Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I miss Hollywood Park. Nothing beat $1 blackjack and old people watching hours of ponies.

I like how the NFL sent out a memo trying to reestablish control of the LA process after the Rams talked about moving, and now they get blindsided with this going public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'm not sure moving an hour or 2 away is abandoning, especially when like a quarter or half of fans are in LA and OC.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

SA2K posted:

It's a major city to a major city. It's like moving the Jets to Philadelphia

Maybe if the Jets had once played in Philly, Philly had no existing team, there was no major sports rivalries and a large portion of the Jets fan base was drawn from massive Philly suburbs...

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

UCLA football has gotten a lot more attention with Jim Mora, we've been consistently top 25 ranked at the same time USC lost Pete, got hit with sanctions and sucked for awhile. We had something like a top 10 recruiting class but still got blown out by USC, who finished 2nd/3rd. It will take a long time to overcome the decades of dominance USC has had...

The raiders and chargers have massive fan bases in LA/OC. I don't know anyone who is a Rams fan, they were last here 20 years ago.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I feel like a lot of LA-based Chargers fans are SD transplants (like myself) who fondly remember rooting for their hometown team and will be pretty pissed off about them leaving, even if it is to the city in which they currently reside. LA may have a lot of Chargers fans now, but once they move, they might lose a lot of them.

Every single San Diegan I know who lives in LA talks about how much they want to move back... the tie is to the city, not the team. the LA lifestyle and culture is just so different, and the Chargers embody that (for better or worse).

But I also root for the Kings, so I have clearly fallen into the LA trap...

So when the Chargers move to LA, LA fans of the Chargers will stop being fans? Who are they going to start rooting for, the Cardinals? LA is a city of transplants. On one hand this means they have preexisting loyalties, but on the other it means a lot of locals without a die hard loyalty could be added to the fan base. I moved to LA and never really felt that connected with the Chargers, but if they moved to my city...

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Also, think of it this way Chargers fans - you'll never have to deal with tv blackouts again! It just might cost a few body parts to go to games now...

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

A coast person pays to be near a dangerously massive puddle of water they can't drink. Meanwhile, I pay for land I can use for a million things. Check and mate, coastal putz!

Did you just describe an ocean as "a dangerously massive puddle of water they can't drink"? I can't knock you because this kind of thing is like religion or politics (same thing), but good god do I feel sorry for you. I'd love to see the North and South Korea dynamic that would happen if we could succeed in getting rid of the heartland.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

SA2K posted:

In what universe is San Diego dry and hot? I mean, sure, you might need to use the air conditioner for two weeks out of the year, but that's not a hot climate.

It's pleasant for like 350 days a year. Compared to Los Angeles which is an arid desert.

Climate chat

Not really. It works the same way in both places

by the beach where rich people live=pleasant
inland away from the beach=arid hell

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I don't understand how Phil would rather move his kids across the country to Tennessee than maybe moving them an hour, hour and a half north to Orange County. If he cared that much he should just Kobe helicopter it, I'm not even sure if it'd be smart or necessary to move.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I looked up what the current franchise tag for a QB is - $18.5M. I was going to say is it even worth it to franchise him and then looked at his 2013-2014 season stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

If the owners can't afford a stadium they should sell bonds and raise debt and pay it off over time like everyone else in the world when they want to spend more money than they have. They put that burden on municipalities because they can. I don't know how that didn't enter the discussion.

• Locked thread