Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So if they both move wouldn't one team have to switch divisions/conferences? I can't see two teams from the same division in the same stadium being viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I still like the idea of finding a fourth. AFC Los Angeles division.

Move the entire AFC West there. The brawls would be spectacular.

SA2K posted:

I have to believe that this is going to make either the city of San Diego or the city of Oakland cave

I'm guessing it's SD that caves. Oakland I don't think has the finances or desire to keep the team. Plus there's the whole situation with the A's to consider there as well.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I would definitely prefer that over sharing a stadium. Especially since I'm pretty sure the A's already have their situation figured out, so if Oakland caved, it would just be for the Raiders, and could be all personalized and decked out in silver and black like the niners new stadium.

Wait are the A's definitely moving to San Jose or did they work out something with the County?

thompson posted:

I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this.

So do you think Oakland does then? I can't see them budging either.

Related, I was in San Diego for the first time earlier this month and it's such a great city but it seems like getting to LA would be a hassle. I didn't really comprehend how far the distance was until I was talking to someone who had to fly into LAX and drive down. It took over 2 hours. I think people here on the East Coast don't really get how spread out things are when you cross the Mississippi.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

IIRC i think they made a deal to tear down the coliseum and build a new stadium there.

So that would mean the Raiders really aren't bluffing then since they're about to not have a stadium to play in.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thompson posted:

I would think so too. That seems quite light. Do we know how much they have pledged to the Carson location? I know they said they only pledged that much because of "market opportunity" but I don't remember how much it was. There's also an interesting read about potentially bonding out 200m of the stadium which has precedent with the Convention Center. There's a number of creative ways to do this, but i'm afraid they all involve taxing the public in some way and 2/3 is a lot to ask for there.

The article you posted had a solution that involves an $800MM loan to the Chargers at favorable interest rates for 30-40 years in the form of issuing bonds. That seems like a pretty good compromise, unless the Chargers ownership is deadset on moving out of the city.

The article comments also brings up asking the NFL to kick in more from its stadium loan program. I could see the owners going for that if it prevents a 3 teams in LA nightmare scenario.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Would the league step in and try to control the LA market if both the Rams plan and the Chargers/Raiders shared stadium seem like they're coming together? Do they even mind?

It seems like the Rams are the closest to actually moving but Oakland is also without any real traction on getting a stadium, but it just seems a little nuts that the league would be fine with two (and maybe three) owners just showing up in the same city in a year or two.

Considering how the NFL fought tooth and nail against Davis the first time this happened and that the pattern in other leagues is for the commissioner to do whatever backroom poo poo needs to happen to extract a stadium deal out of a city (unless you're helping your buddy move his new team to Oklahoma I guess), it just seems completely out of left field for Goodell to be totally fine with trying to transplant three different franchises to a new city nearly simultaneously.

A supreme Court case related to I think the Ram's move to St Louis basically says the league can't do poo poo to stop a team from moving.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I won't be happy if there's a pro team in St. Louis. Let the "best fans in baseball" have baseball.

I really hate smug Cardinals fans, but losing your team is pretty rough, even if they're going back somewhere they used to play.

Also the idea of the St. Louis Chargers is absurd to me. No way that happens, it's way too weird. If you have to have a team in St. Louis move the Titans or Colts or something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Applying for relocation doesn't actually mean they'll get approved... Right??? :smith:

You probably don't make this announcement now if you haven't privately done your homework and found you have the votes or are close to having the votes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
this sucks for the chargers' season though. people talk about "locker room distractions" all the time, which i think is usually bullshit, however i think the prospect of playing in a completely different city next year is gonna gently caress with some people's heads.

also gonna probably lead to chargers fans in san diego acting like cleveland fans did when the browns moved. really sucks for them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ross Angeles posted:

Realistic possibilities:

Rams move to LA
Rams and Chargers move to LA
Chargers and Raiders move to LA
Chargers move to LA

Why is no one considering Rams+Raiders? It fixes the whole "2 teams in the same division sharing a stadium" nonsense and avoids having to re-work the divisions.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Kroenke extended the offer to the Chargers to share a stadium, and very specifically didn't offer the Raiders the same option. Seems Kroenke really doesn't want to work with Davis.

gently caress that, the NFL should force them to work together. It's the only plan that makes sense. The Raiders absolutely have to have a new stadium, the Colosseum is literally falling apart and needs Solo cups everywhere to keep water from flooding things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am sorry SA2k and other Charger fans. The TFF family is here for you in this time of despair.

Or well, we'll make a bunch of LA Chargers jokes I guess.

getting your team moved sucks.

• Locked thread