Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

I would agree, except the Gulls are coming back soonish and they were the best sports team in San Diego bar none. Cheap seats, guaranteed fights, lots of promotional events like dog night and mullet night. Most locals don't even know about the Sockers.

Oh man the gulls. WCHL hockey was the best. It sucks now that it's the ECHL and players think they will move up, instead of being burnout ruffians. So many line/bench brawls in the 90s. The gulls were the goddamn worst, there were like two or three years in a row my Aces never won a game in San Diego.

It was all so wonderfully, literally bush league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Can you assholes just move to LA already, I'd like my 49ers to be out of the news, tia.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

All this California infighting has made me realize how much I love Minnesota and hate Anaheim

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's the offseason so of course people think the rams are good.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If the raiders and chargers both move to LA is the assumption still that one of them would get moved out of the AFC west so that there are not two division rivals in the same city?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Give the Seahawks back to the AFC where they belong. Trade for the Raiders.

And I am so loving over this franchise I would be perfectly fine with Davis Jr curb stomping Jed York for a few years, bring it on.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Seahawks to the WNBA, so Seattle has the professional basketball team they want so bad. New AFC west expansion team in Portland, preferably with some kind of raptor based name.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I did not know that and will almost certainly forget it.

But if LA can have two NFL teams Seattle can have two WNBA teams.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

The Raiders in the NFC just seems wrong. When I think "AFC" I think of teams like the Steelers and the Raiders.

I am not sure there is any easy AFC West team to swap to the NFC. Aren't they pretty much all old AFL teams? Kind of the same deal in the NFC West, other than Seattle they all have deep NFC roots. Rams and Niners have been NFC West as long as there's been an NFL, and the cardinals are like the oldest continuous NFL franchise.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Last in first out bye Seahawks. No team with highlighter green accents and carbon fiber numbers gets to pretend they have roots anywhere.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Eh, doesn't really make a difference for the Niners. No matter who you move from the AFC, you guys still finish 4th in the division.

Oh most definitely. We're getting a top five pick this year, which we will spend on a WR who will catch ten passes in his career, and then we're getting another top five pick next year too. I will get no joy from my football team winning football games this year. But I just might get some joy out of seeing The Worst Fans in the Nation being real buttmad.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really doubt the raiders would ever wind up in the NFC but real live thunderdome twice a year would be amazing and awful. Mostly amazing since I don't actually live in CA and could chortle from afar.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How can you say teams are not very profitable, and then follow it up with the statement that the NFL makes 6B a year and splits it among the teams? The teams are only making a small profit if you exclude their largest source of income under that description.

I dont actually know how much teams make, or the revenue sharing works, and I dont care enough to look it up. But it is pretty clear the NFL is printing money, regardless of any accounting game that allows someone to pretend an individual owner is not making money. they can afford their own stadiums, gently caress them.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

That's 187 million per team. Teams spend well over 200 million a year, so that amount only covers a substantial chunk of losses, with local and regional income covering the rest and then providing income.

Ah, team profits include the revenue sharing. I thought you were saying there was revenue sharing in additon to team profits.

Volkerball posted:

All but a handful of NFL teams aren't about business. Many of them are inherited as a symbol of pride for a family that has no other business ventures going on. For those that are sold, it's about having a toy to show your friends. So for these family run teams, there's just not enough profit to drop a billion on a stadium. You have to dig into reserves because you'll be taking huge losses, and if the team is your primary source of income, you're hosed. For the people who are looking to buy a team, if you spend 2 billion on the team and another billion or two on stadiums in your lifetime for like, 20 million a year profit, that's a loving stupid expensive toy that few can afford.

yeah, I appreciated it when texpayers subsidized my family's showoff pride toy. It would be frankly unthinkable for us to have to finance our own boasting.

If teams had to pay for their own stadiums they would not sell for $2B because the liability of stadium construction would be factored into the price, much like houses that will need a new roof in the next year sell for less than those that don't. Teams sell for so much in part because of their taxpayer windfalls.

If it's a really dumb investment to put $2B capital into an enterprise that yields a $20M/yr profit, then the answer is not that the government must therefore prop up that business, it is that the business is absurdly overvalued. Some rich assholes will take a bath if/when that externality-driven over-valuation is allowed to correct itself. That's a good thing, and lol at them for sinking their assets into a penis waving statement.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Once each game a stupid rich person must be randomly selected from a luxury box. This person will be fed to a hungry predator at halftime.

Congrats, you're welcome, I just solved the stadium conundrum. You don't have to build $2B luxury temples any more because nobody wants to be eaten by a crocodile.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

San Diego is going to London.

Untrue as a matter of page tectonics.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Run down the List of Metropolitan Areas in the US, and find the ones near the top that don't have a football team.

Obviously LA is the first, at #2. The next one at #13 is Riverside/San Bernadino/Ontario. San Diego is at #17 and would be third if it lost its team. St. Louis is #19.

The next area currently lacking an NFL team is Portland at #24, and then San Antonio at #25.

From a financial standpoint, the NFL wants a team in LA and it would make sense for them to take one from literally any met area further down the list. It's approximate population of 13M people is more than double that of every area from #5 (Houston) on down. It's quadruple that of San Diego (~3.3M), and nearly five times that of St. Louis.

Oakland and San Francisco are in the same met area, with a total pop of ~4.6M, but SF's team is now midway between SF and San Jose, and the San Jose met area is treated separately, with a further ~2M people.

What strikes me, though, are the cities waaaay down the list that do have teams. I think in many of these cases, the teams are accouting for much more widespread audiences of TV watchers. So the Saints in #45 New Orleans claim not just the 1.3M people there, but add in the rest of the state.

The worst that I can find is #157 Green Bay, which has just 315k people, but Green Bay as we all know, is special.

These numbers obviously don't tell the whole story. But from the NFL Owner's perspective, they want to invest in TV markets first and foremost. Putting two (or three or four) teams in LA makes more sense than having even one team in St. Louis, purely from a TV licensing perspective.

Yeah but LA sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Everyone drafts some real idiots eventually if they do it long enough. Al Davis owns, the raiders were stone cold killers.

• Locked thread