Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
All bleedin comin together: chargers leave for la, Padres can get sold to Charlotte or something, and then the Sockers will reign supreme in San Diego sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
If you google San Diego Gulls, apparently a junior team (U20) adopted the name back in 2001 to play in the WSHL, and they now have to give up the name :(

Amazingly, the new AHL team is going to just use their logo.

edit: Wow, looking this up on Wikipedia, I have learned the ABA apparently still exists and there's a San Diego basketball team that plays in it. That must be depressing.

edit edit: Guys, it only costs 10,000 dollars to buy an ABA team, let's do this, "The Something Awful Forced Memes"

editx3: Can this just be the ABA thread now, hot poo poo:

quote:

Hughes, a former New York City rapper, secured a 10,000-seat arena for his ABA team, the Charlotte Krunk. He booked rap artist Mike Jones for postgame entertainment. He paid for jerseys, basketballs and $30,000 worth of TV commercials. When referees refused to be paid by check, Hughes paid them in cash.

But like many investors in the ABA, Hughes' experience ended in disaster.

He pumped $80,000 of his own money into the Charlotte Krunk last season to participate in a league some billed as a promising investment.

By December, the Krunk was $200,000 in the red and Hughes folded the team, as dozens of other ABA franchises -- crippled by dwindling bank accounts and inexperienced ownership -- crumbled around him. "Everyone was bleeding," Hughes said, "including us."

Since 2000, when the ABA resumed play, more than 50 teams have folded operations, including at least six teams in Southern California, leaving behind a steady trail of scorned owners.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 23, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Glumslinger posted:

The LA Times had a little slideshow of the current proposed stadiums, and also included a drawing of a proposed Carson stadium from the 90s:

Look at that loving thing, it amazing

It's too bad the Padres are already a team that is horrible because this is where a team called the Padres should play

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Psh, El Camino Real is the only true way to get to Oakland from San Diego.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Last Week Tonight on Stadiums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

I pretty much completely agree and have come down on the side of "gently caress the Chargers. You guys suck anyway, have never won a Super Bowl, only been once, and what have you done for us lately? Enjoy Carson. Try not to get stabbed."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

At this point, San Diego could literally build a stadium from a wish from a genie, and instantly sell out of season tickets for the next 50 years and the Chargers would still move. That's been their plan from the start and nothing is going to deviate them from it. Literally everything the city does is met with "gently caress this city they're all idiots, gently caress you." from the Chargers side, it's kind of obvious.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Finally found the source of that sweet-rear end spanish-style stadium idea, it was a proposal from 1998 backed by Michael Ovitz called "The Hacienda". Here's another shot of it. This would look beautiful in San Diego, but there's only one hitch: it was actually the first stadium design for Carson.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 22, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Chargers have basically no winning moves at this point - I know multiple die-hard fans here who just stopped watching football this year. It'd be one thing if they had had a decent season, but people are pissed off at Spanos, pissed off at the team for being a flaming shitstorm of horrible losers who suck, and pissed off at the city in general for the ridiculous mark-up to watch a team of useless babies flail around in a lovely broken-down stadium. The soul of football is dying a gruesome death in San Diego, and what's the Chargers' solution? Move to Los Angeles. Where basically no one wants them.

At this point if they don't move to LA and have to move back to SD, they've damaged their reputation and are hosed. If they do move to LA, even less people will care and they're hosed.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

David Bowie knows what kind of poo poo is important to come back to life for.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
There is no way San Diego gets any kind of deal with the Chargers. They could maybe steal the Jaguars or get an expansion sure, but the Chargers are gone forever.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I would gladly show up at Qualcomm to boo the Chargers endlessly and throw poo poo on the field if they came back.

I am not alone in this thinking - the Chargers need to stay gone at this point for their safety. They'll figure out something in LA.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahahahaha people in my office are now saying "This gives San Diego great leverage to build a new stadium!"

Poor little fools.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Twitter is excited about the LA Rams, as for the Chargers... crickets.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
If I win the Powerball I'll just have to build one of these stadiums that seems to be in such high demand.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is the wettest farts of anticlimaxes

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Seriously, does this mean Spanos is going to drag this out even more? I mean he doesn't want to lose the SoCal market exclusivity but that's over now anyway, might as well cut yer fuckin losses son.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

That lists their stadium as Anaheim Stadium...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
So now it's possible Spanos is stuck in SD AND he doesn't get any money?

That's pretty cool and good.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Choegemeier/status/687065390640435200

https://twitter.com/AllanjLewis/status/686714196457750528

https://twitter.com/autiger8l5/status/687079473590620160

https://twitter.com/cobwebcreature/status/687079109105614848

I dunno what the gently caress that third one means

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
If Chargers fans are looking for someone to root for, you do still have a recent national champion football team:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The Raiders have started their next round of ransom negotiations already

http://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...ery=/A3ZJnXt3fr

quote:

Mark Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders, is scheduled to meet with Las Vegas Sands Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson on Friday, possibly to discuss stadium details. A potential move by the Raiders to Los Angeles earlier this month was rejected by the NFL. Abboud said Las Vegas Sands has had conversations with officials from other NFL teams as well.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

seiferguy posted:

I feel like there are more Patriots fans in LA than Charger fans.

If the team flounders and doesn't win, they aren't going to build much interest and more or less fade away into oblivion. This is especially concerning considering Phillip Rivers is on the wrong side of 35.

Allow me to channel my inner programmer and say you don't need an if statement here.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Febreeze posted:

I can't believe how badly the Chargers played themselves on this thing.

-They announce that they are loving over San Diego late on Wednesday
-The very next morning release a new logo (Either for marketing purposes or as an actual rebrand, doesn't matter), seemingly unaware that the extreme anger they just caused is going to cause backlash out the rear end.
-The logo itself honestly isn't that terrible. It's bland, but if they had just announced it on a much later date it probably wouldn't get the same level of hate and sheer mockery. But because the Chargers are loving idiots, they release a bland new logo directly after they give San Diego the middle finger, when everyone is already mad at them.
-They backpedal hardcore, delete the announcement tweet, claim the logo was just a temporary thing to help market the move or whatever, which reeks of "We didn't expect this amount of hate"
-They change the logo, but do not address any of the actual criticisms. Nobody was really laughing at the colors.

The Chargers are so dumb. I can almost guarantee you the logo was worked on for a while (or possibly shat out by a pro who had to do it in a weekend and didn't give a gently caress). I can also almost guarantee you that the similarity to the Dodgers logo was intentional, as "Los Angeles Brand Synergy". I can straight up see a Chargers executive pitching the new logo with that exact phrase.

Yeah I once did a logo design for a railroad company in Pennsylvania, I made about 8 really neat logos, in the end he just said "nah copy the Steelers logo to show we ship steel, just don't get me in legal trouble"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ripple effects from the Chargers

https://twitter.com/2NewSports/status/824335727664128000

Holiday Bowl apparently in talks to play the game at PETCO Park

• Locked thread