Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't get to vote on this.

The mayor of SD, a month before the vote finally decided to support it. Granted, he did it after several key concessions by the Chargers regarding cost overruns and staying around til the bills are paid off, but that's got to feel like pretty drat tepid support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Who the gently caress wants to go to a stadium anyways? Crowded, full of stabby assholes, expensive terrible beer and food and a generally lovely view.

The whole point of civilization is that I can sit in my underwear yelling at a high-definition, big screen TV while a pizza gets brought to me and I don't have to pee in a trough.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's funded by a hotel tax. SD is notoriously anti-tax for just about anything.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Though it's my hometown and I love it here, San Diego is filled to the brim with crusty old assholes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't often listen to sports talk radio, but I'm looking forward to the Wednesday freakout when measure C gets like 40% support.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
38.8% yes on C with ~16% of the ballots counted.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Chargers aren't making any decisions until the year is over, which means they're going to try and negotiate something behind the scenes. My guess? Smaller TOT increase for a stadium in Mission Valley, maybe bring the county in on the vote depending if that's beneficial to them.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18266609/san-diego-city-council-members-offer-chargers-lease-deal

SD council offering the team a 99 year lease for $1 a year. In Mission Valley.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If they move to LA, I expect SD will become the next bogeymen city the NFL threatens to go to when the next city doesn't cave in to building a stadium

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If the Chargers move and rebrand, it means there's a chance we can get a non-Spanos owned team, and I'm fine with that, even if the chance is miniscule

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

No, there's no chance. Because to get another team, we'd need to build a stadium. We can't build a stadium WITH a team here, you think one is going to get built WITHOUT a team here?

I'll still take those odds

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Most of my LA problems are traffic related. It sucks to drive there, it sucks to park there. Other than that, I don't hate LA or anyone living there.

I think people in SD are afraid of poo poo developing too fast and then there's an endless corridor of humanity and overdevelopment from Chula Vista to Santa Monica broken up only by Camp Pendleton.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'll be interested to see if they rebrand. On the bright side, I don't need to have any cable TV anymore.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chinatown posted:

whats an antenna

I don't get CBS at my house. Just PBS, NBC and some weird public access channels.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Welp, my backup team is the Bills. Go gently caress yourselves, LA Chargers.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

Because they have to first 2017 per nfl rules

They'll probably let them do it if they want to. I suspect the owners are in a huff right now. Dean probably isn't the most popular person at this moment I'm guessing

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Man this is more depressing than the sobbing radio callers

Maybe the Packers, at least we know they're not moving.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 12, 2017

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I feel bad for the people who work for the Chargers. My computer routinely gives peoplr the choice between working in LA or losing their jobs. Nobody ever moves to LA.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

Can I quit this team

You mean you haven't yet?

I think Dean must have taken an "intro to mspaint" class down at the learning annex and thought, "I got this."

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

Not yet. Not while Rivers is still there.

I love Philip Rivers

I'll still root for Rivers and Gates, but I wish the team financial ruin.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

All I know about him is that the Bills had a chance to promote him and didn't.

It's a weird hire. Why bring in an OC as a head coach if you're just going to keep Whisenhunt for offensive continuity? Maybe he's just a better manager of personalities or whatever, I don't know. At least he isn't McCoy

Because Spanos is also cheap, in addition to being a scumbag.

I'm gonna test run the Packers for the playoffs, see if I can remember anyone's name other than Rodgers.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Nationalize football

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chinatown posted:

the 10 remaining charges fans in southern california quiver with anticipation

Can't wait for them to get booed on tv

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I watched a Packers game trying to be a fan and they won in the final moments, so I'm conflicted. That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's very sad that our perpetually underperforming sports franchise that's owned by a terrible person is paying the city to leave a dilapidated stadium and well over a hundred acres of prime real estate because the citizens refused to give him hundreds of millions of dollars.

How will I deal with not being bitterly disappointed for four months of the year?

Edit: also, Phil Mickelson has a net worth of about $375 million, so he could have probably bridged the financial gap himself because he loves the Chargers so much.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2017

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Chargers won't go back to San Diego unless the NFL is gonna pay for it. And even if they did, is there any chance the city doesn't lambaste Dean?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

BlindSite posted:

Isn't the relocation costing Spanos and co as much as building the stadium they wanted and Spanos is just being a pisspants taking his ball and going home out of some stupid stand?

As I understood it, Spanos had to put in 650 mill for a stadium and the city would top up the rest and he thought it was too much so he decided to move which is costing 650 mill?

It's costing more for Spanos to move to LA than it would to build a stadium in Mission Valley.

The city, county and sdsu offered $375 million (subject to voter approval), paired with $300 million from the NFL (100m gift, 200m loan), and the Chargers would contribute $350m ( the Chargers' $350 million would be covered by PSLs, Naming Rights, and Sponsorship/Advertising deals). There was a likely gap of around $100m, which broke the deal.

In contrast, Dean now has to pay the relocation loan of $650m plus an estimated $100m in moving and setup costs to be a tenant in LA, which will wind up being around $1B after the interest on the loans.

So why do it? A couple theories:

1. He really didn't want mission valley. I don't buy this- the Chargers asked for a mission valley stadium for years until they tried to go to Carson, when MV was suddenly not good enough.

2. Team value. The Chargers are instantly worth a billion dollars more in LA. But this only makes sense if the Spanos' want to sell, which doesn't seem to be the case.

3. He had to sell the narrative that he tried everything in SD to the NFL to allow relocation. By supporting a doomed-to-fail ballot measure, and only that, he bolstered his case.

3a. Opening the door to LA also let him go to the owners meeting and say he didn't really want to go to LA, and basically beg for money. When they told him to pound sand, then he pulled the trigger.

I think it's the latter, and in the same way he got outmaneuvered in the LA stadium race a year ago, he got outmaneuvered by the NFL here and had to go through with it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chinatown posted:

gently caress the Spanos family

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If the Raiders moved to San Diego, twice a year rabid Raider fans could swarm over the stadium.

So, you know, no change from the last couple years.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chichevache posted:

:confused:

I don't think you know how scheduling works.

You're forgetting the yearly swarm of raider fans that converge for no reason.

Or maybe I don't know how scheduling works.

I'm not used to this ok

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Leperflesh posted:

You play the other teams in your own division twice a year - once at home and once away. You don't play any other team more than once unless you meet in the playoffs (and you can only meet another team in the other conference a second time in the superbowl).

So, while the Chargers and the Raiders are in the same division and thus play twice a year, they would only play once in any putative Raiders home game in San Diego or wherever.

But also if the Raiders were in San Diego then presumably all their home games would be swarmed by Raiders fans so your post makes no sense in that direction either? Are you suggesting they'd only be swarmed by Raiders fans in San Diego when they were playing the LA Chargers, for some reason?

No I just forgot that I don't have a team here anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Volkerball posted:

What if a game gets blacked out lol

They can sell out the tickets but they can't necessarily fill them with Chargers fans.

• Locked thread