Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
If San Diego isn't one of the teams moving to LA, they're absolutely hosed. There's no way there will be three teams in LA.

As a Raiders fan, I'm all for whatever gets them a stadium the fastest, though I'd be fine with a delay if they didn't have to share the stadium. If they end up moving to LA, then they move to LA, Oakland can go gently caress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

seiferguy posted:

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the Raiders' history but whenever a potential team moving comes up, all the fans of said team get upset (see: Chargers fans in this case) but Raiders fans are perfectly content with the team moving to the other side of the state. I know the Raiders were in LA for awhile, but it seems like no one in Oakland cares about them, or even the fans in Oakland are like "yeah they should move" because the Coliseum is that terrible.

I'm not an Oakland native and the city has been unwilling to help in almost any meaningful way for 20 years. So I have zero allegiance to the city and just want what's best for my football team, the Coliseum is a loving disgrace. I also don't do the whole NoCal v. SoCal thing, because I'm not loving twelve years old.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

old dog child posted:

I have no sympathy for Raiders fans.

We're not the ones on here crying, though, so thanks for the sentiment, I guess?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

old dog child posted:

Yes I am sure that every Raiders fan in America is on board with this because obviously all of them live in Los Angeles...although I guess based on that tarp most of them probably do.

Both my bay area and SD buddies are crying about this on facebook, for what it's worth.

Okay?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ozu posted:

lol

@nathanfenno
Just in: The #Chargers and #Raiders closed Tuesday morning on the land deal to build a stadium in Carson.
Specifics: 11 acres go to Carson Holdings; 157 acres transferred to JPA controlled by City of Carson.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stadium-662313-land-carson.html

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Good, gently caress em

Nobody here cares and gently caress you and your lovely basketball team.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oh, the Warriors abandoned your city? How sad for you.

warcrimes posted:

Nobody here cares

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

No one is mad about the Warriors moving to San Francisco btw.

All it amounts to is being a slightly different bart station to leave.

And unless you're a big fan of drinking in hotel bars, it's a very good spot for a night out, I'm all for the move.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Haha

Edit
If the Chargers leave somehow but the Raiders stick in Qualcomm for a few years, what does Ross do?

mods pls change Ross Angeles to Raider Ross. tia.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

old dog child posted:

Yeah, that's a good idea. The field is covered in turd during fall so why not the entire year.

rude!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Raiders to SA, Rams to LA, Chargers remain.

I can live with this poo poo right here. I'm sure only Oakland fans would be put out (what's left of them) and there are no Rams fans left.

Sorry to interrupt your slashfic but Raiders are never going to SA.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

Mark Davis will do as he's told because he has no choice unless he wants to sell the team

Yes, because that's worked out so well for the NFL in the past.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chichevache posted:

The problem is that NFL teams can afford to pay for their own stadiums while still being insanely profitable. There is no reason for them to get government handouts.

Except the Raiders.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chichevache posted:

That sounds like you're going somewhere to hang out with hot chicks, instead of, you know, watching football?

Do both?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Oracle Arena is 50 years old and was last renovated 20 years ago

Its not insane that they are looking to build a new arena

And it's completely privately financed and in an area I'd rather hang out before and/or after the gane

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Yesssss LA Raiders incoming

The city of Oakland didn't even submit a plan today, fyi

I've been ready for the LA Raiders for a while now.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

I hope this means the Raiders get decent again.

I mean just in general since their colors are too good to waste.

I realized long ago that Oakland/Alameda County weren't going to help the Raiders build a stadium and with Davis not being a good ole boy billionaire that this team was going to have to move again eventually if they didn't sell the team. After Al died, Mark Davis made it clear he would never sell the team so that was out and moving was really the only option.

Moving to LA would be great for the team. Not only are you in a top two media market, you'll be in a state-of-the-art, brand new stadium(shared or not). The value(and therefore equity) of the team would skyrocket, it would become a preferred destination for players and with the Raiders on an organizational upswing, a real possibility to become a jewel of the league, down the road, is a thing.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

^^ don't quote Ray loving Ratto if you want to come off as giving facts, NFL Insider was reporting the exact opposite this morning and it's kind of been discussed a lot on the media outlets here. Spanos and Davis have forged this kind of strange partnership and are joined at the hip, unless the Chargers somehow stay in SD.

Ross Angeles posted:

I think a major obstacle is that the nfl might not WANT the Raiders in LA with Mark Davis as the owner. The Coliseum already said they don't want the Raiders, and the other owners might want to have Spanos or Kronke there instead.

The Raiders are in a tough spot right now

Uh, what? The NFL actually wants the Chargers and Raiders in LA because they don't like how Kronke has gone about his business. Don't make poo poo up.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 11, 2015

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

The Raiders, A's, and Warriors should all get together and build a new megastadium on Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island.

Davis was open to this but Wolf and the other A's partners are assholes. gently caress the city of Oakland, the county of Alameda, and the Oakland Athletics.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm sorry Ross, but this has just become the funniest saga in 2015 football and this is the perfect ending to it all

You must have forgotten the 9ers or T*m Brady exists.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

If the NFL decides to only let the Rams move and the Chargers come crawling back to the city of San Diego, the city is going to absolutely destroy the Chargers on a new stadium deal.

Good.

The league wants two teams in LA

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

lol mike florio

You think san diego has no fans in LA?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

Me too, but the thought of not dropping two teams on a barren market all at once isn't dumb

It's Los Angeles, the #2 market in the country and almost as important is that's one less relocation fee and any NFL teams in LA become instantly worth billions. Those are two huge incentives for owners to want two teams in LA, it just may not happen at the same time. Spanos and Davis could muster up the nine votes to block getting frozen out unless they get league money to build stadiums. Spanos is a bit of a wild card as it seems he's dead set on leaving SD while Davis would prefer to stay in Oakland.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

oldskool posted:

The more important reason for only one team to move to LA is that it leaves "Well they could always move another team" on the table to try to fleece San Diego or Oakland into sweeter stadium deals once word starts leaking out about how much more profitable the LA Rams become after they leave St. Louis. Move two teams and there's no other market with the drawing power of LA to step in as the boogeyman about to steal your team unless the taxpayers fund a nicer stadium.

No disrespect intended here, but that's an insanely dumb mindset. The real powerbrokers in the NFL(and every single owner on the commission that decides who goes to LA) aren't moving their teams and will be much more interested in relocation fees and the instant increased valuation of any team moving to LA(when they're sold, all owners get paid).

That was maybe viable in the late 90s, but the NFL has grown insanely in the last 15 years.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

oldskool posted:

Panthers, Bills and Dolphins leveraged relocation to get stadium upgrades.

Vikings, Falcons, hell as far back as the Colts got new stadiums.

None of them were ever going to move (ok maybe the Bills and eventually the Panthers but that's more due to an ownership change after a death) but they all used the same ":ohdear: we just can't afford the proper stadium amenities oh nooooo and if we don't get a new stadium or upgrade our old one well we just won't be able to stay here when there's a nice new stadium in a way bigger market just waiting for us" bullshit line to guilt-trip taxpayers to foot more of the bill than they were originally willing to.

So long as a large viable market exists it's useful leverage. Taxpayers contributed over a billion dollars to the aforementioned construction costs (among others), all to try to head off the risk that LA might build a stadium and might get a team out of it and the team might be theirs if they didn't.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that Oakland and San Diego taxpayers are far more afraid of the prospect of the LA Raiders & LA Chargers than the Portland Chargers or the San Antonio Raiders.

Find me one example of a team getting what they want because they threatened to move to LA. Again, none of those teams actually moved. Kroenke doesn't give a poo poo what St. Louis does, he's moving. The same seems to be the case for Spanos in SD. Mark Davis isn't using LA as some kind of leverage to leave Oakland, he's stated publicly many times he'd rather stay in Oakland but will move to LA if that's the best available option.

$600 million in relocation fees and shares of the sale of future LA teams worth billions is what the owners care about. A team(or two) to LA is going to happen, so I guess that leverage threat isn't as important as you're trying to make it out to be.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

This isn't true at all.

Everything I've heard and read is that Spanos wants to leave SD, I'll cede that you're probably in a better position to know but you're also a huge homer, so I dunno

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

But Al Davis, man. loving Al Davis.

What about him?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

He was really senile and bad the last 5-7 years

He started making really bad decisions a few years before that but am just wondering what's up dude's rear end about Davis

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Pretty much exactly that: I didn't grow up in the US, and only started following football when I moved to the Bay Area. To me, Al Davis was just the loudmouth guy to blame for the perpetual awfulness of the local team I desperately wanted to like.

You should educate yourself, Al Davis was the hammer(as commissioner of the AFL) that forced the merger between the AFL and NFL in the 60s which was the catalyst for taking the NFL out of second class citizen status to become the juggernaut that it is today. Also, among other accomplishments, he was a major force for social change in the NFL.

The last ten years he was in bad physical and mental shape but don't let that be the only legacy you have of Al Davis.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

His last years of life and bad decisions were completely excused in my book. He did enough good and pissed off enough commissioners for enough years (ie did enough good) that a pass for anything else was beyond earned.

In retrospect, I agree but it was painful to live through. At least his son is a cool motherfucker who knows how to run a team and party at strip clubs and Hooters.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

Senile or not, he really hosed the franchise the last 5 or so years of his life.

It went beyond the last five years, the team had to be financially burned down to be rebuilt but thank god Mark decided to let football people run things and even though he's made a few executive decisions, they've all been good and now we're kinda sorta looking like a good modern football organization, albeit one playing in the equivalent of a 12th century Inquisition keep

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And if my aunt had balls she might be my uncle.

speaking of aunts and uncles, how's Eddie's nephew doing?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Per Jason Cole:

quote:

Source: Deal by #Raiders owner Mark Davis to sell part of team to LA investor could be coming soon in hopes of moving team. #NFL

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/651902284159389696

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

i've seen people claiming that davis and spanos signed a contract as part of their agreement, which precludes spanos from breaking the agreement without davis' approval. if true, and the plan is to do a joint kroenke/spanos stadium in inglewood, davis would have to sign off on it. so the nfl would have to satisfy the raiders before they could get the deal done. i think what they'll end up doing is that a portion of the $1.1 bn provided by the rams and chargers as a relocation fee will be used to help the raiders get a stadium in oakland. then the nfl can say "we still only spent x amount. the rams and chargers spent y amount because of the unique situation which doesn't apply here" during the negotiations with the next city.

This is going to happen anyway, with or without Davis needing to be appeased from some contract. It will be the Raiders' consolation prize from the NFL.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

japtor posted:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/report-la-committee-recommends-carson-project

The committee supposedly recommended the Carson project, and as for the Rams-Chargers idea:

The vote was 5-1 with the one dissenting vote being Clark Hunt. gently caress the Chiefs. This also reconfirms what I've been hearing about the Raiders getting compensation if left out. North of $200m to help build an Oakland stadium.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

Also, if the NFL gives the Raiders more money, good luck the next time a team tries to extort a city for a new stadium, especially without the LA market in play.

Who cares?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently they don't.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

According to LaCanfora the vote is currently 18-6 in favor of the Carson deal. 24 votes needed.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

it was reported they had around 20 votes before.

Didn't get the 24 needed, apparently.

TIME TO NEGOTIATE LOL

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ozu posted:

So no one is moving to L.A unless Spanos decides to work with Kroenke.

Ideally, this will result in the Raiders getting a few hundo mil from the league as a result, allowing them to build a new stadium in Oakland. Failing that, I'm fine with the Raiders moving to LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Kevyn posted:

This happened in every city in America. It was the height of the crack epidemic.

So the Raiders moving to LA caused crack, gotcha.

• Locked thread