in Oakland. If they won’t do it … I want to support him.”

“Whatever the risks,” Kraft added, “they are no greater (in Las Vegas) than playing a game in New Jersey.”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

It's fun to risk money to win more money responsibly

Betting on a Bengals playoff win isn't "risking" money, it's giving it away and admitting you don't want it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/737653522582413313

:getin:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AP confirmed the NHL Vegas team news. No longer the best league :smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love long island iced teas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Buried in the comments he says it's likely that this is the only holdup, and the league will support the move if funding's passed

One step away from Vegas Raiders

• Locked thread