Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SA2K posted:

San Diego County basically said on Tuesday they'd write the chargers a check for a billion dollars for a stadium

I'm sure that, in the end, they'll make money off this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
:raise:

quote:

2. So who would move? This is all speculation, but I could see Oakland staying in the AFC West and San Diego moving to the NFC West to join a more geographically aligned division. It would be easy for the St. Louis Rams to move to the AFC West because it would mean the Rams and Chiefs would be able to form the kind of cross-state rivalry that could be excellent for both teams, and especially the occasionally attendance-strapped Rams. So that would leave Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis and the L.A. Raiders as the new AFC West; Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona and the L.A. Chargers would make up the more geographically smart NFC West. It really wouldn’t be a very difficult solve, assuming the Chargers, who have always been an AFL or AFC team (they played their first season, 1960, in Los Angeles), wouldn’t make too big of a stink about moving to the NFC.

Honestly I can't imagine the Chargers in the NFC although I have to admit watching Rivers take on Seattle and San Francisco would be a thing of beauty.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/polls/2015/jul/whats-more-important-san-diego-comic-con-or-charge/results/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Raiders in the NFC just seems wrong. When I think "AFC" I think of teams like the Steelers and the Raiders.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lol at believing that NFL teams only bring in a few million a year in profit.

If cities and such are gonna pay for stadium costs they should also get a proportional cut of the profits. None of this "it will increase local economic activity!" handwaving bullshit, a direct cut of the profits.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/7/20/9006401/nfl-teams-revenue-tv-deal-7-billion

quote:

Since 1997, American taxpayers have contributed a total of $4.7 billion for NFL stadiums.

quote:

The NFL split a massive $7.24 billion in 2014 revenue with all 32 teams.

I'm going to take this opportunity to make some selective quotation, as it goes:

Volkerball posted:

Re: Stadium chat, it feels good to just say "Owners should pay for everything, they're rich," but it's naive. 19 NFL owners have less than $2b in total assets, not including the Packers. A stadium today costs about a billion. Many of these teams are inherited from men who got into football when it wasn't insanely expensive, and football teams aren't absurdly profitable. The average NFL team is worth $1.43b. So people having to liquidate their holdings and lose hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium isn't the exception to the rule, it's what would happen in most cases. You build the stadium, you lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and you don't own the team anymore. Who's going to do that? The reality is many, many teams would just do what Mark Davis ($500m in assets) is doing, and run lovely old stadiums into the ground because they can't get a deal done for anything better. Eventually, the team would be dissolved because there's no feasible way to build a stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Where would the Raiders be today if Al Davis hadn't fired Gruden?

• Locked thread