Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

I want my home town to be famous for something ok

Old gay golfers isn't a good enough reputation for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Superior Bastard posted:

Having lived in Central TX and a fan of the Silver and Black as long as I've known about football, I really do feel this is the best move. I've been to Oakland to watch them play and even if they built a new stadium there, being in Oakland is not as good as being in Texas.

I don't think Jerry Jones or Bob McNair are going to want another team in Texas.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

FCKGW posted:

No one in LA gives a poo poo about the Chargers. Everyone loves the Rams.

This is true:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/16/rams-fans-boo-prospect-of-sharing-stadium-with-chargers/

The Chargers never provided any proof that 25% of their fanbase came from there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Spanos is going to have to publicly hand over control to his kids who, by all reports, want to stay in SD. Do that, kill/fire Fabiani and go on a charm offensive and they might have a chance

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The idea has been floated that Kroenke might contribute more to the Chargers to keep them in SD, but that just means the LA Raiders become a reality and that's a more competitive team in the market.

I don't understand (other than the obvious greed motive) why they can't come up with a revenue-neutral or positive facility for any team. The city can issue the bonds to help pay the upfront costs and take some of the risk, and the team can repay the cost of the bonds over 20 years or whatever. Otherwise, nothing gets done in San Diego. Has a team ever actually released their balance sheets?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Las Vegas Raiders works because their fans are appropriate for a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't think I can take another year of this

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ehud posted:

maybe they can leverage the agreed upon LA deal into a San Diego stadium deal

I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of the Kroenke negotiation- the Chargers want to present the strongest leverage they can to secure public financing.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think they'll make an attempt to stay, but the negotiations are going to be tough. The Chargers are gonna point to their agreement with Kroenke and the city is gonna say "lol ok it's still San Diego so we're doing alright thanks" and maybe they'll find room in the middle but I don't have any hope.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

That's not additional money- just restating that they're giving the $100M + the $200M G4 loan. Nothing to sneeze at, though- that's a quarter of the estimated cost.

Jubs posted:

You guys do realize that San Diego is only about a two hour drive to Los Angeles. It's not like current Charger fans can't continue going to games if they move to LA.

But they won't. At least the majority won't.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Most places have humidity. gently caress those places.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Toilet Mouth posted:

Seems like the best outcome for everyone, seems like the Raiders have a lot more built-in fandom in LA than the Chargers. The Chargers must have some interest in leveraging the city and staying in SD or else what's the purpose of this 12 month ultimatum?

The Chargers would make more money in LA, but probably can't afford to be a full partner in Inglewood. In San Diego, they have a fanbase and can attempt to build a stadium. If it doesn't work out, they can say, "Well, we tried" and go be Kroenke's tenant. Also, Spanos is talking about his loyalty and love for SD, which falls a little flat given that for a year he was focused on getting the hell out of town.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It will all depend on financing, but...yeah, good luck.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There will be no "public money" used in building the Stadium, most likely.

Well, not exactly.

It will do some fun stuff with the hotel tourism tax and make it so they have incentive to funnel the money to building the convention center portion of the project. The Chargers will then foot their own portion of the bill for the stadium.

The issue is whether or not that tax increase will require a 2/3 vote or simple majority, which is going to be the argument, unless they've got some other brilliant idea on how to fund the thing.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

kiimo posted:

What is wrong with San Diego people if you don't pass this? If there's one thing I'd pay extra taxes for it's a kickass downtown stadium that would bring the superbowl to town and keep the football team in town.

Financially speaking, public financing of a stadium is lovely for cities.

Playing devil's advocate, if you're going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars, invest in infrastructure, business development, etc. How about a non-lovely public transportation system?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

I don't get it

Chinatown posted:

Eat poo poo non-car havers.

computer parts posted:

What are you thinking? Keep in mind San Diego isn't exactly compact.

My favorite story to relate the crappiness of San Diego transit:

Monday night football, 2012, Broncos at Qualcomm. I'm two hours early for kickoff with the wife, we're on the 15 trying to get into the stadium which is mobbed, as in traffic not moving for minutes at a time. Nonetheless, we get off at Friars road only to discover the parking lot is full. Ok, still an hour early, let's head to hazard center and ride the trolley in. We get to the station with half an hour to spare. There are two ticket dispensers, neither of which is working. Rather than selling tickets from the nearby booth, the employee is poking at one of the machines to get it going. 10 minutes before kickoff, we're third in line for the machine when it finally starts working. At about kickoff time, we get to the front of the line- the tickets can only be dispensed one at a time. You have to have a separate transaction for each one. Fine, we get our tickets and wait for the next trolley.

It's full. And the next one. And the next one.

We finally squeeze into a car crammed to the gills. The first quarter is over by now, but there are only four stops to Qualcomm, right?

A six-minute ride becomes a 20-minute ride and we get to our seats with the Chargers up 24-0 with about 2 minutes left in the second quarter.

The Chargers never score again in the game, eventually losing 35-24.

We take a cab back to Hazard Center.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

You need a car in San Diego. That's my take.

No one take Chinatown seriously.

That's the point. What if you didn't?

A:MTS would gently caress it up anyways

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't care about public money for stadiums as long as it's considered a loan the team pays back over the life of the stadium.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/04/comic-con-convention-expansion/

Just in case anyone was confused, Comic-con itself wants a contiguous expansion of the convention center in SD. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen any drawings or mockups from the Chargers for their proposal.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They should have artist renditions of the Chargers proposed stadium this week, as well as submitting the plan.

If they only need a majority vote, they've got a chance. Especially considering the Chargers are stepping up to the plate and offering a 30-year lease and offering additional money in the terms.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It is, however, very Charger-ish not to have any pretty pictures to accompany the proposal.

"Think we should finish those promotional shots before we release the plan to get everyone excited?"

"Nah."

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Chargers are still gonna pursue PSLs for their portion of the stadium, which is a bummer, but I guess it's the new stupid reality

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Chargers released their renders of the new downtown stadium:

http://www.chargers.com/galleries/2016/04/21/first-look-stadium-convention-center-expansion-project

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
LT will get them a deal on EasyTurf.

A retractable roof is mandatory. There's no way they could try and sell the stadium without it. I wonder how those fabric ones hold up.

Spanos better come out on Saturday for v the launch with his kneepads on begging for forgiveness. Not likely, but we'll see what he says.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Shees. Where do I sign up?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They should incorporate mission brewing into the stadium. Best of both worlds.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chichevache posted:

The Chargers aren't even the best football team in their half of the state.

There are some pretty talented Pop Warner teams that could beat them, I agree.

Mission Brewery at least has the sense to feature beers from other places.

Yoshifan823 posted:

As someone who has basically never stepped foot out of the convention center/Gaslight area, what's the location on this? I know they're building an expansion to the current convention center, is this on the other side of that, or a whole different area, or what?

It's a 10 minute walk from the existing convention center. Expect this to be a big point of disagreement if the thing gets on the ballot.

Did anyone go to the rally today? Seemed like it was fairly popular.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 24, 2016

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Chargers should make a presentation to put a stadium at Seaport Village. Apart from the seawall, that place is a blight on the earth, and I think the contenders for redevelopment include a Ripley's Aquarium and a Fish Market, so it's not like they're playing against the big boys.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The news is that they went through and verified that the signatures were valid so it's on the ballot. The other TOT increase measure (Corey Briggs) hasn't yet been checked, I think.

It doesn't matter, though. Unless the Chargers have a major winning season, there's no way the measure passes.

The city attorney has asked the state supreme court to rule on the stadium initiatives with regards to the 50% or 2/3 thing that's been going on, but it remains to be seen if they will do so.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The SD Chamber of Commerce came out in favor of the Chargers proposal. It's still not going to pass, though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Put the Chargers stadium in Escondido. Whatever they replace, nothing of value will be lost.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

chupacabraTERROR posted:

mexican food joints, gang membership, IPAs @ stone

I live in Escondido.

This is accurate, but please also include Crusin' Grand every Friday during summer, where gang members coexist peacefully with the angry old white Republicans who want to deport Mexicans.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Spanos is so bad. The Falcons lowered concession prices to reasonable levels, something Spanos could easily copy to engender goodwill towards a stadium vote. But nope.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The most Qualcomm thing is the TVs they have in the overhang sections. There are two TVs mounted together- one is a LCD, the other is a tube TV. Both are tiny.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Please vote to fund my stadium. Also, please pay exorbitant prices for parking and concessions while I talk about how I can't afford to build my own structure.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Vegas is a tourist destination, and I think people would make it part of their plans to go to a game if their home team was playing.

That said, don't pay public money to increase the wealth of billionaires for little to no appreciable financial benefit.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ron Jeremy posted:

You know how the Raider fans show up in San Diego and it's like another home game?

Mark thought that was so cool, he thought he'd give every other team the same opportunity by moving to Vegas.

I'm only ok with it if they put slot machines at every seat in the stadium. Penny slots for the nosebleed section and $5-a-pop ones for club seats. And stripper concessionaires.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I find the stadium shitshows fascinating. Same goes with the whole hoopla over the Olympic or World Cup cities that almost always lose money. It's not like there's a dearth of examples to look at and see the results of building these things, but every time people get convinced that the outcome is going to be different somehow.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 10, 2016

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Let me tell you why the Chargers deserve a new stadium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

Vote Yes On C