Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

edit: Wow, looking this up on Wikipedia, I have learned the ABA apparently still exists and there's a San Diego basketball team that plays in it. That must be depressing.

edit edit: Guys, it only costs 10,000 dollars to buy an ABA team, let's do this, "The Something Awful Forced Memes"

editx3: Can this just be the ABA thread now, hot poo poo:
Yeah I read up about the new ABA a while ago when looking for a basktball, 2006-2009 seemed to be the particularly :psyduck: years:

quote:

2006–2007
See also: 2006–07 ABA season
The 2006–07 season saw the cost for a new expansion franchise raised to $20,000,[4] but many still sold for $5,000 - $10,000 and less, in some cases going as low as $1.[5][6] One notable 2006–07 expansion franchise was the Vermont Frost Heaves, owned by Sports Illustrated writer Alexander Wolff. Also in 2006-07, former NBA player John Salley was named league commissioner, and Maryland Nighthawks owner Tom Doyle was named chief operating officer.

[:words: about CEO and owners drama]

The 2006–07 season saw many franchises fail to travel to road games or play a full schedule. When a weather problem required a postponement of a playoff game between the defending champion Rochester Razorsharks and the Wilmington Sea Dawgs, instead of letting the two teams reschedule, the league wanted to force Rochester to forfeit. Rochester instead withdrew from the league.[10] This incident, coupled with the CEO v. COO intrigue, caused to some league owners to become frustrated with the instability of the league and separate to form the Premier Basketball League (PBL).

2007–2009
See also: 2007–08 ABA season and 2008–09 ABA season
The 2007–08 season saw nearly twenty teams fold within its first five weeks, and several remaining teams left the ABA to join other existing leagues. According to Our Sports Central, only around 35% of the games were actually played in the 2007–08 season. The teams that played the highest percentage of games were Vermont, the Manchester (NH) Millrats, and the Quebec Kebs. Those three teams would leave to join the PBL at the conclusion of the season.[11][12] Another team that only played home games was Beijing Aoshen Olympians. This team was kicked out of the Chinese Basketball League and played home games in Singapore. Beijing would pay $3000 and fly teams to Singapore for a 2-game homestand. Early teams complained on Our Sports Central that they were forced to stay in a hotel that doubled as a brothel. Joe Newman CEO forced Beijing to find a new hotel on hearing this news. Later teams stayed in a Holiday Inn.

[more :words: about CEO and owners drama]
Shorter/more entertaining version of everything, here's the CEO drama in particular:
http://american-basketball-association.wikia.com/wiki/American_Basketball_Association

quote:

To make things more unnerving, the ABA's Board of Directors, which included newly-elected COO Tom Doyle, attempted to fire Newman from his position as the league's CEO while amist the controversy. Newman denied this ever happening, and the matter went all the way to the courts. Newman not only kept his position as league CEO, but also fired the entire Board of Directors, including Doyle.

Doyle, when asked about the situation, replied,

"My idea of success and Newman's differ . . . I'd rather have fewer teams, that are stable and last, as opposed to having tonnes that continue to fold. It's not the amount of teams that a league has, it's the amount that finish."

Newman, when asked about the situation, responded,

"How stupid are they? I own the league and so I fired them."

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

The LA Times had a little slideshow of the current proposed stadiums, and also included a drawing of a proposed Carson stadium from the 90s:

Look at that loving thing, it amazing
Well the Raiders were supposedly originally going to be called Señors, they should've just used this one again.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zen death robot posted:

Does this mean Kronke will end up selling the Rams and take his rightful place as owner of the LA Raiders?
Well Al needs a physical body so I guess it works out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I live in OC and there's been some Dunkin Donuts around here as long as I can remember, didn't realize it was a big deal :confused:

...then again the only time I think I've ever eaten them is at a bus station in Korea.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Oakland had a decent little plan that completely ignored the A's, I don't know why they even put it together.
It was part of the package to get the dog park approved.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Meanwhile in Oakland the developer there delivered their financing plans a few days ago. But the city/county or something has it under NDA so no one in the public actually knows :wtc: the actual plan is to make up the $400-500M shortfall (or presumably a shitload more if they're still pushing Coliseum City).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

it will be his last dying gift in the memory of al
He’ll buy a piece of the Raiders to help pay for a new stadium with the dream of having an all Jerry Super Bowl.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Judge weighing Missouri lawmaker lawsuit over Rams stadium

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You mean the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sash! posted:

That stadium looks designed to look dated and half broken in 15 years
While looking at those pictures all I could think of was the post right above it:

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But the real problem is replacing the buildings way too fast. If a stadium is going to be built to host rare major events it should be built to last a long, long time. They can't be rebuilding them every 20 years. They should be built to last 100 years with renovation, not total rebuild every time the architecture goes out of style.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Chargers to San Diego: gently caress y'all proposals:

quote:

Chargers point man Mark Fabiani was quick to criticize City Hall, as he has since the stadium push was revived in January.

"Never before in California history has a controversial, billion dollar project relied on environmental review documents hastily prepared in three weeks," Fabiani, a former deputy mayor of Los Angeles, said in a statement. "The Chargers have been clear from the start that the franchise will not be the City's guinea pig for this inevitably ill-fated legal experiment. Remember, these are the same politicians who told us, with disastrous results in court, that the convention center expansion could be financed by a vote of the hoteliers rather than a vote of the people."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

He was really senile and bad the last 5-7 years
The last two years were fun before he died and McKenzie blew everything up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Almost certainly. Mark owns something like 40% now, which is majority but not by a lot. It's supposedly some mystery billionaire who is looking to become majority owner.
http://youtu.be/97YWuvLVWnI

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Don't tease me.
Dare to dream the impossible dream.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Please don't bring up skull boat because it hurts me too much that it's not being discussed.
Skull Boat must always be considered. The Nomadic Raiders. 4 games in LA, 3 games in Oakland, home finale at Alcatraz. Can transform into the Skull Cruise during Pro Bowl week and travel for events on all the islands when the game is in Hawaii.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LordPants posted:

I was reading the La Time's piece on the move, and they mentioned that the NFL wasn't to hot on the Raiders going back because of the "Reputation they cultivated in the LA Market before they moved in 1995"

Please tell me that isn't code for "Too black"
I assume they also had too much attitude.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I've said it before but as long as the Raiders stay in California I don't really care where they move. I just don't want to root for a Texas team or a St. Louis team. Moving them to San Diego would be really loving weird though.
Plus it'd make no sense to play California Love during games unless they stayed here.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

i've seen people claiming that davis and spanos signed a contract as part of their agreement, which precludes spanos from breaking the agreement without davis' approval. if true, and the plan is to do a joint kroenke/spanos stadium in inglewood, davis would have to sign off on it. so the nfl would have to satisfy the raiders before they could get the deal done. i think what they'll end up doing is that a portion of the $1.1 bn provided by the rams and chargers as a relocation fee will be used to help the raiders get a stadium in oakland. then the nfl can say "we still only spent x amount. the rams and chargers spent y amount because of the unique situation which doesn't apply here" during the negotiations with the next city.
They can add some amendment about extra stadium money when moving from 50 year old dual purpose stadiums.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/report-la-committee-recommends-carson-project

The committee supposedly recommended the Carson project, and as for the Rams-Chargers idea:

quote:

Despite the Carson recommendation, league sources confirmed that buzz surrounding Jones’ suggestion to pair the Chargers and Rams in Inglewood is a realistic possibility.

The Raiders would get a financial consolation prize if that was the case. Raiders owner Mark Davis and Chargers owner Dean Spanos remained unified, and Spanos could insist on what a source said could be a “significant sum” to help build a stadium in Oakland or another market if the Raiders are left out of Los Angeles.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Skull Boat forever. Can also be retrofitted to launch nuclear attacks if necessary.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sash! posted:

A few would. I mean, if Manziel ended up on this hypothetical Vegas team, he'd probably never be seen again
He'd eventually reach a partying equilibrium and become the best QB he could be without needing to sneak away to party.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not that Houston needs to be any more cursed than usual:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/trask-mcnairs-anti-raiders-stance-isnt-about-al

quote:

"Oakland gets nothing," Houston Texans owner Robert McNair told the author. "Al used to sue us all the time."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nystral posted:

Wait... Sue US?! Was Bob McNair a minority owner somewhere? I thought Al was done suing people by 2003ish.
Yeah a little down from that quote it mentions he wasn’t an owner at the time of the last lawsuit.

John Brown posted:

OMG I'm salivating at the thought of a Houston Texans-San Antonio Raiders rivalry.

Get the gently caress in!
And it starts in Mexico City:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14714387/mexico-city-likely-host-houston-texans-oakland-raiders-game-2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15510451/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-interested-idea-team-moving-las-vegas

quote:

Speaking at a sponsors' golf tournament at Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine, Texas, Jones would not discuss which club he would like to see test the market, but he called Las Vegas, "one of the real crown jewels of communities in the United States."

"It has a flair for entertainment, and it has two million people, and they're avid sports fans, the full-time residents," Jones said. "They have a huge visiting contingent that more often than not are fans of some NFL football teams. You add all that together, and it's certainly in a conversation about the future relative to the NFL. As you well know, you have to have the right situation. You have to have the right ownership, want to and then a lot of other considerations that have to come into play. For me, I think that certainly the fact that Las Vegas has a gambling aspect to it is far overshadowed by the entertainment value, if you will, family appeal, that you have, the convention appeal. So it does not have disfavor with me, in my opinion, relative to being an NFL city."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Would a Vegas NFL team be wasted every Sunday morning?
I think it'd be more of an issue for visiting teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That 8-8 season was a shocking decline that most niners fans viewed as the tragic destruction of what should have been a great team on its way to a revenge match in the superbowl.
The highlight was the Raiders game.

• Locked thread